Lyndon dykes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by stanistheman View Post
    Other players from The SPL were James MaCarthy and McArthur (from Hamilton).
    Exactly. I'd say that they've survived in the EPL quite comfortably. (Didn't MacArthur win the FA cup?) And, in my opinion, they are... Decent. Same with Fleck and McGinn.
    ​​​​​​

The EPL isn't full of Pirlo's and Ronaldo's. There are a lot of decent, hard working players in the EPL, they aren't all Ballon d'Or contenders.

Comment

• Originally posted by stanistheman View Post

Well put.

true, the standard of the SPL is not amongst the best, but it is not League 2 level - Championship level is nearer the mark. There are plenty of good players in the Scottish Leagues as we have seen over the years including those you mention and a few more.

I was critical of the club spending £2m on him when cheaper , but more proven Championship options are available. Thus freeing funds for other purchases, but not saying his ability is poor.

I am hoping Dykes will prove to be a bargain buy and get 20+ goals for us.
      Yeah. Agreed. It's more Championship level. And trust me, there are a lot of SPL players who could hold their own in the EPL.

John McGinn was bought from Hibs for £3m and now he's suddenly worth £30?! It's insane! Look at Bayern Munich. They're a massive club, in the European Cup final, etc, and I think the most they forked over for their recent players was £27m.

As for Dykes, I'm not saying that he'll pull up trees (I don't rate Warburton), but he will rough up defenders and be a major headache. When he played against Celtic, he played up against Christopher Jullien (A player who is tipped to join a bigger league in a year or two) and Dykes made him look like a youth team player. Dykes is a typical Aussie, tough, rough and ready to battle with anyone.

Comment

• Hi. Queen of the South fan here. Read the thread and thought I'd give you my opinion on Dykes. First off, the Scottish Premiership isn't great but it's laughable to suggest it's the equivalent of League 2/Conference. The top 3/4 sides would compete in the English Championship; I'm not suggesting they'd be top end but they'd be competitive (though the idiotic Old Firm fans would say they'd walk the league, bit they are generally morons and would be wrong). Livi would be competitive in League 1 I'd say. Even though Livi were bottom half of the table, don't let that kid you on, Dykes ragdolled the Celtic and Rangers defence when asked.

What you're getting from Dykes is a pacy player who can hold on to the ball and bring other players into the attack. He loves to run into the channels so a long ball game won't bother him. He's just as handy with the ball at his feet so if that's QPR's style he'll fit in fine that way as well. He won't shitbag out of a challenge and seems to relish the ariel battle with big CB's. His most successful time with us was winning flick on's and playing the ball in for Stephen Dobbie. They combined really well and combined to get around 50 goals in a season. Regardless of the divsion it was some achievement.

His goalscoring ability was pretty poor with us but he was rarely used as a "no 9". He was more responsible for setting up Dobbie. When he went to Livi he was responsible for scoring and duly obliged so he clearly has goals in him now.

He'll divide your support like he did ours. Even now some of our fans can't see how good a player he was. It took me a good long while to appreciate him but by the time he was gone I was gutted to see him go. He did it the right way though: he went to a slightly bigger club than us and developed further. Rather than go for the big bucks. So he is obviously interested in developing rather than the big pounds. The guy will track back and support the defence if required. His attitude is absolutely spot on and he won't hide.

I hope he hits the ground running or the fans will get on his back. But given some of the ridiculous abuse he got from our support he obviously has big enough shoulder to deal with it.

'Mon the Queens ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by 19QOS19 View Post
          Hi. Queen of the South fan here. Read the thread and thought I'd give you my opinion on Dykes. First off, the Scottish Premiership isn't great but it's laughable to suggest it's the equivalent of League 2/Conference. The top 3/4 sides would compete in the English Championship; I'm not suggesting they'd be top end but they'd be competitive (though the idiotic Old Firm fans would say they'd walk the league, bit they are generally morons and would be wrong). Livi would be competitive in League 1 I'd say. Even though Livi were bottom half of the table, don't let that kid you on, Dykes ragdolled the Celtic and Rangers defence when asked.

What you're getting from Dykes is a pacy player who can hold on to the ball and bring other players into the attack. He loves to run into the channels so a long ball game won't bother him. He's just as handy with the ball at his feet so if that's QPR's style he'll fit in fine that way as well. He won't shitbag out of a challenge and seems to relish the ariel battle with big CB's. His most successful time with us was winning flick on's and playing the ball in for Stephen Dobbie. They combined really well and combined to get around 50 goals in a season. Regardless of the divsion it was some achievement.

His goalscoring ability was pretty poor with us but he was rarely used as a "no 9". He was more responsible for setting up Dobbie. When he went to Livi he was responsible for scoring and duly obliged so he clearly has goals in him now.

He'll divide your support like he did ours. Even now some of our fans can't see how good a player he was. It took me a good long while to appreciate him but by the time he was gone I was gutted to see him go. He did it the right way though: he went to a slightly bigger club than us and developed further. Rather than go for the big bucks. So he is obviously interested in developing rather than the big pounds. The guy will track back and support the defence if required. His attitude is absolutely spot on and he won't hide.

I hope he hits the ground running or the fans will get on his back. But given some of the ridiculous abuse he got from our support he obviously has big enough shoulder to deal with it.

'Mon the Queens ;)
          That's brilliant and thank you for going to the effort in sharing your thoughts. Hopefully you'll be seeing him in a Scotland shirt soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by 19QOS19 View Post
            Hi. Queen of the South fan here. Read the thread and thought I'd give you my opinion on Dykes. First off, the Scottish Premiership isn't great but it's laughable to suggest it's the equivalent of League 2/Conference. The top 3/4 sides would compete in the English Championship; I'm not suggesting they'd be top end but they'd be competitive (though the idiotic Old Firm fans would say they'd walk the league, bit they are generally morons and would be wrong). Livi would be competitive in League 1 I'd say. Even though Livi were bottom half of the table, don't let that kid you on, Dykes ragdolled the Celtic and Rangers defence when asked.

'Mon the Queens ;)
            Won't knock a player that puts 100% in

Comment

Working...
            X