Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

January Rumours

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post

    I would be extremely confident that we have a long list of loan and L1/2 players for short term and long term options.

    I hate the premiership with a passion and would be happy to see us being a top 8 championship club which is sustainable by selling those players on for 50m and seeing enjoyment in the new batch coming through. I want to see my team winning most games not getting thrashed in the prem and being on the wrong end of ref decisions to the big clubs.

    All the prem us good for is 300m from one season there and parachute money. I love the championship as a competition and theres nothing wrong with knowing your place in life! I know one Leeds home and away season ticket holder who wouldnt mind being back in the championship.
    I agree with this, the Premiership is no fun whatsoever for a club our size in today's time of huge money signings and greed! I do think however our goal obviously should be promotion to try to tap into those big $$$ to help the club, I can tolerate a season of hardly winning for that result! My feeling now is that we are not ready for the EPL and if this team was promoted even with additions it would be a very ugly season so I wouldn't mind if we cash in right now on saleable assets and rebuild with new and possibly better players, we could sell Chair, Dickey, Dikes and Dieng and still be in mid table and have a good bit of cash on hand to cautiously buy in a longer less impulsive transfer window!
    @gatorTFC

    Comment


    • So how long would people like to spend in the doldrums? Personally I would like to see the step up ready or not, it will be a battling ugly season for sure, but in the event we got through it, that would surely attract better players to the club, stagnation is not good for the club, we have to move forward somehow, surely?

      Comment


      • Originally posted by KevC59 View Post
        So how long would people like to spend in the doldrums? Personally I would like to see the step up ready or not, it will be a battling ugly season for sure, but in the event we got through it, that would surely attract better players to the club, stagnation is not good for the club, we have to move forward somehow, surely?
        Here's the thing though Kev, it isn't the doldrums for all of us, I think The Championship is the most competitive league in the world, anyone beats anyone on the day and most teams can dream of a play off run, of course you have to be ambitious and strive for promotion! Our last few forays into the EPL weren't much fun for me, there were moments but overall it was just a question of trying not to lose with mercenaries and plastic fans! Leeds, Stef U, and others have shown it can be done right but the fun doesn't last long with oil barons and corporate giants owning the top 6!
        @gatorTFC

        Comment


        • Originally posted by gator View Post

          Here's the thing though Kev, it isn't the doldrums for all of us, I think The Championship is the most competitive league in the world, anyone beats anyone on the day and most teams can dream of a play off run, of course you have to be ambitious and strive for promotion! Our last few forays into the EPL weren't much fun for me, there were moments but overall it was just a question of trying not to lose with mercenaries and plastic fans! Leeds, Stef U, and others have shown it can be done right but the fun doesn't last long with oil barons and corporate giants owning the top 6!
          It is much more fun in the Championship, we could win lose or draw every game, sounds obvious but going up against Spurs or Liverpool every other week it's just not as 'possible'. This team in my opinion is over performing, credit to the characters, manager and staff for that. We need more than a plucky attitude to compete up there though.

          I would like to see the team go up when it is ready, but like having a child you're never really ready. I think the heavy fixture load highlights our lack of depth in certain areas, but our lack of quality in certain areas will be miserable to watch in the premier league. Our 2010 team was a good unit to go up and stay up but the owners thought better of it, was always going to be a struggle.

          Relevant to this thread, if we were to go up it is vital we keep a core and add to those weak areas, preferably with permanent signings with room to grow. Our Jan windows are such that retaining key players is as good as a signing. Then in Summer if offers come in and we not promoted, they may have to move on. I think we are a year or two away from realistic Premier League promotion and optimism.

          Comment


          • I said to mates and family 5 years ago, I would take a period of mid table mediocrity, if we just built a team that was solid enough to compete in the premier League, maybe it's too soon for some right now? Look, I've supported Rangers for over 50 years now, I've seen us at our very best, and our very worst ,and when we have been good we have been very good, ok I have stated in other threads that we have punched above our weight at times this season, but why not dream big, when is ever going to be the right time otherwise? How would another five years grinding in the championship make us any better than we are now? There is talent and heart in this team right now, ok it's painful sometimes I agree, but if we miss out this year, then for sure this team will break up, then it's back to square one

            Comment


            • Thought this was a rumour thread? Just a thought & nothing happening, oh & Cook signed for Forest there’s a surprise

              Comment


              • I agree that some of our time in the prem was a disaster, I will never forgive Mark Hughes for the way he went about things, but I would hope lessons would have been learned from how that was handled and I think the current management structure is hopefully better equipped to manage things, I just want the best for my club, and I dream of being back among the best as I'm sure we all do, the thing I really don't want to see is a lack of ambition and settling for mediocrity

                Comment


                • Jeff, conversations sometimes go off on tangents, apologies for my part in leading it

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by KevC59 View Post
                    Jeff, conversations sometimes go off on tangents, apologies for my part in leading it
                    No worries Kev & it’s quiet on rumours at present everywhere

                    Comment


                    • Are we still talking to palmer from Bristol City? Seems to have gone quiet. He's not in their plans. They want him off the wage bill. No transfer fee. Surely a contract until the end of the season is pretty straight forward unless he's being stupid with wage demands or he's not fit enough to play straightaway? Or were we never in talks to start with??? Lol!!

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Dono77 View Post
                        Are we still talking to palmer from Bristol City? Seems to have gone quiet. He's not in their plans. They want him off the wage bill. No transfer fee. Surely a contract until the end of the season is pretty straight forward unless he's being stupid with wage demands or he's not fit enough to play straightaway? Or were we never in talks to start with??? Lol!!
                        We're only afew days in, recent windows have been pretty quiet right up until the moment it happens, which is nice in a way.

                        Comment


                        • Losing Cook is a shame, but clearly wanted more dosh at 30 and if thats the case, we're sticking to our transfer / funding policy.

                          As for Palmer, I reckon given the state they're in at Bristol financially, it'll happen.

                          Quiet elsewhere right now...

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by topperharley View Post

                            We're only afew days in, recent windows have been pretty quiet right up until the moment it happens, which is nice in a way.
                            We don't want to be waiting til end of Jan. If we want cover for the lads who are at the acon then we need players in asap.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Dono77 View Post
                              Are we still talking to palmer from Bristol City? Seems to have gone quiet. He's not in their plans. They want him off the wage bill. No transfer fee. Surely a contract until the end of the season is pretty straight forward unless he's being stupid with wage demands or he's not fit enough to play straightaway? Or were we never in talks to start with??? Lol!!
                              I watched a you tube clip yesterday about the latest news regarding Jamaican football players and Palmer was mentioned . The journalist, and he sounded credible enough to me, suggested that the two clubs were negotiating a fee. Nothing has been agreed, but as far as I understood Bristol City are adamant to get him off their books. He is also a londoner from what I could gather and clearly a talented player with potential.
                              QPR
                              Best team in the world
                              Sort of

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by qpr4life View Post
                                Losing Cook is a shame, but clearly wanted more dosh at 30 and if thats the case, we're sticking to our transfer / funding policy.

                                As for Palmer, I reckon given the state they're in at Bristol financially, it'll happen.

                                Quiet elsewhere right now...
                                Are Forest paying that much more than us?...If yes, how?....I know they have a bigger attendance but, for example, they are still paying (now that he's returned on loan from League 1) the likes of Harry Arter 38k a week.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X