No announcement yet.

Europe. In or out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cameron was asked at a PMQ's 3 or 4 weeks ago would he be there to negotiate our exit if we voted out, he said tersely, yes.

But, of course our MP's are there to represent us ..LOL.
    I have supported Rangers for 55 seasons, since March 1969.

Comment

• I see The Sun has exposed a Company for advertising for Polish workers in S. London. Most of their work are Government contracts too. Happening all over the country
      I must away now, I can no longer tarry
      This morning's tempest I have to cross
      I must be guided without a stumble
      Into the arms I love the most

Comment

• Originally posted by lymehoop View Post
        I see The Sun has exposed a Company for advertising for Polish workers in S. London. Most of their work are Government contracts too. Happening all over the country
        See Polish adverts for brickie gangs every single day in the Standard. Annoys me

Comment

• Originally posted by lymehoop View Post
          I see The Sun has exposed a Company for advertising for Polish workers in S. London. Most of their work are Government contracts too. Happening all over the country
          Illegal and discriminatory under the race relations act, surely?

What's the difference between that and saying 'No Blacks, No Irish, No Dogs'?

Comment

• Britain and Obama’s ‘Back of the Queue’

I hope that Americans who know what self-government means to a free people will rally to the cause of an independent

This article was published in the WSJ today.

To read more
            http://www.wsj.com/articles/britain-...eue-1466201544

I found the comments especially interesting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe90 View Post
              This is the point, we're not making the decision, it's advisory. There is no legal mandate for the results of the election to be carried forward by parliament and as it's a cross party issue where exactly will the pressure come from to enact the result? Additionally, those campaigning to leave, should they be successful, will not be in position to enforce any of the brexit arguments, so I'm not really sure what people think will actually come of this.

This is a terrible political move that has proved to be extremely divisive, has entrenched toxic campaigning and will lead to massive public dissent. No good will come of this.
              It's called direct democracy, it's something to be celebrated or would you rather some beurocrat to make all your decisions for you?

Comment

• Originally posted by gaza09 View Post
                It's called direct democracy, it's something to be celebrated or would you rather some beurocrat to make all your decisions for you?
                It's called a representative democracy where we elect politicians to make big decisions, typically on law, on our behalf, hence why this referendum is not legally binding and only advisory. In a direct democracy you vote on laws. We're not voting on a law in this referendum, we're being asked if Britain should leave or stay in the European Union. Direct democracy is not to be celebrated, it's ridiculous.

Comment

It's called a representative democracy where we elect politicians to make big decisions, typically on law, on our behalf, hence why this referendum is not legally binding and only advisory. In a direct democracy you vote on laws. We're not voting on a law in this referendum, we're being asked if Britain should leave or stay in the European Union. Direct democracy is not to be celebrated, it's ridiculous.
                  This is a pointless argument because there is no way the government will not act upon the results of the referendum.

Comment

• Originally posted by jmelanie View Post
                    This is a pointless argument because there is no way the government will not act upon the results of the referendum.
                    I'm not presenting an argument, I'm giving objective facts for consideration.

Comment

Yes but those we elected decided to hand over some of the powers to make big decisions on our behalf to the EU, without our consent.
                      We voted to have this referendum at the last general election and David Cameron has made it clear he will carry out the wishes of the electorate.

You don't seem to be a big fan of democracy

Comment

• Originally posted by gaza09 View Post
                        Yes but those we elected decided to hand over some of the powers to make big decisions on our behalf to the EU, without our consent.
                        We voted to have this referendum at the last general election and David Cameron has made it clear he will carry out the wishes of the electorate.

You don't seem to be a big fan of democracy
                        You're unhappy about the EU making big decisions on our behalf without our consent, can I assume that you're also unhappy with the un-elected House of Lords being able to veto and make decisions about laws on your behalf?

We didn't vote to have this referendum at the last general election, it may have been in the Conservative manifesto but you're conflating two points. One doesn't necessarily follow the other. Did you vote for the Conservatives for this reason?

I don't think democracy is beyond reproach. Saying that doesn't infer that I prefer a despotic totalitarian alternative, because it isn't one or the other. Do you know there are different types democracy?

I'm not trying to convince anyone either way, I just wanted to make a few points for people to consider.
                        Last edited by Joe90; 18-06-2016, 11:24 PM.

Comment

You're unhappy about the EU making big decisions on our behalf without our consent, can I assume that you're also unhappy with the un-elected House of Lords being able to veto and make decisions about laws on your behalf?
                          which "big decisions" have the eu been given without our consent? name them and give some accurate references to the eu decisions so that people understand what decisions you are talking about. if you can't name them and give references for people to make their own minds up on, then why are you posting this type of stuff?

Comment

• Originally posted by klonk View Post
                            which "big decisions" have the eu been given without our consent? name them and give some accurate references to the eu decisions so that people understand what decisions you are talking about. if you can't name them and give references for people to make their own minds up on, then why are you posting this type of stuff?
                            Someone above said:

"Yes but those we elected decided to hand over some of the powers to make big decisions on our behalf to the EU, without our consent."

So I was asking them if they were also unhappy with the House of Lords.

Comment

• Originally posted by klonk View Post
                              But if you want to know, the EU legislation biggest impact on the UK law is on the following areas: Agriculture, external trade, fisheries and the environment.
                              With external trade there are four parts that make up the agreement/law, the free movement of goods, services, capital and...people, yes, people also known as "migrants". This is one of the most hotly contested issues of the referendum. Depending on how you look at it, or understand our democracy, it could be argued that the free movement of people in accordance of our external trade agreements were given without our consent.

Comment

But if you want to know, the EU legislation biggest impact on the UK law is on the following areas: Agriculture, external trade, fisheries and the environment.
                                With external trade there are four parts that make up the agreement/law, the free movement of goods, services, capital and...people, yes, people also known as "migrants". This is one of the most hotly contested issues of the referendum. Depending on how you look at it, or understand our democracy, it could be argued that the free movement of people in accordance of our external trade agreements were given without our consent.
                                i didn't ask you about what other people said.

what i wanted to know was specifics.

specifics about where the uk had been given to the eu without consent.

referenced specifics.

you didn't provide any.

oddly, i'm not falling off my chair in surprise.

try again.

maybe be a bit specific this time.

Comment

Working...
                                X