Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rio Ferdinand

Really hope we get him.
    Nedum will get 1 of the slots at CB next season, and think Nedum and Ferdinand could form a good partnership in the defence next season.
    Some fans don't agree with us targeting him, but I think he would be decent for us.
    Would rather have Ferdinand than Dunne or Hill.

i think its pretty likely we will get him. Seems to want to come back to london

Comment

Whilst I agree with your last sentence Hoop, I really do not want Ferdinand.

Yes, he was a fantastic world class centre back, and yes he may well still do a decent job, but he would be on a fortune, on his last legs & tbh isn't this sort of signing setting out our stall exactly as we done last time? I'm not one for saying right let's go all out & get a bunch of "young and hungry" kids, I think we need a good balance, but I would much rather go for somebody like Lescott than Rio tbh.

I don't even think Rio cares about his football much these days either, more interested in his clothing range, nightclubs & magazine.
      You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by MattyRangers View Post
        Whilst I agree with your last sentence Hoop, I really do not want Ferdinand.

Yes, he was a fantastic world class centre back, and yes he may well still do a decent job, but he would be on a fortune, on his last legs & tbh isn't this sort of signing setting out our stall exactly as we done last time? I'm not one for saying right let's go all out & get a bunch of "young and hungry" kids, I think we need a good balance, but I would much rather go for somebody like Lescott than Rio tbh.

I don't even think Rio cares about his football much these days either, more interested in his clothing range, nightclubs & magazine.
        Your last line is what really bugs me mate, based on nothing but pure assumption. I personally would have him over Lescott every day of the week, Lescott is hugely overrated IMO. Really is the type of cb who doesn't rely on "legs" more than anyone else, he has the footballing brain others can only dream of. He has never had the legs for a sprint, but at one time was the best CB in the world

Comment

Welcome back Matty.

I don't agree that Ferdnand has never relied on legs, he isn't John Terry and certainly was no slouch with regards to pace in his prime.
          Agree he might actually complement Nedum and it would be a decent partnership but the wages will be huge and he is coming to the end of what has been a fantastic career.

I think most people think that with other experienced players they might give us a few years, it does seem like we would get 2 years out of ferdinand if we're lucky at a decent level.
          The other thing we need to worry about is his injury stats from last season. He seems to have persistent back injuries that will only get worse with the years creepy on him.

I'd rather start molding a team for the next 5 years and not just next season so I tend to agree with Matty.
          I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

Disagree Matty.

Firstly Rio still very fit. Every player gets injuries regardless of age ermmmm Matty Phillips, Charlie Austin

Secondly it will be for ONE year only guaranteed.

Thirdly Lescott is sh!t. Hasn't impressed me for years.

Also gotta be mentioned Harry should be judged after the season. Our old overpaid players before were all bought by Hughes almost every single one bar a couple have been complete flops. Harry's signings have pretty much all done a job (to get us up)

Only signing he made in our relegation season where he took over a toxic dressing room that didn't work was Samba & who'd of thought that? We all wanted him!
            Last edited by Jimmy Floyd Rabbit; 19-06-2014, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Whilst Rio would cost us a lot in wages, a 1 year deal (to see how it goes) he is cheaper than paying a £5 million transfer fee and someone on half the wages, who might not be any good anyway. Can see both sides of this argument.

My take is that Rio would help make other players much better, tactically, positionally, motivational, etc, etc. How much is that worth?

We all agree Nedum has come on leaps and bounds last year - Rio would improve him further, for sure, as well as some of the other players.

He also has previous with Harry, which means he's more likely to give his all for us.

Comment

Rio comes across as a complete professional. If he is fit to play 25+ games, and we can get him on a decent wage then I think it's a no-brainer. He's still a cut above our defenders.

He would be quality in the Changing room and on the training pitch IMO.

Comment

Injury prone and too old if he was still that great United wouldn't of released him especially as Vidic has gone

Also seeing as we have Hill & Dunne we don't need another old defender
                  We Are The People.....

Comment

Originally posted by Rangersw12 View Post
                    Injury prone and too old if he was still that great United wouldn't of released him especially as Vidic has gone

Also seeing as we have Hill & Dunne we don't need another old defender
                    United have to completely rebuild to have any chance of winning the Pl and getting back into the champions league and quite rightly he would no longer fit into that game plan.

we also have to rebuild but our sights are set on staying up initially and building from there. His experience and knowledge would be very valuable imo,

even playing half the games and helping others would be worthwhile

Comment

Originally posted by Busheyboy View Post
                      United have to completely rebuild to have any chance of winning the Pl and getting back into the champions league and quite rightly he would no longer fit into that game plan.

we also have to rebuild but our sights are set on staying up initially and building from there. His experience and knowledge would be very valuable imo,

even playing half the games and helping others would be worthwhile
                      We have Dunne & Hill with experience and knowledge

He would want big wages so just seems like a last pay day for him we need to stop being that club that is a retirement home to players on the decline
                      We Are The People.....

Comment

Originally posted by bakes8 View Post
                        Rio comes across as a complete professional. If he is fit to play 25+ games, and we can get him on a decent wage then I think it's a no-brainer. He's still a cut above our defenders.

He would be quality in the Changing room and on the training pitch IMO.
                        60 - 70k a week for 25 games seems to much.

Comment

Didn't our very own Joey say something along the lines of...." This can't be a place where good footballers come to die anymore,”

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnykc View Post
                            Didn't our very own Joey say something along the lines of...." This can't be a place where good footballers come to die anymore,”
                            That's why we've invested in life support machines.
                            Stand and Deliver!

Comment

I don't care what the wages are of our players, I'm not paying them!! That does not mean I don't care about the finances of the club, because I do.

TF is a very successful and in business, most winners have learnt by making mistakes.

Very fews of our fans seems to recognise and acknowledge the wages we're chopping off the wage bill. Mbia, probably Adel, Remy, Cesar, Granero, etc, etc, all the loan players going back, players not having contracts renewed and so on.

I am certain our wage bill will be reduced, even allowing for a few very big earners. I rather have Rio, past his prime on £75 a week than 3 wannabees on £25k each, who never make it!!

We're all entitled to our opinions but some fans talk like Rio is a cr ap player, which he isn't.

Comment

Working...
                              X