X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Routledge was good in more recent times

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post
      What's happening with Bettache? Ten games for Oldham in 21/22 and came back to the club in Jan22?

I was hoping he'd be a first team player.......?
      QPR Under-23s signed off from their 2021/22 campaign with a dramatic 3-2 victory over Wigan Athletic at Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium in this Professional Development League Two South fixture.

QPR XI: Little, Williams-Lowe, Bagan, Owens (Aoraha 45’), Jude-Boyd, Woodman, Ajose (Pedder 78’) Bettache, De Silva (Flaherty 45’), Remy, Mema.

That was Tuesday

Comment

Alot of what is being said in this thread makes sense in one post.

We need youth, we need the academy to wok, both in terms of on the pitch results and resale value, we will always, always be a selling club, a stepping stone for big time stars, but we need to be known as that, so prospects are attracted to our academy.

We need experience in the squad.

We need loan players, those that want to make a name for themselves and prove they have what it takes.

We need a culture of development, not one of mediocrity. To do this we should be looking at our past, we are a well liked club, I feel the general football world likes it when we do well. Alot of that is because of our great players, Wilkins, Sinclair, Ferdinand etc.

We need the time and commitment to those ideas.

I do believe that back of house is pulling in that direction, I think that the sooner and better we do that, the sooner and better as a club we will be ready for the next level consistently. It will take time, the current crop of youngsters are not good enough, I don't know that we are an attractive prospect for young up and coming stars because of that. As a prem club looking to give my player some good game time at a competitive level i don't know that i would choose QPR. As a young London superstar in the making I don't know that I would chose QPR as my pathway to the big time, but I have no idea what that decision feels like, I just know that in the last few years only Eze, and maybe BOS could considered as success stories.

The next manager is important, but more important is what the back room staff are trying to achieve with the clubs ethos, for the long term. We should have no short or medium term goals such as promotion, as that will come as a product of all of the above falling into place.

Comment

I don't agree we are liked. Briatore ruined all that. I believe a lot of people still associate us with overspending and "getting away with ignoring FFP". I believe the average football fan is pretty insular and not clued-up about other teams. Even commentators/pundits are thick.... twice recently I've heard commentators mention how well Huddersfield have done this season on a small budget. Huddersfield are actually still getting parachute money this season though.

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post
            I don't agree we are liked. Briatore ruined all that. I believe a lot of people still associate us with overspending and "getting away with ignoring FFP". I believe the average football fan is pretty insular and not clued-up about other teams. Even commentators/pundits are thick.... twice recently I've heard commentators mention how well Huddersfield have done this season on a small budget. Huddersfield are actually still getting parachute money this season though.
            When you tell the average fan you support QPR they generally smile and say something nice. Maybe it's just my age group that i speak to....We are not a top tier team to be loved or loathed, neither are we a nothing team that has not real history (alot of fans would hate me for saying that) I think Loftus Rd / KP does alot of the heavy lifting for that image, it's a fun, old school place to watch a football match. Our past great players also. So while the image of the afew years damaged us (especially the Hughes era), i think we are an ok club to the outside world.

To me that matters.

Comment

Who was the last decent/impressive loan player we had? A quality still-developing prospect from a big prem club. Howcum, Kane went to Norwich, Lukaku went to WBA, Abraham went to Villa, Neketiah went to Leeds.

I can recall Kyle Walker and Andros Townsend but since then? I'd like to see more loans from our neighbouring prem clubs.

I'm not counting Wells and Hugill... they were not good enough for two prem teams and thus farmed out to EFL. Basically I don't want cast-offs or spares, I want to see up and coming talent loaned in. Other EFL teams seem to get their mitts on such players, why can't we?
              They only scored 28 goals between them...

The youth element is largely fantasy; they have to be tended with experienced players.

Comment

Originally posted by Hope & Faith View Post

They only scored 28 goals between them...

The youth element is largely fantasy; they have to be tended with experienced players.
                Fantasy? Really? It's about trying to build a team and a club for the future with some sort of longevity, build a team from youth that can grow together, try to keep that team together, although we do need to create income through sales, I accept that, but what we are doing at the moment is not working, older players who only come for the money, don't really give a flying #### about the club or the fans, this club will eventually whither and die if the people who run it cannot look forward and have a bit of vision and ambition

Comment

Who was the last decent/impressive loan player we had? A quality still-developing prospect from a big prem club. Howcum, Kane went to Norwich, Lukaku went to WBA, Abraham went to Villa, Neketiah went to Leeds.

I can recall Kyle Walker and Andros Townsend but since then? I'd like to see more loans from our neighbouring prem clubs.

I'm not counting Wells and Hugill... they were not good enough for two prem teams and thus farmed out to EFL. Basically I don't want cast-offs or spares, I want to see up and coming talent loaned in. Other EFL teams seem to get their mitts on such players, why can't we?
                  The big clubs have been loaning out their best youngsters to other clubs whilst we get the likes of Matt Smith from Man City.

we used to occasionally get some better ones like Taraabt, Walker, Townsend from Spurs, but haven’t really had any as good since. Sure we got Amos on loan and he has blown hot and cold, then got injured after we bought him and has since improved.

Our current lot would struggle if they made the bulk of the team, but had Warburton put a bit more faith in them, he could have played a few in some games. The likes of Duke-McKenna did well against Everton in the cup and would have faired better than Hendrick. Also, Masterson played well in the team before being loaned out in favour of Sanderson. Armstrong would surely have made an impact as a sub had he been given a chance. He is 19 years old and this league has had many of a similar age been given the chance.

Comment

Originally posted by KevC59 View Post

Fantasy? Really? It's about trying to build a team and a club for the future with some sort of longevity, build a team from youth that can grow together, try to keep that team together, although we do need to create income through sales, I accept that, but what we are doing at the moment is not working, older players who only come for the money, don't really give a flying #### about the club or the fans, this club will eventually whither and die if the people who run it cannot look forward and have a bit of vision and ambition
                    we could follow the Man Utd model…. Trouble is;

1. the players have to have talent

2. even Man Utd, with all their resources, can’t follow the Man Utd model.

A mixture of youth and experience is what is needed. Again, imho.

Comment

Maybe we need to have HOPE in younger players , and FAITH in a forward looking manager to give them a chance?

Comment

100% agree, mix of experienced pros with several young players.

Comment

LOL

That's the thing, you are not guaranteed success by following the path of developing youth. We have to try as for us that is where the money is, aside from promotion at all costs but look where that got us last time.

In reality it is a balance of all of these things, squad players, loan players, experience, youth, club full time die hards, players that do a job for a season or two. The key is finding the person at the helm that can conduct this balance, and that whatever the party line is, from Chairman to dinner lady it's solid.

Comment

Well it remains to be seen, I know which way I want to go, others have different ideas, let's hope whichever way we go that the good times roll!!

Comment

Yeah doesn't look great when you look at some of the results in the u23 and u18s.

One player I am excited for is Stevan Bala - albeit blindly as I have never seen him play! Seemed to have some pedigree when coming to us and has looked to have done well for the u18s this season with the odd promotion game for the u23s.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post
                                What's happening with Bettache? Ten games for Oldham in 21/22 and came back to the club in Jan22?

I was hoping he'd be a first team player.......?
                                Warburton signed Hendrick on loan instead. He also loaned out Duke-McKenna who has impressed out on loan in the National League. I think both could have stayed and played in the Championship.

Comment

Working...
                                X