Euros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by stanistheman View Post

Agree with much of that, but no, they won't be winning the Euros. I think they have the attacking talent to give a great game to whoever they get in the last 16.

France, Portugal or Germany (even Hungary have a chance if they beat Germany and France beat Portugal) will not enjoy being attacked by the likes of Grealish, Sterling, Saka, Sancho, Rashford, Foden and Kane. Trippier, Shaw, James, or Walker as attacking full backs or wingbacks can pose real attacking threats if the shackles are released.

England can still keep a back 3, 4 or 5 with the CBs and holding midfielders but allow the others to attack their opponents with swift passing moves and dribbles. The wide players need to get crosses into the box far more frequently for Kane and he needs support from the other attackers in the side.

However, I suspect Southgate will play it safe and England will probably have an 'honourable' defeat against one of the big 3 from Group F.
    I reckon there is enough talent in that team to win against anyone. But they, and the management are scared of losing and that is the root of their problem. We have a young attack minded team, and strikers who are experienced and savvy enough to make goals happen if we apply enough pressure.

Comment

• The fact that for very short spells the attack clicks and looks dangerous (The movement for sterling's goal was superb) makes the 90% of the time We are playing sluggish slow cautious football seem all the more infuriating.

we have the players to play explosive exiting football, we just choose not to. I get it, Southgate has decided the conservative approach is what wins tournaments, but it is so dull to watch and I still don't think it will work against the top sides.

Comment

• I was thinking we could draw our way to the final and win it, keep advancing via penalty shootouts. It then struck me that we have so many players out of sorts I cant see most of them scoring a penalty. There's no way I'd let Kane, Sterling or Rashford anywhere near a penalty in their current states. If I had to pick 5 penalty takers I'd go:

Walker
        Maguire
        Pickford
        Errrrrrr....... Bloody hell!

Comment

• Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post
          Playing for England does not seem a priority for most of the players. They do it mainly for marketing purposes and to increase their worth for club contracts. They earn too much money at their clubs to risk injury during internationals. They must ensure they're fit for the start of next season and the champions league games which will start again very soon.

The lower quality players in the other home nation teams see internationals as the pinnacle of their careers and a chance to showcase their abilities to get moves to bigger clubs and earn more money out of the game. England players dont need that exposure as much so you'll never see the same intensity in games from these players.
          Agree with this. Maybe my memories are clouded by nostalgia but I seem to remember that football and especially international tournaments seemed to mean so much more to the players. Cheesy songs leading up to the start (I'm not suggesting they bring those back). Plenty of occasions where passion and patriotism took over (Gazza anyone?) but it all seems so sterile and "professional" these days. Mind you it's not really a surprise when a lot of players get to choose which country they play for and we're not allowed to be English anymore in case someone else is offended.
          "I don't read the papers, I don't gamble, I don't even know what day it is." - Steve McClaren.

Comment

• First really bad officiating I've seen at this tournament. non penalty in France v Portugal. Ref really looks shook, making some poor decisions.

If the France one is a pen, pack it up and go home. If a defender can't make contact with a attacker when they are both going for the ball, might as well forget defending.

VAR not intervening to correct a awful decision, the whole point of it. Get rid, but that's my own pet peeve.

Comment

• I agree Bus. Absolutely shocking decision. The Fernandez foul at the end that wasn't given was almost as bad. Nailed on foul and the only debate is whether it was inside the area or not.

Ref was shocking and wtf is VAR for if it's not to correct these things?
              "I don't read the papers, I don't gamble, I don't even know what day it is." - Steve McClaren.

Comment

• Vat is a total joke the majority of the time here. But that’s the first #### up in the euros

as for England v Germany could be the most negative game ever there crap were well so defensive it’s a joke 1-0 either way or pens which the geeeeermans will inevitably win

Comment

• So its the Germans. Well rather them then those Latin bloods

Comment

• Hoping the bratwursters dump that wokey bunch out

Comment

• Originally posted by QPRDave View Post
                      Hoping the bratwursters dump that wokey bunch out
                      Normally I look forward to these tournaments but I ain’t fussed and barely watched a game of other nations. I enjoyed Rs 2nd half of the season I’m looking forwards to that,

let England get on with being politically minded feeding kids and standing and kneeling side by side to the point it gets on my nerves.

Comment

• Originally posted by shaggy24 View Post

Normally I look forward to these tournaments but I ain’t fussed and barely watched a game of other nations. I enjoyed Rs 2nd half of the season I’m looking forwards to that,

let England get on with being politically minded feeding kids and standing and kneeling side by side to the point it gets on my nerves.
                        I'm exactly the same Shaggy.
                        I have watched all these tournaments religiously over the years, all the games work allowing.
                        But this lot don't represent me or my country as far as I'm concerned

Comment

• Imagine letting politics melt your brain to the extent you are literally supporting Germany in an England v Germany game.

If that were me I would probably log off, switch off the news and go for a nice walk to think about how I got into this state.

Comment

• Sorry am I not thinking the "right" thoughts?

Comment

• I would not support anybody over England, but I totally oppose the politisation of sport.

I personally, do not put the game on until it has started, and I pause it at half time, I wonder what ITV and their sponsors would say to the FA if millions boycotted their commercials, oh, and #### the BBC.

I won’t be happy until BLM has been squashed and Southgate is sacked for supporting them.

I have supported Rangers for 55 seasons, since March 1969.

Comment

• I'd support Wales over England, and do in the rugby

Comment

Working...
                                X