When did it all go wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KevC59 View Post

I was away in the Navy, remember being in the Caribbean, listening to the world service, there was a couple of red scousers in my messdeck, not a lot of places to hide away on a warship, so had to put up with them gobbling off for at least a week!!! Oh my days
    That is rough

Comment

Who I here in January thought we would have such a poor transfer window and then see our season collapse like a house of cards? That for me is where it all went wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by FurtiveFox View Post
        Is easy with hindsight which is always the problem.

We tried to recruit wing backs and neither Moses or MacCullum have worked out. On paper both looked promising so can understand why we went with them. Wallace and Uncle should have been back up.

On the recruitment side where we failed both in the summer and January was getting at least one wide player. That has left us entirely dependent on Willock and Chair. Willock has had a good season but has got injured although to be fair the rot had set in just before that anyway. Chair has been up and down. That has left us woefully short and there has been precious little decent supply to our strikers.

As I have said before I have no idea why Stef and Charlie have been so poor this season. They both had decent second halfs to last season and seem to have good attitudes. Jordy, when fit, was a beast last season. Signing them and Field should have had a big impact this season alongside some further signings.

Willock and Dunne aside most of our players have either gone backwards or not improved this season. This has been a big problem. I may have had unrealistic expectations but I was hoping for further improvement from Dieng, Dickie Chair and Dykes followed by hopefully big money moves for some of those this coming summer. Dykes has had injury issues but has not happened. Dozzell has potential but has made minimal impact. No youngsters have got a look in and nobody obvious to step up to the first team.

Strikers have had such poor service it is difficult to judge. All three in theory good enough to compete upper parts of this league.

System has been wrong and even if MW wanted to we don't really have the players to do much else. You could go to back four just about but then we have so few options out wide.

There needs to be some soul searching early on in summer window and appropriate action taken. We can get back on track.
        I think the reason why Austin and Johansen have not done it this season is because in Austin’s case he came in to partner Dykes and they both clicked and scored and assisted. However this season Warburton has inexplicably decided to go back to one striker (often Dykes) and the latter has gone back to his 2020 form of being shyte. Austin is not able to play as a lone striker, but that is what he has had to do on occasions this season.

Perhaps a similar reason for Johansen who last season played in a midfield trio with Field and Chair. Not so much this season.

Comment

Teams Worked us out so the second time we played them they new we were tactically Limited.

Our slow passing across the back - steffans ponderous pirouettes before passing the ball back or sideways meant that a high press from and energetic front line effectively means we have zero forward momentum

Also Double marking and some pretty rough treatment of Chris Willock meant he was unable to affect as many games as he did in the first half of the season

Comment

Originally posted by 3London View Post
            Teams Worked us out so the second time we played them they new we were tactically Limited.

Our slow passing across the back - steffans ponderous pirouettes before passing the ball back or sideways meant that a high press from and energetic front line effectively means we have zero forward momentum

Also Double marking and some pretty rough treatment of Chris Willock meant he was unable to affect as many games as he did in the first half of the season
            That was really important, teams didn't expect or prepare for Willock for quite a while, he won us alot of points before he was taken out of games for one reason or another.

Comment

January window Last season worked out big time

We signed all those players and for variety reasons none of those four worked out

This years January window was a head f**k

Signing Sanderson whose character has seemed susceptible and very error prone..When we loaned out two players that have both had decent games for us in past ie De Wijs and Masters on

Hendricks signing seemed to be done just so that Jeff could put himself in the shop window.

Pissed off Amos, Dozell and Ball.

And lack of attacking signings through the middle and on the flanks said the board did not want to go up this season...

Whether that's warburton or ferdinand and hoos

But everything about that window was pants !!

Tbh get rid les - was my view

We weren't allowed spend much shows total lack of ambition

Comment

The operative question is which players have improved under MW this season?

If MW is poor tactically, plays only one system the league had figured out, and does little or nothing to improve anyone’s game, why would he be allowed to stay?

For his good looks? His blah blah blah it’s not all that bad press conferences? For his occasional jabs at fans frustrated by his one-dimensional stubbornness?

For the fans’ mental health if nothing else, someone (MW or Les) has to go this off-season. If not prepare for a firestorm of criticism, and a relegation scrap to boot, in the next campaign.

Comment

Working...
                X