No announcement yet.

Washington!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No, let the slander run wild anarchy in watrb!!!! Viva la revolucion!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanley View Post
      Slander is of course unhelpful. The debate is far from lost though, as has been clearly demonstrated throughout the thread.

Ultimately it just comes down to differences of opinion, and Washington is certainly one who divides them.

However I think the majority of us now have faith in our manager, and as he said yesterday:

“Washington is a huge part of my plans – I just want people to be patient.”

- Ian Holloway
      He meant mental patient Stan.

The slander quote was in reference to the post it was under, not the entire thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by hal9thou View Post
        I said months ago I agreed with Naz on CW. I thought it was a dodgy signing in the first place.

Naz and I have had loads of run ins: I didn't want JFH here for example, and Naz defended him.

But on Washington we agree. You think he's decent at this level. And you claim to understand the game..... course you do.
        He's not into reading my stuff so he assumes there's no data in it. I appreciate the fact that despite our many disagreements, we have no disagreement on a personal level and more just on the discussion itself, as shown by us agreeing on this. It gets to the point with some that they go out of their way to make a point to ignore my argument and disagree because they dislike me.
        "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

• Do we all agree that 1.5 goals doesn't exist? As data or as a stat.
          Or would that make Nas wrong? Equally as impossible.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dunraven View Post
            Do we all agree that 1.5 goals doesn't exist? As data or as a stat.
            Ball half over the line..... half a goal??
            SIR LESLIE FERDINAND!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dunraven View Post
              Do we all agree that 1.5 goals doesn't exist? As data or as a stat.
              It's truly an honour to see that you really want to spend your time trying to get me to be wrong. It tells me a lot. Also the fact that you want others to agree with you so you feel like you're more right.

As I've said before, everything needs context. Washington has been rewarded with 2 league goals, in my opinion, one of them is more Polter's goal than his as the keeper had the initial shot without the deflection covered. Hence I feel that saying that he's scored 2 goals gives Washington more credit than he's due for his performances so far. If Ollie sees him as the future, I will continue to back him as I have done at matches, and I hope Ollie is right for our sake. The player is a good kid, a hard worker but from what I've seen in the last 12 months with us, he's not a good striker. I hope he proves me wrong.

But as I recall, there was a thread created or added to once he scored against Norwich or Fulham which was Pinkie or someone calling me out saying that "they told me so"... Everyone was so excited that he finally scored and there was this feeling that he would go on to do more and then he didn't. And no one made threads questioning his ability, no one called him out with it's own thread. The only time threads came about was when a transfer story or suggestion came forward. From what I've seen, the desire to not move him on from people here is more to do with the fact that a lot of people have said so much from the beginning about how good he could be and selling him would be an admission to being incorrect, and no one, including myself likes being wrong.

The oddity to me is that someone like Yeni who admittedly hasn't done much at all and hasn't been impressive despite coming with quite a bit of interest, from myself in particular, has already had a lot of the same people supporting Washington suggesting that he should be moved on, despite him being in the same boat Washington was in. The difference between them for me is that Yeni actually has consistent goalscoring pedigree in the past, and not just 6 months in a lower league. Neither player has done much since being here, but people seem to want to afford Washington more time, even though he's had double the time Yeni has without any injury or family tragedy to back it up.
              "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

• Eh? Spent about 10 seconds writing that, no time at all.
                This 1.5 goals thing though, YOU are WRONG. Accept it as fact.
                No need for the off-topic essay.

Comment

• On the stats thing, how many times has Washington started as a striker in a partnership?

He scored his goals with a strike partner, so lets assume that's his best position.

Our current format allows for him to play alongside Mackie or Sylla.

So if he hasn't been playing upfront, i wouldn't expect him to score all that much. The guy is clearly not a worldy, but doesn't mean he can't score afew good goals for us and use some of that effort to undermine defensive lines and disrupt the box. Mackie does it and we love him for it.

Comment

• Do fans generally give English players a bit more time to impress maybe?

Comment

• Originally posted by Brian Wilson View Post
                      Do fans generally give English players a bit more time to impress maybe?
                      He's N.Irish, can't claim him as English it'll upset him.

Seriously I think many do give 'British' players more time, more of an assumption though.

Couldn't care less personally if they were all from Namibia and single Mums, if they are good folk and play entertaining football i'm game.

Comment

• Originally posted by hal9thou View Post
                        I said months ago I agreed with Naz on CW. I thought it was a dodgy signing in the first place.

Naz and I have had loads of run ins: I didn't want JFH here for example, and Naz defended him.

But on Washington we agree. You think he's decent at this level. And you claim to understand the game..... course you do.
                        Sorry was this supposed to be directed at myself?

Don't put words in my mouth now lad, I didn't say I think he is good at this level categorically. I've said I see flashes of potential and even suggested he go out on loan. I just won't be so harsh to write the guy off just yet. Only a mug would write CW off right now IMO.

Let's not treat yours and Nassers words as gospel. If I was a betting man, I'd say the closest you and Nasser have come to understanding the game is a career mode on FIFA 17.

Comment

• Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
                          He's not into reading my stuff so he assumes there's no data in it. I appreciate the fact that despite our many disagreements, we have no disagreement on a personal level and more just on the discussion itself, as shown by us agreeing on this. It gets to the point with some that they go out of their way to make a point to ignore my argument and disagree because they dislike me.
                          FFS man, you can reply to me directly! How old are you?!

Comment

• Originally posted by West London is Rss View Post
                            FFS man, you can reply to me directly! How old are you?!
                            It's pretty obvious given my username. I was more having a nice response to Hal though, mentioning you was an afterthought, more just thanking Hal for being someone who is very open to discussion without just shooting me down for being boring.

Comment

• Originally posted by West London is Rss View Post
                              I'd say the closest you and Nasser have come to understanding the game is a career mode on FIFA 17.
                              I made no claims to understanding anything, although I've done a 50 year stretch watching us lot........

Comment

• No response from Nas on the 1.5 goals = nonsense?

Comment

Working...
                                X