Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the reason for our defensive turn-around?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the reason for our defensive turn-around?

Just be interested in your thoughts. Admittedly we have been playing weaker teams post Fulham as opposed to the games leading up to that match, but the drop in the number of goals conceded is fantastic progress and not sure has been sufficiently acknowledged by us the fan base. I will hold my hand up and admit I was one of those who was starting to despair because I just thought if we can't keep it tighter at the back we have no chance of the play offs. But fair play to Mark, he has really tightened it up.

Reasons I can think of but as I say would welcome your insights:

Return of Wallace (but we had tightened up a bit before his return anyway, tho sure he helps)
    Uncle (not only has he been very good going forward he has, IMHO, been the most disciplined of the three right wing backs we have tried this season and unlike Kakay and Odubajo he is not letting players run in behind him - has the solution to our right wing back problem been sitting there all along?)
    Dunne (again I hold my hand up, I was getting frustrated that he would play well but drop one absolute Danny Maddix style clanger a game that was costing us a goal - he has been excellent the last couple of games)
    Dickie and Barbet (both seemed to have upped their form)
    Seny (certainly against Huddersfield looked back to his best)
    Defensive midfield (Stef getting much better after a poor start to the season. Dozzell altho not a great tackler like Ball tends to be more careful in possession so we aren't losing it in as many dangerous areas - tho he did do some sloppy passes late on against Huddersfield which is prob why he was hooked - still we now have a midfield that can all pass/ keep possession with no weak links in terms of skill)
    Having the likes of Amos and Field to bring on late when we need to close a game out
    Tactics (is Warbs making us play a bit more defensively? I will yet again hold my hand up and say I was getting a bit frustrated before we scored in the week because there was rarely a player on the overlap which seemed odd when we had at times three players down the left - but maybe Warbs is now saying to the team "keep it tight for the first hour, pass the other team off the park, then spaces will open up late on- only then go gung ho." Not sure about this but it just seemed to be more how we are setting up now?)

Only qualification to above is in the opening minutes against Huddersfield and at several points against Luton against a more clinical side we would have been punished. So its probably a work in progress rather than job done.

Concentration which has probably led to mistakes being eradicated imo

Stef playing a lot better too

Comment

A long ole season, full of ups and downs. Anyone can beat anyone...

In general, we are gathering 1.8 points per game pushing us into the top 6...

Players form will be up and down.

Comment

That was a great summary of where we are now, I think a lot of work has been put in on the training ground especially during the last international break, the spaces between the defence and midfielders seems to have shortened and closed, I was at the Fulham game and the amount of space they were given was absolutely ridiculous. I I think the gaffer has had a bit of a re think and slightly suppressed the urgency to just go gung ho on the attacking side, this in turn has made us not only more affective, but we look more attractive and in control. The mistakes have been reduced but that's not to say that we could be way tighter at the back at times. The team does seem to have a great togetherness which has been discussed in another topic, but all in all, things at the moment are looking very good, another win at a very tricky game at Derby on Monday will see the confidence sky high

Comment

Lee Wallace good at doing what he does .

Comment

I think less reliance on Adel has made us a tighter unit.

Comment

some good points there, but let's be honest here, we got away with it against Luton and their strikers wearing their boots on the wrong feet!

Comment

Think its to do with us gelling more n more together as the season goes on. If you look at all that passing between Chair, Willock, Wallace and others on the right flank it takes a lot of togetherness and trust for that.

Comment

Originally posted by stainrodisalegend View Post
                  Just be interested in your thoughts. Admittedly we have been playing weaker teams post Fulham as opposed to the games leading up to that match, but the drop in the number of goals conceded is fantastic progress and not sure has been sufficiently acknowledged by us the fan base. I will hold my hand up and admit I was one of those who was starting to despair because I just thought if we can't keep it tighter at the back we have no chance of the play offs. But fair play to Mark, he has really tightened it up.

Reasons I can think of but as I say would welcome your insights:

Return of Wallace (but we had tightened up a bit before his return anyway, tho sure he helps)
                  Uncle (not only has he been very good going forward he has, IMHO, been the most disciplined of the three right wing backs we have tried this season and unlike Kakay and Odubajo he is not letting players run in behind him - has the solution to our right wing back problem been sitting there all along?)
                  Dunne (again I hold my hand up, I was getting frustrated that he would play well but drop one absolute Danny Maddix style clanger a game that was costing us a goal - he has been excellent the last couple of games)
                  Dickie and Barbet (both seemed to have upped their form)
                  Seny (certainly against Huddersfield looked back to his best)
                  Defensive midfield (Stef getting much better after a poor start to the season. Dozzell altho not a great tackler like Ball tends to be more careful in possession so we aren't losing it in as many dangerous areas - tho he did do some sloppy passes late on against Huddersfield which is prob why he was hooked - still we now have a midfield that can all pass/ keep possession with no weak links in terms of skill)
                  Having the likes of Amos and Field to bring on late when we need to close a game out
                  Tactics (is Warbs making us play a bit more defensively? I will yet again hold my hand up and say I was getting a bit frustrated before we scored in the week because there was rarely a player on the overlap which seemed odd when we had at times three players down the left - but maybe Warbs is now saying to the team "keep it tight for the first hour, pass the other team off the park, then spaces will open up late on- only then go gung ho." Not sure about this but it just seemed to be more how we are setting up now?)

Only qualification to above is in the opening minutes against Huddersfield and at several points against Luton against a more clinical side we would have been punished. So its probably a work in progress rather than job done.
                  I said before Wednesdays game, that we would come out and up the tempo second half. We do seem to be less gung ho from the outset now. Which is no bad thing, as we seem to be able to up the intensity when required.

Comment

I also think we weren't as bad as many on here think...sure we were giving up opportunities but at times we have been genuinely unlucky were every mistake seemed to get punished!

we have a goal difference of plus 7 for the first time in living memory!! with the positions from 3 to 13 being this tight it could be goal difference that gets you in the playoffs

Comment

Seny Dieng back to his best.

That's the difference.

End of.

Comment

Originally posted by 3London View Post
                        I also think we weren't as bad as many on here think...sure we were giving up opportunities but at times we have been genuinely unlucky were every mistake seemed to get punished!

we have a goal difference of plus 7 for the first time in living memory!! with the positions from 3 to 13 being this tight it could be goal difference that gets you in the playoffs
                        So funny but true.

Comment

Working...
                        X