Jan 23 Incomings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FurtiveFox View Post
    Ashley Barnes is an odd one. I saw him a number of times after he signed for Brighton some years ago now. He looked League One standard but he went on to be a decent player for them. Burnley under Dyche were set up to be organised and difficult to play against so not easy to be a striker there and standing out but again he went on to be a first team regular there for a while.

I wouldn't expect him to score lots but could see him being useful competition/back up for Dykes and could bring other attacking players more into the game.

Not an exciting potential signing but can see the sense in it.
    An older version of Dykes and being his deputy isnt going to resolve our scoring problems.

We want someone different to Dykes could play alongside him if needed.

Do we need a Dykes clone?

Comment

• I wouldn’t mind Barnes - we could do with someone with a bit of experience and a bit nasty.

Comment

• Ashley Barnes would be a decent signing. People need to wake up if they think we're going to sign a proven 20 goal a season man!

Barnes won't score 20 goals but the lad is an absolute menace to defenders. If people think Dykes works hard, watch this lad go. Proper old school centre forward who bullies defenders and will get double figures a season in terms of goals.

I think it's quite clear Critchley wants to play 4231 and you need a proper centre forward to play that way in the Championship. Personally I don't think Dykes is that man, he gets bullied far too often and offers very little 90% of the time.

Barnes up top with Lowe, Chair and a fully fit firing Willock in behind will cause serious issues for teams. Get a proper defensive midfielder in the team in the mould of Derry and we're looking much stronger.

Comment

• Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post

A goal every five games for Burnley and 33 yrs old! Surely we can find someone younger and a bit more prolific?

If this comes off its nothing about recruirment stats, its what we can afford and who's svailable.

I can see his contract is up in the summer but Burnley have a one year option. From his length of service and age they would surely release him. Hopefully this is only a loan to the end of the season and we'd look for better options in the summer?

All seems a bit desperate to me.
          Agreed. Always happy to see new players come in, and nothing against the guy himself, but I'm at a loss as to where our transfer policy is at this moment in time. Why constantly plead poverty yet loan in older more expensive players, who in 6 months time will return to their parent club and we'll be in exactly the same position we are now.
          ​​​​​

Comment

• Id take him in a heart beat he's got the ill stick one on you attitude and may wake some of our soft touches up especially in training, he's a better finisher than dykes for a start

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattyqpr View Post
              Ashley Barnes would be a decent signing. People need to wake up if they think we're going to sign a proven 20 goal a season man!

Barnes won't score 20 goals but the lad is an absolute menace to defenders. If people think Dykes works hard, watch this lad go. Proper old school centre forward who bullies defenders and will get double figures a season in terms of goals.

I think it's quite clear Critchley wants to play 4231 and you need a proper centre forward to play that way in the Championship. Personally I don't think Dykes is that man, he gets bullied far too often and offers very little 90% of the time.

Barnes up top with Lowe, Chair and a fully fit firing Willock in behind will cause serious issues for teams. Get a proper defensive midfielder in the team in the mould of Derry and we're looking much stronger.
              His 33 nearly 34 and over weight . Your in dream land you think he will do anything different to dykes .
              Was never a good football player However I agree his is nasty and dirty player defenders hate playing against
              but we are probably 3 years too late . It’s lazy recruitment. We get fed all this rubbish about stats and recruitment and we only sign players if there stats match what we are looking for . Shows it’s all make belief. The recruitment manager has no experience of this job . His been at the club 10 plus years and was a data analyst. Our recruitment is the worst in the league .

Comment

• Originally posted by Kingaustin View Post

His 33 nearly 34 and over weight . Your in dream land you think he will do anything different to dykes .
                Was never a good football player However I agree his is nasty and dirty player defenders hate playing against
                but we are probably 3 years too late . It’s lazy recruitment. We get fed all this rubbish about stats and recruitment and we only sign players if there stats match what we are looking for . Shows it’s all make belief. The recruitment manager has no experience of this job . His been at the club 10 plus years and was a data analyst. Our recruitment is the worst in the league .
                Considering he's been fit all season, he's clearly not overweight. I could do more than Dykes. The lad gets bullied week in week out, barely jumps for the ball, has pathetic hold up play and can't hit a barn door. I'd take a 40 year old, 16 stone Barnes over Dykes tbh.

As for stats recruitment, how do you know it's rubbish? Why wouldn't Barnes fit the criteria were looking for? I agree age is against him but in terms of a lone striker, his attributes tick many boxes.

Comment

• We could probably do with a bit of experience up top. Barnes has a lot of experience in this league and Premiership. Not an exciting addition but we are crying out for some grit on all parts of the pitch.

Comment

• Barnes is a bit old with not a lot of pace but he is an old fashioned centre forward who is aggressive , good in the air , loads of experience and great at holding the ball up and bringing others into the game , which in my opinion is the complete opposite of Dykes who just runs around a lot. He would suit our style of lay , with Chair, Willock , Lowe or Roberts playing as the 3 behind the striker.
                    Some of you say he does'nt fit our transfer policy of young players that we can sell on for a profit but as we are so close to the play offs its worth a 6 month loan to help a side thats been crying out for a striker all season.

Comment

• When did holding the ball up become a skill? Foot on ball, #### or back into defender, arms out wide, look left/right and pass accordingly.

Comment

• Would say this lad would give maximum effort , 33 is no age if you're fit and look after yourself.
                        Gotta be better than watching dykes every week

Comment

• Barnes only makes sense as a replacement for Dykes - I cannot see point in wasting any of our limited "war chest" on another bustling striker when we have Lyndon here. However, if the club are resigned to losing Dykes in coming fortnight to Glasgow Rangers or whoever, lining up Barnes as the replacement is a canny move.

Comment

• Relying solely on Dykes is risky, we need another physical forward. If Armstrong is going out on loan to get proper game time we need someone.

Comment

• Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post
                              When did holding the ball up become a skill? Foot on ball, #### or back into defender, arms out wide, look left/right and pass accordingly.

It is one of the main attributes of a decent centre forward , especially for a team with 3 attacking midfielders playing in behind.
                              It is'nt any good having just Dykes up top with the ball bouncing off his shin and straight back to the opposition , or him just heading it backwards hoping one of our players can get it.
                              If we are going to persist wth one up front , i would say Barnes is excellent at this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattyqpr View Post

Considering he's been fit all season, he's clearly not overweight. I could do more than Dykes. The lad gets bullied week in week out, barely jumps for the ball, has pathetic hold up play and can't hit a barn door. I'd take a 40 year old, 16 stone Barnes over Dykes tbh.

As for stats recruitment, how do you know it's rubbish? Why wouldn't Barnes fit the criteria were looking for? I agree age is against him but in terms of a lone striker, his attributes tick many boxes.
                                I will have what you’re having please …
                                3/4 years ago yes . Now not in a million years .
                                it’s also easy to sit and watch a player and say you can do more than dykes . Maybe give Les a email and get a trial if you can do better .
                                and how you ask how I know barnes wouldn’t fit in our criteria … because all I’ve heard the last 5 years from the club is … we buy young hungry cheap players and sell for a profit . So I’m not taking a stab in the dark here it’s facts from the club .
                                are you actually that single minded to think his the only player we can attract.
                                our recruitment is shocking

Comment

Working...
                                X