Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mid season blip or have we been riding our luck for a while?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid season blip or have we been riding our luck for a while?

Though performances have been very good at times this season, and I am very happy with the league position, I feel the team has been riding it's luck for a while now. We've just done enough to nick results and we have gotten the wins while playing poorly, often.

Fair amount of people saying calm down it's just afew bad games, including the manager. A fair few more seem to be saying wake up and smell the coffee we've been asking for this for a while, we are now on the wrong end of results.

So will we improve with the same setup that got us here? or have we ridden our luck?
    Mid season blip, keep at it, don't try to fix what isn't broken
    14.29%
    We've been riding our luck, it's run out, time for some changes
    57.14%
    A bit of a blip, but some changes are needed
    19.05%
    None of the above
    9.52%

We seem to have gone off the boil when we improved defensively. Also teams have had a while to work us out so time for a slight modification.

Comment

I don't think its the wholesale catastrophe some might think, but the reality is that in everything you have to strive to improve.
      And we are standing still at the moment.

Comment

There are players not performing to the best right now, they need to sit back for a couple of games, we all know who they are, I'm sure we can get back to form as a team, but to just keep plowing on when things are not as they should be is wrong

Comment

It's been a diabolical February. Three disgraceful away performances and losses bookending a draw at home to Boro where frankly they looked the "team more likely".

When you look at the calibre, position and form of the opposition in those three away debacles it make things even worse.

It's a 9 month 46-game season. You'd expect to have to evolve through that season and get dialled-in ready for a push over last quarter of the season. Unfortunately we have totally blown up. Run out of zip, energy, belief and ideas.

I can't see point of throwing the baby out with the bathwater at this juncture but there has to be a 500% increase in the pace and intensity of our play on Saturday. I'm looking to Warburton to select players who can deliver the intensity and set them up in a manner that creates a serious and sustained goal threat to the opposition. I'm also looking for him to act swiftly during the game if things aren't working. Basically, I want Warburton AND the players on the front foot.

I selected "None of the Above" in the poll cos I feel Saturday's game is a sort of last chance saloon moment for the team/coaches to show they can sort themselves out. However, a poor outcome against Hull would make me minded to break off a self-imposed pledge I made to lay off Warburton this season.

Comment

Bit of both for me. A lot of our positive results have been by fine margins based on being solid and nicking points. But that is not to say we have not done very well overall. To get anywhere you need to be able to dig in and grind out results and we have been doing that up until the last few games.

Just need to rest some players, tinker with the system and we have every chance of getting it back on track. If we don't we have every chance of slipping down the league!

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post
              It's been a diabolical February. Three disgraceful away performances and losses bookending a draw at home to Boro where frankly they looked the "team more likely".

When you look at the calibre, position and form of the opposition in those three away debacles it make things even worse.

It's a 9 month 46-game season. You'd expect to have to evolve through that season and get dialled-in ready for a push over last quarter of the season. Unfortunately we have totally blown up. Run out of zip, energy, belief and ideas.

I can't see point of throwing the baby out with the bathwater at this juncture but there has to be a 500% increase in the pace and intensity of our play on Saturday. I'm looking to Warburton to select players who can deliver the intensity and set them up in a manner that creates a serious and sustained goal threat to the opposition. I'm also looking for him to act swiftly during the game if things aren't working. Basically, I want Warburton AND the players on the front foot.

I selected "None of the Above" in the poll cos I feel Saturday's game is a sort of last chance saloon moment for the team/coaches to show they can sort themselves out. However, a poor outcome against Hull would make me minded to break off a self-imposed pledge I made to lay off Warburton this season.
              Excellent post, eloquently put

Comment

It’s what makes this league tougher than the prem bottom can beat top if you ain’t on it

personally I think we had a poor transfer window but we’re in top 6 Barnsley was diabolical as for fa cup nothing new

couple of wins and we will forget this thread imo

Comment

I Stated on another thread, that I think we have done remarkably well so far this season. Far exceeding intial expectations.
                  For me though, its been apparent for a while that we have been underperforming, and that we have most definitely rode our luck since Christmas.
                  Either teams have sussed out how to play us (high pressing game), or we have overused some of our key players, resulting in below par displays.​​​​​

Comment

If teams are working us out , why ain't we working them out .

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo
                      I trust Warbs to carry on putting out a competitive side and formation as he has been doing for some time. We've done really well and I think we've been punching above our weight mostly.

Having said that, there's no reason that can't carry on and the players need to compete once they get out there, especially against teams like Barnsley and Millwall. Lately we've looked like we're out for a Sunday stroll.
                      This is what's frustrating people, punching or not, it's been a good season so far overall, however it is in danger of becoming a mediocre season, MW has had a little bite back at fans like us in certain media outlets, for calling for changes in the team and formation, he is absolutely correct in his statements saying this team and these players got us to where we are at the moment, which when all's said and done isn't a terrible place to be, but the way things are going, we are not going to stay where we are for long, that's what is concerning fans like us!!
                      What's the old adage " the definition of stupidity is making the same mistake over and over, and expecting a different result every time "
                      If he persists on the course he is now, with his selections and tactics, he is going to " lose" the fans and ultimately he will " lose" the dressing room.
                      That is the death knell for any manager.
                      We all have the same hopes and dreams as fans, nobody wants to be writing this sort of s hit about their manager or their team, but many of us have invested many years into supporting this club and we have a right to voice our concerns and opinions

Comment

Originally posted by KevC59 View Post

This is what's frustrating people, punching or not, it's been a good season so far overall, however it is in danger of becoming a mediocre season, MW has had a little bite back at fans like us in certain media outlets, for calling for changes in the team and formation, he is absolutely correct in his statements saying this team and these players got us to where we are at the moment, which when all's said and done isn't a terrible place to be, but the way things are going, we are not going to stay where we are for long, that's what is concerning fans like us!!
                        What's the old adage " the definition of stupidity is making the same mistake over and over, and expecting a different result every time "
                        If he persists on the course he is now, with his selections and tactics, he is going to " lose" the fans and ultimately he will " lose" the dressing room.
                        That is the death knell for any manager.
                        We all have the same hopes and dreams as fans, nobody wants to be writing this sort of s hit about their manager or their team, but many of us have invested many years into supporting this club and we have a right to voice our concerns and opinions
                        Well said. Especially your last thought.

‘This is not a time for MW, with all that’s been achieved, to tell fans to ignore the reality of the past few weeks. It’s not the dropped points that concerns us; it’s the dropped level of play.

MW promised to use the full squad to bring us home. Honor it, and honor us by showing there’s nothing you won’t try to make that happen.

Comment

Originally posted by 72bus View Post
                          If teams are working us out , why ain't we working them out .
                          This!!
                          QPR
                          Best team in the world
                          Sort of

Comment

Been riding our luck since Barnsley home 2nd home game of the season I feel lets be non blinkered and honest we have had lots of luck this year Barnsley, Cov lucky to have got a point let alone 4 A few away games we were rubbish should have lost but won most recently B.City/ Cov away just think how many times has the opposing manager said, "Really good point win today against a really good team who will be right up there end of the season" Never NOT ONCE like when we went up with Warnock many did

Comment

firstly, 4 games played v below mid table teams, inc cup at posh, we lost 3 drew one and scored the one goal. not good form, but we stay top 4 and look how WBA are sliding away so there is hope. secondly is it wrong to suggest a formation change , shake it up a game or so? it is a long season 46 games and then maybe another 3 , so managing injuries, form and all that is a proper mission, but we have a squad for that. with blackburn away soon, a real graveyard for us, we need a big win v blackpool this week. you can bet bereton-diaz will be ready for us!

Comment

Working...
                              X