• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Abseits View Post

Who.. Nutt or Dykes??????
    Nah Dykes give him a couple weeks and some will want to Ditch him

Comment

• Lyndon Dykes: What will QPR be getting from Australian-born striker?

From https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53818699

Six foot two, hair of blue, Lyndon Dykes is after you. It's a nightmarish rhyme that could make centre-backs sit bolt upright in bed.

Dykes' moniker could belong to a character in a Peter Carey novel, his hair certainly suggests a man not lacking in confidence, but who is this strapping centre-forward who has joined Championship side Queens Park Rangers?

Who is Dykes?

Dykes was born 24 years ago in Australia's Gold Coast, the son of Scottish parents.

In his youth, he was good enough with the oval ball to have caught the eye of National Rugby League side Canberra Raiders, and played basketball and Aussie Rules football. But it was his uncle who sparked his love of football.

Young Dykes turned out for teams such as Mudgeeraba and Merrimac before a trip with the Australian schoolboys' side to face England allowed him to visit family in Dumfries. There he earned a spot in the Queen of the South under-20 side, playing 14 times in 2014/15 before returning to Australia for two years.

Back home it was games for Redlands United, Gold Coast City and Surfers Paradise Apollo before the chance came to pack in his factory job making sports kits and move to Scotland to make a go of it as a professional.

"Friends, coaches, school teachers would try and give me a kick up the backside and say I can become something and make a living out of it," he told BBC Scotland last year.

"I wasn't committed; I was too comfortable enjoying myself. And it just switched one day and I thought, 'I need to put my head down and just try here'."

How has he fared in Scotland?

Since arriving, he has struck 36 goals in 172 appearances for Queen of the South and Livingston and provided plenty of assists.

His form for Livingston in Scotland's top tier has resulted in him being courted by Steve Clarke to commit to playing for Scotland - a rise than has thrilled his club manager.

"We're absolutely buzzing for the big man," said Livingston manager Gary Holt after Sunday's draw with Rangers.

"It shows how people who come here will improve and get the opportunity if they put the work in. He's embraced how we go about the game and his qualities have shone as well.

"We've enhanced what he did at Queens and he's improved by buying into it. Every one of us is over the moon for him."

What is he like to play with?

Stephen Dobbie with Dykes at Queen of the South for three seasons - the first two with the youngster on the left and his final campaign just off the veteran frontman.

Dykes only scored 22 times in 136 appearances but he helped Dobbie to a tally of 96 goals in those three years.

"That third season, I scored 43 goals and his role in those helped him get the move to Livingston," Dobbie explained. "I would just try to teach him to time his runs better and not to always blast the ball at goal.

"He's adapted his game well for different roles. His strengths are his aerial presence - winning headers - and his long stride and pace means he gets away from players."

In a lengthy career, Dobbie has enjoyed success in the English Championship himself and knows what awaits his former team-mate.

More games, more travelling and higher expectations given his price tag are all something Dykes will need to get used to.

"He'll have to prove himself," Dobbie said. "My advice to Lyndon would be to keep focused even when he's not getting a game.

"There are so many league games, plus two cup competitions, and they have big squads in the Championship, so he won't always play. You just have to keep your mind on the job and keep trying to better yourself."

I like him already !!

Comment

• Good to have finally signed a striker that is not on a loan.

We still need at least 1 more striker, Oteh doesn't count and needs to move on.

Comment

• Originally posted by dogsrrs View Post
          How long before he gets dug out !!!
          It would be nice if fans didn’t call him crap after a handful of games wouldn’t it but some are saying his record says he’s not up to it already.I would hope we could stay off his back for the first season to give him a chance to adjust to this level .

Comment

• Originally posted by jamesnutt View Post
            Thank me later. Brought this news to you before anyone else or mainstream media. JN
            Thank you newsnow

Comment

• Originally posted by maidstone_hoop View Post
              I just don’t get this signing what so ever - this lads goal scoring record is unremarkable in a league that is the equivalent to our league 2/ conference.
              ​​​​​​Bloody hell. What an ignorant comment.

Let's do a list of the players who have recently played in the SPL (league 2/conference), shall we: Andrew Robertson; Kieran Tierney; Virgil Van Dijk.

One is regarded one of the best left-backs in the world. One is regarded as one the best center backs. Both have an EPL winner's medal as well as a European Cup winner's medal. And the other one was one of Arsenal's best players last season.

Not to me mention Moussa Dembele who scored two goals against Manchester City in the European Cup quarter final. And he could be another SPL graduate with a European Cup winner's medal. Also, Jason Denayer.

Aaron Hickey, an 18 year old from Hearts who is poised to join a couple of other Scottish kids (Liam Morrison, 17 and Barry Hebpurm, 16), at Bayern Munich on a 5-year deal. Billy Gilmour doing well with Chelsea.

Not too bad for League 2/Conference standard, eh?

Also, whilst I'm here. You should go all out to buy David Turnbull. 21 yo midfielder from Motherwell. He looks like an incarnation of Gary McAllister (who also started his career at Motherwell). He'll be in the EPL by the time he's 23.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3London View Post
                Done! For a, surprise Surprise , Undisclosed fee - and a 4 year deal - i thought they were a thing of the past!
                I don't mind the undisclosed deals.
                Some of our fans hammer players over their fees, as if it's their fault.
                Let's all pretend he cost 250k so no pressure on him, everything he does well is a bonus and completely unexpected.

Comment

• Originally posted by dogsrrs View Post

Nah Dykes give him a couple weeks and some will want to Ditch him

Comment

• Noted that he played in 40, 44 and 52 games in his three seasons at Queen of the South and 33 at Livingston before the season was ended. He started more or less every game at both clubs.

Now. I'm waiting for someone to call him injury prone as he missed four games for Livingston in October last year due to an ankle injury.

Good to see you on here cat! Very loyal rangers man our much loved kitman
                    Last edited by WeAreQPR12; 20-08-2020, 08:41 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlayerX View Post

Let's do a list of the players who have recently played in the SPL (league 2/conference), shall we: Andrew Robertson; Kieran Tierney; Virgil Van Dijk.

One is regarded one of the best left-backs in the world. One is regarded as one the best center backs. Both have an EPL winner's medal as well as a European Cup winner's medal. And the other one was one of Arsenal's best players last season.

Not to me mention Moussa Dembele who scored two goals against Manchester City in the European Cup quarter final. And he could be another SPL graduate with a European Cup winner's medal. Also, Jason Denayer.

Aaron Hickey, an 18 year old from Hearts who is poised to join a couple of other Scottish kids (Liam Morrison, 17 and Barry Hebpurm, 16), at Bayern Munich on a 5-year deal. Billy Gilmour doing well with Chelsea.

Also, whilst I'm here. You should go all out to buy David Turnbull. 21 yo midfielder from Motherwell. He looks like an incarnation of Gary McAllister (who also started his career at Motherwell). He'll be in the EPL by the time he's 23.
                      Most of the players you refer to have come from Celtic who in relation to the division are 40pts better than their counterparts if you minus rangers so I don't think we should rave about the Scottish premier. However saying that I am proud and impressed that you defend your Scottish heritage and so you should. We certainly need strikers and I won't judge until I've seen him over a handful of games. It will take him 10games to appreciate the jump in level. I don't rate championship but it is much better than the Scottish division and common sense will tell you that. If we signed hugill then we should start looking at pacy centre forwards as I would say we need about 4 so the next 2 need pace which is important to the direction we should be looking to go at.
                      I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

• Originally posted by WeAreQPR12 View Post

Most of the players you refer to have come from Celtic who in relation to the division are 40pts better than their counterparts if you minus rangers so I don't think we should rave about the Scottish premier. However saying that I am proud and impressed that you defend your Scottish heritage and so you should. We certainly need strikers and I won't judge until I've seen him over a handful of games. It will take him 10games to appreciate the jump in level. I don't rate championship but it is much better than the Scottish division and common sense will tell you that. If we signed hugill then we should start looking at pacy centre forwards as I would say we need about 4 so the next 2 need pace which is important to the direction we should be looking to go at.
                        Why do you assume that Dykes is slow? According to Stephen Dobbie (ex team-mate) "His strengths are his aerial presence - winning headers - and his long stride and pace means he gets away from players."

Comment

• Originally posted by SlayerX View Post

Well put.

true, the standard of the SPL is not amongst the best, but it is not League 2 level - Championship level is nearer the mark. There are plenty of good players in the Scottish Leagues as we have seen over the years including those you mention and a few more.

I was critical of the club spending £2m on him when cheaper , but more proven Championship options are available. Thus freeing funds for other purchases, but not saying his ability is poor.

I am hoping Dykes will prove to be a bargain buy and get 20+ goals for us.

Comment

• Other players from The SPL were James MaCarthy and McArthur (from Hamilton).

Comment

• Originally posted by stanistheman View Post
                              Other players from The SPL were James MaCarthy and McArthur (from Hamilton).
                              Two top players. JN

Comment

• Originally posted by WeAreQPR12 View Post

40 points better than their counterparts, if you take out Rangers? How is that any different from the EPL? This season Liverpool were 33 points better than their counterparts, if you take out Man City. The season before that, Man City were 26 points better than their counterparts, if you take out Liverpool.

I don't have a domestic club, so trust me, I have absolutely no horse in this race. I'm a football fan. Trust me, I'd say that most of the SPL teams would compete in the Championship. Don't believe the hype about the EPL, just because the clubs burn money, it doesn't make it the Holy Grail of domestic leagues. Yes, Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal, Man United and Chelsea are great clubs... But come on, Burley? Crystal Palace? Aston Villa? Etc?

The SPL is not great, but it's an easy target. There's literally no money in it, so having a dig at the SPL is like shooting fish in a barrel. The SPL is tough and honest. Trust me, if you aren't made of the right stuff, it'll show you up. Pukki scored 7 in 26 for Celtic and yet scores 40 in 79 for Norwich.
                                ​​​​​​

I'll be the first to admit that the standard of Scottish football is not good. But the tides are turning. A decade ago we created performance school, dotted them around the country, and now we're starting to see the buds. Billy Gilmour is a graduate. Bayern Munich have signed 3 of our kids, Man City, two.

The future looks quite bright, after two decades of darkness. Hell, watching our Under 19s is better than watching our senior team.

​​​​​​
                                ​​​​
                                ​​​​

Comment

Working...
                                X