Euros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by QPRDave View Post
    Seeing as you put it so nicely weare, I apologize unreservedly for my remark towards stan.
    sorry stan
    Thank you Dave and WeAre - just seen this. Honestly wasn't offended. We are all Rangers.

Comment

• Originally posted by stainrodisalegend View Post

Thank you Dave and WeAre - just seen this. Honestly wasn't offended. We are all Rangers.
      Nah I must admit weare was right Stan.
      I seriously wouldn't want to upset you mate.
      I just always pictured you as old school like most of us on here, so booing wouldn't have bothered you.
      Anyway I'll stfu
      ​​​​​​

Comment

• Ffs Lol
        Those England plebs are boarding the bus masked up, why?
        Virtue signalling morons

Comment

• I suppose its a convenient way of sidestepping fans/media. Before covid it'd be giant headphones clamped to their bonces to evade autograph hunters.

Comment

• :

Comment

• Congrats Italy.
              English cowards letting two kids step up.
              Where was Sterling? Grealish? Stones? Etc
              ​​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by QPRDave View Post
                Congrats Italy.
                English cowards letting two kids step up.
                Where was Sterling? Grealish? Stones? Etc
                ​​​​​​
                You're right there.

Comment

• Congrats to Italy but next time we'll be ready.

We should be so proud to get to the final.

They say "Rome wasn't built in a day". I'll grab my coat!

Comment

• To win a football match or any sports you require determination and the courage to attack with conviction

England will never have the conviction under Southgate

Comment

• Congratulations to Italy, who I thought from the 1st game that they could win the tournament.

I think Southgate has overall done a great job as England manager, but he is a bit too negative with his tactics and has cost us the Final with his decision making again.

1. Imo Grealish should have replaced Mount after 60 minutes to give the England team a bit more creativity and another player to run with the ball at the Italians. Look how many free kicks he won when he was on the pitch? The Italians did not feel comfortable dealing with him. Overall, Southgate's treatment of him has been somewhat disappointing. He should be building his team around Grealish like Robson did with Gascoigne. He could either play in midfield, or as a No.10.

2. why oh why did he bring Rashford and Sancho on a minute from the end of extra time to take penalties? It was heaping so much pressure on those two knowing that the only reason they are on the pitch is to take and score their penalty. He could have brought them on at the start of that period to at least give them a chance of getting a few touches of the ball and gaining a feel of the match and tension. Who knows, they might even have helped England to win without a penalty shoot out!

3. Who chooses the penalty takers? There is no way that Saka should have taken the 5th penalty. Grealish, Sterling or perhaps Shaw would have been better choices rather than an 18 yo who doesn't even take them for Arsenal.

Edit:

"It is down to me," said Southgate of the penalty misses.

"I decided on the penalty-takers based on what they have done in training.

Grealish wanted to take a penalty, but Southgate decided otherwise.

Comment

• Originally posted by shaggy24 View Post
                        To win a football match or any sports you require determination and the courage to attack with conviction

England will never have the conviction under Southgate
                        Agree

Comment

• Originally posted by stanistheman View Post
                          Congratulations to Italy, who I thought from the 1st game that they could win the tournament.

I think Southgate has overall done a great job as England manager, but he is a bit too negative with his tactics and has cost us the Final with his decision making again.

1. Imo Grealish should have replaced Mount after 60 minutes to give the England team a bit more creativity and another player to run with the ball at the Italians. Look how many free kicks he won when he was on the pitch? The Italians did not feel comfortable dealing with him. Overall, Southgate's treatment of him has been somewhat disappointing. He should be building his team around Grealish like Robson did with Gascoigne. He could either play in midfield, or as a No.10.

2. why oh why did he bring Rashford and Sancho on a minute from the end of extra time to take penalties? It was heaping so much pressure on those two knowing that the only reason they are on the pitch is to take and score their penalty. He could have brought them on at the start of that period to at least give them a chance of getting a few touches of the ball and gaining a feel of the match and tension. Who knows, they might even have helped England to win without a penalty shoot out!

3. Who chooses the penalty takers? There is no way that Saka should have taken the 5th penalty. Grealish, Sterling or perhaps Shaw would have been better choices rather than an 18 yo who doesn't even take them for Arsenal.

Edit:

"It is down to me," said Southgate of the penalty misses.

"I decided on the penalty-takers based on what they have done in training.

Grealish wanted to take a penalty, but Southgate decided otherwise.
                          All of the above, Saka looked lost from the moment he came on, though I can see why he was brought on, just ineffective. He must have something against Grealish and completely agree should've come on around 60.

Shaw and Sterling would have been far better options for a penalty surely? Shaw possibly player of the tournament for me, definitely England's best player, they can all take a penalty and confidence is key when under that kind of pressure.

However Southgate did get alot right and credit to him for that, always easy in hindsight.

Regardless the game should have been put to bed, the Italians were better in the end.

To be fully honest I'm quite glad the chaos that would've ensued had England won didn't have to happen, and that after afew days the media can shut up about the national team instead of droning on about it for the next 50 years till we reach another final.

Comment

• When the camera's focussed on the team huddle before the pens you see Southgate asking Rashford a question, and he nodded in a very unconvincing way. Rashford looked like a rabbit in the headlights and I didnt think he'd score. From his body language he look petrified.

Comment

• It comes down to expectations to a degree. I have been watching these tournaments since 1986 and the hype surrounding England is akin to one of the very top teams who do regularly win these types of things or at least come close. However that simply is not England. I would say England are more like a mid table Premiership side. They will occasionally flatter to deceive and reach latter stages and once in a blue moon may even win something, 1966 comes to mind. All the time I have watched them they have not had either the technical ability or mental strength to be a top side. You kind of expect them to get to the knock out stages and a quarter final exit is the norm as an average.

Southgate had a very easy run at the last World Cup but fair play he navigated England through it to a semi. I actually think they have improved since then and did well to get to the final of the Euros. The play is contained and restrictive and a little predictable at times but also makes us hard to beat. Maybe that isn't such a bad thing for when we do come up against better times. We held Italy over 120 minutes.

All three youngsters who missed lacked any confidence and like others I have no idea why they had to take those penalties. Add to that Italy's GP is a monster and despite Pickford's two good saves it was always far more likely to be Italy who would win the shootout.

This is a young England side and they had a good tournament. They will also hopefully continue to improve but I doubt they will reach the level of the top European and South American sides when it comes to the World Cup. We just need to enjoy whatever happens but with realistic expectations.

The only real criticism I have is there seems no plan B. Whilst I get the overall game plan it would have been nice to have seen some burly old fashioned number 9 to come on in some games to mix it up a bit and add some more physicality.

Comment

• Tbh fox plan A only lasted 2 mins.
                                we should've gone at them, but no the manager sat back same as he did in the world cup

Comment

Working...
                                X