Washington!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
    During the Euros? Or in qualifying because he was god awful in the competition itself.
    Genuine question how can you be so scathing of Washington but so defensive of Chery who really was an awful player

Comment

• Nas, I keep seeing you state he's scored 1.5 goals in a year. Care to explain as I'm obviously missing something?

Comment

• Originally posted by brightonr View Post
        Nas, I keep seeing you state he's scored 1.5 goals in a year. Care to explain as I'm obviously missing something?
        Goal at Fulham went in off Polter

Comment

• Originally posted by brightonr View Post
          Nas, I keep seeing you state he's scored 1.5 goals in a year. Care to explain as I'm obviously missing something?
          Goal against Fulham was Polter's and wouldn't have gone in without it touching Polter. IIRC the only reason it wasn't given to Polter is because he was offside.

As for west's point, I criticised polter when we sold fer and people may remember me saying he would never be near the level of Fer. Once Fer left, Chery came back and started playing well and kept it up really until a recent phase where he's been awful and I've agreed with people on that. With that being said, calling him an awful player is a huge overstatement. He got goals and assists, however they came, he gave results. When he stopped doing that, it was the right time to move him on. Washington has not given results for a year and has yet to come under as much fire as Chery did in the last few weeks that he's been really disappointing.

What I find interesting is that expectation has such a huge implication on how people judge players. Chery was miles miles better than Washington but because people expected more from chery, he's awful while Washington has potential because people don't expect as much from him. Running around is good enough and he's not as awful as Chery is.
          "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

• In my humble opinion Chery was awful player as his absence from the team has demonstrated so kudos to Ollie for dropping him

He might have scored the odd goal here and there but he totally disabled the team and what he brought to the table did not outweigh the negative impact he had.

Washington is average player but a trier so will give him credit for that I don't think when he plays he makes us any worse as was the case with Chery

Comment

• Really absolutely no point with debating Nasser on most topics - with respect. Especially the Washington one.

The game is all about opinions, but Nasser's are baffling and hard to accept at the best of times.

When I think of Nasser, I think of the saying 'pot kettle black'.

Comment

• Washington has looked ok at times. I feel a bit sorry for him. Mostly we have not played to his strengths. Needs to be in a 4-4-2 to allow him space to be effective.

Has struggled and do wonder whether a loan move would help him get some confidence back. If he could start scoring the rest of his game isn't bad.

An easy target due to his lack of goals but I'm open minded.

We do though in my view need two strikers in if he is to join the exodus.

Comment

• Originally posted by West Acton View Post
                  In my humble opinion Chery was awful player as his absence from the team has demonstrated so kudos to Ollie for dropping him

He might have scored the odd goal here and there but he totally disabled the team and what he brought to the table did not outweigh the negative impact he had.

Washington is average player but a trier so will give him credit for that I don't think when he plays he makes us any worse as was the case with Chery
                  Very good post west and I totally agree, allbeit I'd have Washington down as slightly better than average albeit we haven't seen it enough
                  I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

• Originally posted by FurtiveFox View Post
                    Washington has looked ok at times. I feel a bit sorry for him. Mostly we have not played to his strengths. Needs to be in a 4-4-2 to allow him space to be effective.

Has struggled and do wonder whether a loan move would help him get some confidence back. If he could start scoring the rest of his game isn't bad.

An easy target due to his lack of goals but I'm open minded.

We do though in my view need two strikers in if he is to join the exodus.
                    Spot on foxy
                    I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

• Originally posted by West London is Rss View Post
                      Nasser's are baffling and hard to accept at the best of times.
                      Have to disagree there. His arguments are not baffling because he often supports them with data. You may disagree with the way the data is interpreted, but on Washington both the data and the evidence in front of our eyes tells us that the lad needs confidence. He needs a drop in a class. Both Washington and Polter were iffy as purchases but that didn't stop Les getting stuck in. He is responsible for those decisions, then again many of us thought his own appointment was lame.

re the Euros I thought they looked far more dangerous every time CW came off the pitch, but there we go.

Comment

• Originally posted by hal9thou View Post
                        Have to disagree there. His arguments are not baffling because he often supports them with data. You may disagree with the way the data is interpreted, but on Washington both the data and the evidence in front of our eyes tells us that the lad needs confidence. He needs a drop in a class. Both Washington and Polter were iffy as purchases but that didn't stop Les getting stuck in. He is responsible for those decisions, then again many of us thought his own appointment was lame.

re the Euros I thought they looked far more dangerous every time CW came off the pitch, but there we go.
                        If it baffles people that statistics validate my point, then that's not my argument being baffling, that's them not accepting the closest thing to facts that we have in football. If I don't know the numbers, I try not to make judgements because then my arguments would be purely emotional and I wouldn't be able to back things up with anything other than "That's how I saw it". Now, I have "that's how I saw it" and "That's what the data shows". I'm pretty confident that's a fair argument to make and not really baffling.
                        "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

In my humble opinion Chery was awful player as his absence from the team has demonstrated so kudos to Ollie for dropping him

Ipswich last season, washington starts, gets subbed off for doing nothing, Nasser ElK (who isn't particularly great as is) comes on and we score to win.

Leeds last season, Washington starts, we are losing 1 - 0, gets subbed off for doing nothing, Polter wins a pen and Chery scores to equalise.

General play hasn't improved with him on the pitch much imo and to say that we haven't been worse with him on the pitch unlike with chery, would be ignoring those 2 results above and many other cases where washington not scoring was the difference between a win, a draw and a loss.

Comment

• Play may not have improved but have results Nas???

Comment

Play may not have improved but have results Nas???
                              What? I just proved above results improved in the same bl oody match with him being off the pitch.

Comment

• Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
                                What? I just proved above results improved in the same bl oody match with him being off the pitch.
                                Chill Nas. You gave examples on Washington I'm asking you if results have improved since Cherys absence

Would add I get why you refer to Washington scoring 1.5 goals but whether you like it or not the record books and stats until time stops will say he currently has two goals against his name. That is a fact and a stat

Comment

Working...
                                X