No announcement yet.

Would you welcome a openly gay player to QPR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's often said that people who are most homophobic are in fact gay. GAY GAY GAY! I am neither homophobic nor gay, and openly welcome gay guys as that's more girls for me.

On a more serious note, there are very few intelligent people who are actually homophobic, except perhaps for some religious bigots. Homophobia is the realm of the ignorant, uneducated and frankly rather sad group of people.

Finally, this whole shower thing. It really does show a complete lack of understanding or knowledge (surprise surprise). gay men do not fancy every man. Neither do they want to jump on someone in the showers if they do think they are attractive.

It's one thing have a bit of banter, which is great WHEN YOU KNOW AND ARE GOOD FRIENDS WITH THE PERSON, but another to give abuse to people you don't know on the grounds of their sexuality.

For those of you who do carry out homophobic chanting or name-calling, does it make you feel big and important? Why do you actually do it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Stedders View Post
      It's often said that people who are most homophobic are in fact gay. GAY GAY GAY! I am neither homophobic nor gay, and openly welcome gay guys as that's more girls for me.

On a more serious note, there are very few intelligent people who are actually homophobic, except perhaps for some religious bigots. Homophobia is the realm of the ignorant, uneducated and frankly rather sad group of people.

Finally, this whole shower thing. It really does show a complete lack of understanding or knowledge (surprise surprise). gay men do not fancy every man. Neither do they want to jump on someone in the showers if they do think they are attractive.

It's one thing have a bit of banter, which is great WHEN YOU KNOW AND ARE GOOD FRIENDS WITH THE PERSON, but another to give abuse to people you don't know on the grounds of their sexuality.

For those of you who do carry out homophobic chanting or name-calling, does it make you feel big and important? Why do you actually do it?
      Good post and think 99.9% of people know this, you have to be careful of that 0.01%.

Comment

• No, not the lefties, its an apolitical issue. The club itself today said:

http://www.qpr.co.uk/page/CommunityS...620170,00.html

R'S BACK 'FOOTBALL v HOMOPHOBIA'
        Posted on: Thu 23 Feb 2012

Queens Park Rangers Football Club fully supports Football v Homophobia by The Justin Campaign.

Aimed at raising awareness of homophobia in amateur and professional football, The Justin Campaign attempts to unite Clubs, players and fans internationally by using the game of football to bring communities together in opposing hate and intolerance in the world's favourite sport.

Football v Homophobia is an initiative to get everyone involved in doing their bit to help eradicate prejudice and discrimination based on gender identity or sexuality from the game. Whether you are a fan, a player, a professional club or a football authority, the campaign makes it easy for you to get involved to make a difference.

QPR Club Captain, Joey Barton, recently spent over 90 minutes with a crew from the BBC for their highly-acclaimed BBC Three show 'Britain's Gay Footballers.'

Barton feels close to the issue as his father's youngest brother initially hid his homosexuality. The R's skipper highlighted 'archaic figures' in management positions as an obstacle to gay players.

QPR in the Community Trust continue to work week in, week out, in promoting equality in both sport and the local community, whilst Saturday's matchday programme will also include a full page advert in support of the campaign, further highlighting the Club's commitment.

All 20 top-flight Clubs have signed the Sports Charter, designed to tackle homophobia - which is seen as a significant issue in the game.

R's boss Mark Hughes said recently: "I think everybody's in favour of the charter. I don't think anybody wants to see discrimination of any kind. We don't want it to be prevalent in our game. Everybody accepts that people are different from one person to another. Discrimination should be stamped out because it's not acceptable."

QPR in the Community Trust CEO, Andy Evans, added: "We are fully supportive of this campaign. In addition, we are working across the Club to gain the Equality Standard through the Kick It Out campaign. The message is quite clear - all of our programmes are there for everyone in our neighbourhood to access regardless of their gender, sexuality or race."

The Justin Campaign was founded to demonstrate that ten years after Justin Fashanu's tragic suicide in 1998, homophobia is still hugely prevalent in both grassroots and professional football.

The Justin Campaign kicked off its international week of action for Football v Homophobia last Saturday. The week runs from Feb 18th - Feb 26th, marking Justin Fashanu's birthday on the 19th. The campaign was set up in memory of Justin Fashanu, the only ever out gay male professional footballer who sadly took his own life in 2008.

Along with raising awareness, the campaign has a strong focus on Art, Events, Education and football. Through these four key initiatives and some forward thinking strategic work with other inclusive sporting organisations, The Justin Campaign seeks to challenge the stereotypes and misconceptions that exist around LGB & T (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transsexual) people and work towards a future where the visibility of LGB & T people in football is both accepted and celebrated.

This year's week of action began with the campaign team heading to Hackney Marshes on a cold and muddy day to talk to grassroots players about what they think of the current situation. Referees, players and coaches were all keen to share their views.

Grassroots teams, professional clubs and football authorities will be marking the week with a range of actions, both in this country and abroad.

On February 20th, the FA launched their new strategy to tackle homophobia and transphobia in football, backing Football v Homophobia as the key vehicle to tackle this issue across the game.

Recently, Kick it Out are hosted a panel discussion on homophobia in football in Nottingham, organised alongside Pride Sports and Nottingham Ball Bois.

Other events include a virtual football league competition arranged in Tonbridge by K college, 5-a-side tournaments at Sussex University and Norwich, and a range of professional clubs marking the occasion in their match day programmes.

To see a video of the visit to Hackney Marshes, photos of events, to find out about other events going on around the country, or to see what you can do to get involved and make a difference, visit the website: www.footballvhomophobia.com.

http://www.qpr.co.uk/page/CommunityS...620170,00.html
        Last edited by Stanley; 23-02-2012, 03:07 PM.

Comment

It's often said that people who are most homophobic are in fact gay. GAY GAY GAY! I am neither homophobic nor gay, and openly welcome gay guys as that's more girls for me.

??? we would do it for the same reason we chant and abuse opposition players already...to get under their skin...to make them feel hated and abused. Its what fans do...supporters support you know mate

Comment

• Originally posted by MYU View Post
            Good post and think 99.9% of people know this, you have to be careful of that 0.01%.
            What about the other 0.99% ?

Comment

• if we do get a homosexual playing for our team i hope he's full on like Julian Clary or someone make up, nails and effeminate screams with a girly voice when tackled that would be hilarious

Comment

Is it because they're densitivitally challenged?

Comment

• Blimey do we really need another thread on this subject.... hasn't it been done to death?

EDIT: Just realised this is the old thread that's just been reopened....

Comment

• Originally posted by vblockranger View Post
                    if we do get a homosexual playing for our team i hope he's full on like Julian Clary or someone make up, nails and effeminate screams with a girly voice when tackled that would be hilarious

I doubt it will happen, vblock. Just like it wasn't obvious when all the other gay players have pulled on Rangers shirts in the past.

Amusing little story. A gay friend of mine gave me an unwrapped and "sprayed once" bottle of Calvin Klein perfume the night before last to give to my wife.

"I bought it in Debenhams on Saturday" he said. "But it doesn't say 'pour homme' on it".

He told me last night that he was "angry and going to complain", because he picked it up in the mens aftershave section. His eyesight isn't the best, obviously. Did make me laugh.

Comment

??? we would do it for the same reason we chant and abuse opposition players already...to get under their skin...to make them feel hated and abused. Its what fans do...supporters support you know mate
                      Yes but do you think this subject is an acceptable one to chant about? bearing in mind the difficulty many young gay people have accepting they are gay and then telling their families, and the abuse they get for it at times... It is quite different to chanting "strawberry blonde you're having a laugh" which is genuinely witty, or chanting other quite humourous banter.

Chanting homophobic stuff is not only illegal but also very very cliched. You only have to read the very poor humour on here on the subject of gay people to realise that nothing new is being said, the humour is old and the people saying it are a bit thick. how many references to 'chocolate starfish', showers and all that do you need? None of them are funny, they're cr@p jokes.

If i was gay and someone came up with something genuinely amusing and meant as a joke, then I'd probably laugh. The issue is that most of the time it isn't actually meant as a joke at all. And therein lies the problem.

And finally, supporting your team is not the same as abusing the opposition. If anyone thinks chanting at Terry etc is supporting our team they are naive.

Comment

• pardon the pun ...but this thread is a bag of b ollix!!!!
                        PRIDE OF LONDON.

Comment

Yes but do you think this subject is an acceptable one to chant about? bearing in mind the difficulty many young gay people have accepting they are gay and then telling their families, and the abuse they get for it at times... It is quite different to chanting "strawberry blonde you're having a laugh" which is genuinely witty, or chanting other quite humourous banter.

Chanting homophobic stuff is not only illegal but also very very cliched. You only have to read the very poor humour on here on the subject of gay people to realise that nothing new is being said, the humour is old and the people saying it are a bit thick. how many references to 'chocolate starfish', showers and all that do you need? None of them are funny, they're cr@p jokes.

If i was gay and someone came up with something genuinely amusing and meant as a joke, then I'd probably laugh. The issue is that most of the time it isn't actually meant as a joke at all. And therein lies the problem.

And finally, supporting your team is not the same as abusing the opposition. If anyone thinks chanting at Terry etc is supporting our team they are naive.
                          thats a good post mate and very well put but thats my point...i want to unsettle the gay player, i want to rile him up and make him hurt because i want him to misplace a pass or shoot wide of the goal. I hope what he hears from the terraces hurts him and unsettles him and im not at all concerned with his feelings. If once more players come out openly and we have some on our team then its a whole different story as i wouldnt want my player upset. Its the first few who come out that are going to suffer the most

Comment

thats a good post mate and very well put but thats my point...i want to unsettle the gay player, i want to rile him up and make him hurt because i want him to misplace a pass or shoot wide of the goal. I hope what he hears from the terraces hurts him and unsettles him and im not at all concerned with his feelings. If once more players come out openly and we have some on our team then its a whole different story as i wouldnt want my player upset. Its the first few who come out that are going to suffer the most
                            And you think that is actually okay, morally, to do? Seriously you need a reality check. People actually commit suicide and fall into depression because of this sort of thing and you think it is acceptable as it might make them make a mistake on a football pitch in a game. If you think about it again, maybe with some perspective, so you think you are not being extremely out of order?

That isn't supporting, that's abuse, it is a very different thing. I want QPR to win, but not like that, not through abuse. it is a crowd version of diving, it's just completely not on.

Comment

And therein lies the problem. It's going to take a very brave young man to be the first. My guess is that the first will be a retired player or one nearing the end of their career.

The thing I find very sad is that the overwhelming majority of fans don't give a hoot as to whether a player is gay or not, as it is totally irrelevant. Unfortunately, the player is likely not to be aware of this fact and even if they are, would still find it tough to cope with the bigoted minority.

Comment

And you think that is actually okay, morally, to do? Seriously you need a reality check. People actually commit suicide and fall into depression because of this sort of thing and you think it is acceptable as it might make them make a mistake on a football pitch in a game. If you think about it again, maybe with some perspective, so you think you are not being extremely out of order?

That isn't supporting, that's abuse, it is a very different thing. I want QPR to win, but not like that, not through abuse. it is a crowd version of diving, it's just completely not on.
                                then its different opinions then i guess because to me its acceptable. I dont go through life worrying whether i offend peoples gender/religion/sexuality, sticks and stones boo hoo. Now man up and get over it.

Comment

Working...
                                X