Young guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Young guns

I know they are hard to find, but who would like to see a younger team built at the club, it may be a struggle at first, but a young team, built now for the future, that can build a bond for the future, on the model, though not literally, on the Man Utd class of 92,, I know that group of players were exceptional, but you see the point, just get some energy and a real team ethic, where players will run through walls for each other, with a manager brave enough to carry out and stick with the plan, it would require a lot of patience from us, the fans, but I'm sick of seeing older players going through the motions and taking money under false pretences, just a thought and maybe a wish on my part
    How do you feel?

Would love it but we wouldn't be able to keep them away from the vultures.

Comment

We did manage to do that in the early eighties and reach our only FA Cup final, won the Championship (2 nd Division at the time) and stayed for 13 or 14 seasons at the top flight. Remember well our own Hucker, Roberts, Neill, Dawes, Waddock, the late Macdonald, Stewart, Allen and others under the guidance of Terry Venables. I am not sure we can replicate that again in the present circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by Martinmalta View Post
        We did manage to do that in the early eighties and reach our only FA Cup final, won the Championship (2 nd Division at the time) and stayed for 13 or 14 seasons at the top flight. Remember well our own Hucker, Roberts, Neill, Dawes, Waddock, the late Macdonald, Stewart, Allen and others under the guidance of Terry Venables. I am not sure we can replicate that again in the present circumstances.
        Oh I remember it soo well, Peter Hucker had only played a handful of games before the FA cup final and he was outstanding.
        but look, we are going nowhere at the moment, and it's going to take a strong belief and like I said patience, to do it, but I would rather be bold and brave and give it a go with the youngers, than take older players on who don't give a flying f uck, and it's obvious they don't, just sick of seeing it

Comment

Unless the club have been hiding it well if we try and do that with our current youngsters we will likely be in League 2 given a couple of seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by KevC59 View Post
            I know they are hard to find, but who would like to see a younger team built at the club, it may be a struggle at first, but a young team, built now for the future, that can build a bond for the future, on the model, though not literally, on the Man Utd class of 92,, I know that group of players were exceptional, but you see the point, just get some energy and a real team ethic, where players will run through walls for each other, with a manager brave enough to carry out and stick with the plan, it would require a lot of patience from us, the fans, but I'm sick of seeing older players going through the motions and taking money under false pretences, just a thought and maybe a wish on my part
            How do you feel?
            The board will sell em, what's the point?

Comment

You'll never win anything with a team of kids.

Comment

Originally posted by FurtiveFox View Post
                Unless the club have been hiding it well if we try and do that with our current youngsters we will likely be in League 2 given a couple of seasons.
                Tbh I would rather see youngers giving it a right go for the club then, senior citizens playing in slippers every week, ala Johansson Austin etc,
                IT doesn't have to be home grown players , but look long and hard down the league's for potential, give these players a go, every top class player probably started further down, I'm sure Kevin Keegan was playing for Scunthorpe when Liverpool picked him up, Ian Wright was playing for Hayes Town , I think, when he got picked up by Palace etc etc, you get my point?,
                I'm sure the diamonds in the rough are out there somewhen, the problem is finding them and convincing them to come, and to keep the vultures away, as someone said earlier, offer them good contracts, not mega money, but 4-5 year contracts, if people in any job, have a certain security, financially, they can relax and fully concentrate on the job in hand, maybe I'm talking b ollocks, but I'll own it, and it makes sense to me

Comment

Originally posted by KevC59 View Post

Tbh I would rather see youngers giving it a right go for the club then, senior citizens playing in slippers every week, ala Johansson Austin etc,
                  IT doesn't have to be home grown players , but look long and hard down the league's for potential, give these players a go, every top class player probably started further down, I'm sure Kevin Keegan was playing for Scunthorpe when Liverpool picked him up, Ian Wright was playing for Hayes Town , I think, when he got picked up by Palace etc etc, you get my point?,
                  I'm sure the diamonds in the rough are out there somewhen, the problem is finding them and convincing them to come, and to keep the vultures away, as someone said earlier, offer them good contracts, not mega money, but 4-5 year contracts, if people in any job, have a certain security, financially, they can relax and fully concentrate on the job in hand, maybe I'm talking b ollocks, but I'll own it, and it makes sense to me
                  What I am hoping for is whoever is in charge next season throws some youngsters in as I suspect we do have a couple who if thrown in at the deep end can progress and do a job. It is good to send them out to lower league clubs but sometimes it pays to take a risk. For example personally think Murphy did pretty well in his couple of games but as about number 20th choice keeper had it not been for our goalie crisis would not have got a look in otherwise.

Comment

For sure things have to be made quite different. We all know that whenever we had talent, like Sterling, the vultures will be around. There's no way we will be allowed to produce a talented young team by the big boys. However, doing it differently as we did recently will certainly work. Dieng, Dickie, Dunne, Willock, Amos, Chair, and Field are all young players with potential that can move the club forward and they did not cost a fortune. So, I think that is the best way to do it in our present situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Martinmalta View Post
                      For sure things have to be made quite different. We all know that whenever we had talent, like Sterling, the vultures will be around. There's no way we will be allowed to produce a talented young team by the big boys. However, doing it differently as we did recently will certainly work. Dieng, Dickie, Dunne, Willock, Amos, Chair, and Field are all young players with potential that can move the club forward and they did not cost a fortune. So, I think that is the best way to do it in our present situation.
                      Totally agree on the players mentioned, would like to add George Thomas to that list as well, he is a good player who should be bought on with the right coaching, great energy and effort whenever he plays it seems, these , plus some more diamonds in the rough, could provide a good future

Comment

Who was the last decent/impressive loan player we had? A quality still-developing prospect from a big prem club. Howcum, Kane went to Norwich, Lukaku went to WBA, Abraham went to Villa, Neketiah went to Leeds.

I can recall Kyle Walker and Andros Townsend but since then? I'd like to see more loans from our neighbouring prem clubs.

I'm not counting Wells and Hugill... they were not good enough for two prem teams and thus farmed out to EFL. Basically I don't want cast-offs or spares, I want to see up and coming talent loaned in. Other EFL teams seem to get their mitts on such players, why can't we?

Comment

Our youngsters don't seem to be good enough
                          So we'll have to look outside the club . Dieng , willock and dunne are the only bit of quality at the club , maybe add chair to that list if he bucks his ideas up .. George Thomas is not a championship player runs about a lot but real lack of quality and Poor touch .Can he get any better who knows .

Comment

What's happening with Bettache? Ten games for Oldham in 21/22 and came back to the club in Jan22?

I was hoping he'd be a first team player.......?

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post
                              Who was the last decent/impressive loan player we had? A quality still-developing prospect from a big prem club. Howcum, Kane went to Norwich, Lukaku went to WBA, Abraham went to Villa, Neketiah went to Leeds.

I can recall Kyle Walker and Andros Townsend but since then? I'd like to see more loans from our neighbouring prem clubs.

I'm not counting Wells and Hugill... they were not good enough for two prem teams and thus farmed out to EFL. Basically I don't want cast-offs or spares, I want to see up and coming talent loaned in. Other EFL teams seem to get their mitts on such players, why can't we?
                              Jimmy Smith!!
                              Mikel Beck!!
                              Mark Kennedy!!

Comment

Working...
                              X