The Austin Auction begins...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest quotes from Sir Les:

“Newcastle might have enquired by speaking to the chairman, but no bid has come in from Newcastle for Charlie. We had an offer come in for Matty Phillips that was well below what we value him at, so we turned the offer down.

We also had an offer for Charlie (from Leicester) which, again, was not where we want it to be. If they continue to offer that kind of money then I’ll be pleased because we’ll end up keeping the players. They [Austin and Phillips] are aware of the situation. They’re fine and are just getting on with what they’ve got to do.

You’re a professional for Queens Park Rangers at this moment in time. Until that changes I expect your professionalism in everything that you do – and so far they have been absolutely bang on.”

Read more: http://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/n...s-football8193

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanley View Post
      Latest quotes from Sir Les:

“Newcastle might have enquired by speaking to the chairman, but no bid has come in from Newcastle for Charlie. We had an offer come in for Matty Phillips that was well below what we value him at, so we turned the offer down.

We also had an offer for Charlie (from Leicester) which, again, was not where we want it to be. If they continue to offer that kind of money then I’ll be pleased because we’ll end up keeping the players. They [Austin and Phillips] are aware of the situation. They’re fine and are just getting on with what they’ve got to do.

You’re a professional for Queens Park Rangers at this moment in time. Until that changes I expect your professionalism in everything that you do – and so far they have been absolutely bang on.”

Im glad that we have set an acknowledged value, I'm sure every club knows this value and it is good to see that anything below those exact numbers are getting thrown out immediately. Les is looking to be the most shrewd of acquisitions at the moment; even I was very skeptical of him last season but to his credit, he's done a lot right.
      "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Latest quotes from Sir Les:

Once Harry left and we set a new model for our transfer dealings I thought we would have seen the last of little old QPR being a big player on SSN Deadline Day - clearly though, people are going to offer below market value for these players right up until the last knockings and finally at 11.59 on the final day, they will open their cheque books and pay what's right.
        Just so long as we have ourselves sorted and don't end up with a Remy situation, then that's the way it has to be.
        #standuptocancer
        #inyourfacecancer

Comment

• Originally posted by Bluehoop View Post
          Once Harry left and we set a new model for our transfer dealings I thought we would have seen the last of little old QPR being a big player on SSN Deadline Day - clearly though, people are going to offer below market value for these players right up until the last knockings and finally at 11.59 on the final day, they will open their cheque books and pay what's right.
          Just so long as we have ourselves sorted and don't end up with a Remy situation, then that's the way it has to be.
          The only alternative to avoiding such a scenario is to give the players and their respective agents the club's OWN prior deadline to find new clubs, which if they miss then they'll remain QPR players even if their actual valuations are met post-deadline. Thus protecting the clubs interests of not disrupting our pre-season and giving us enough time to get in suitable replacements.

Not sure how realistic the above would be in practice?...

Comment

The only alternative to avoiding such a scenario is to give the players and their respective agents the club's OWN prior deadline to find new clubs, which if they miss then they'll remain QPR players even if their actual valuations are met post-deadline. Thus protecting the clubs interests of not disrupting our pre-season and giving us enough time to get in suitable replacements.

With the way things have gone so far, I wouldn't put it beyond Les to have told them and their agents this and have them accept it.
            "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

• Dont f*rk with Sir Les

Comment

• West Ham are apparently going to offer Nolan + Jarvis + Cash for Austin.

I hope there is an absolute NO in reply

Comment

• Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
                  West Ham are apparently going to offer Nolan + Jarvis + Cash for Austin.

I hope there is an absolute NO in reply
                  Should just call them up now to tell them not to even bother making the offer.

Comment

Not sure how realistic the above would be in practise?...
                    Thats my worry Stan. You can attempt to set a deadline for any transfer but in reality if the valuation is met or even a premium is added to the valuation because of the late offer it is going to be hard for the club to reject it knowing charlie will walk for free next summer. Add to that if the player finds out his valuation was met but the offer was after the "deadline" set by us he may be affected mentally somewhat. In reality the only real deadline is when the window closes as clubs are not allowed to sign anyone, while offers can still be made every player has their price

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
                      With the way things have gone so far, I wouldn't put it beyond Les to have told them and their agents this and have them accept it.
                      In theory I agree that players and agents have been told they go nowhere unless the valuations are met - and I suspect both players understand and accept that. Not sure you can put a deadline on it though - if desperate Club's come wading in with the figures at the 11th hour then (rightly IMO) the players should be allowed to move. With Charlie though, If I were the buying Club, I would want a proper medical in plenty of time given what happened with Hull the other year. Yes, he has proven to us that the issue he has can be managed and his desire to play through pain is not in doubt, but some Clubs won't take that risk.
                      #standuptocancer
                      #inyourfacecancer

Comment

• Originally posted by Hove Ranger View Post
                        Thats my worry Stan. You can attempt to set a deadline for any transfer but in reality if the valuation is met or even a premium is added to the valuation because of the late offer it is going to be hard for the club to reject it knowing charlie will walk for free next summer.
                        That wouldn't appear to be a problem given all the noises that have come out of the club on that very issue.

Originally posted by Hove Ranger View Post
                        Add to that if the player finds out his valuation was met but the offer was after the "deadline" set by us he may be affected mentally somewhat.
                        Unless they were warned and prepared for such a scenario in advance. Perhaps even have such stipulations written into contracts?...

Comment

That wouldn't appear to be a problem given all the noises that have come out of the club on that very issue.
                          Agree somewhat but then the pr/media message isnt always the exact sentiment of the club. They have to be consistent with their stance particularly in the media. They are hardly going to say in the media "we really need to get rid as we cannot lose him on a free" or something along those lines because teams would just undercut us on the valuation.

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
                          Unless they were warned and prepared for such a scenario in advance. Perhaps even have such stipulations written into contracts?...
                          You can warn someone and prepare them for anything but how they actually react to the incident can be completely different. Im not say he is that type of guy but stranger things have happened. Also not sure how it can be retrospectively written into a players contract and not sure how it benefits Charlie to adjust it now. Hopefully the valuation is met in good time and this scenario isnt necessary

Comment

• Originally posted by Hove Ranger View Post
                            not sure how it can be retrospectively written into a players contract and not sure how it benefits Charlie to adjust it now.
                            Yes I agree. I meant regarding future signings, as a possible way to redress the modern day player-power situation...

Comment

Yes I agree. I meant regarding future signings, as a possible way to redress the modern day player-power situation...
                              Certainly agree with that Stan. We need to be drawing up contracts that favour us in the future rather than the player

Comment

• Simple answer is to add £1m per week to the price. That way, if we are short of time to get replacements, those that have messed us about can stump up the extra, not us. Seems only fair.

Comment

Working...
                                X