Taking The Knee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by topperharley View Post
    Your issue here is forced equality. Most people are sane, not racist, proponents of equal opportunity be it based on disability, sex, orientation or whatever. Some are not but they can get in the sea. Life should be based on competence and nothing else. Sure the advantaged should help the disadvantaged but that should also not be based on any kind of creed or other orientation either, or even a demand, it should be our civic duty and not one that is dictated by a movement on social media. If a blind china man born a pig that identifies as a goose can manage a company and do it bloody well, let him. But that doesn't mean every board of directors needs one.

The harder one side pushes an agenda onto another the harder the other will push back, and the more people move from the middle ground to either side.

Racism has no place in football and neither does politics, but I do think players should be allowed to use their platform to raise issues. Personally i don't care if that's on the pitch or off it. Colin Kaepernick started all this and I thought it was cool and the right thing to do, America has issues, Uk too but they got deep set problems eh. But as usual these days it's been taken too far and now players are forced into this weird position, and people are getting pissed off about something that should be put to bed.

Decent post.... I think that as England fans are generally viewed as a tad right of centre and racist, anything thing that they do, will be viewed as such.

Like you, It really doesn't bother me if players want to use their profile to highlight issues but it shouldn't become a standard part of the pre match ritual as it soon begins to lack real heart and meaning.

Again, good post and good to see a reasoned view on the situation rather than most of the previous posts by high blood pressured gammons hurtling towards a heart attack......

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnykc View Post

Decent post.... I think that as England fans are generally viewed as a tad right of centre and racist, anything thing that they do, will be viewed as such.

Like you, It really doesn't bother me if players want to use their profile to highlight issues but it shouldn't become a standard part of the pre match ritual as it soon begins to lack real heart and meaning.

Again, good post and good to see a reasoned view on the situation rather than most of the previous posts by high blood pressured gammons hurtling towards a heart attack......
      So, a reasoned view can only be one where it doesnt bother you? But if you have a firm stance from balanced information and opinion, which have been explained, then such views are knee jerk?

And your subsequent analysis is that such posters have boarderline physical and mental health issues and you insult them? I don't think your view is considered, but I wont insult you for it.

Last edited by SheepRanger; 08-06-2021, 04:25 PM.

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...acism-football

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post

So, a reasoned view can only be one where it doesnt bother you? But if you have a firm stance from balanced information and opinion, which have been explained, then such views are knee jerk?

And your subsequent analysis is that such posters have boarderline physical and mental health issues and you insult them? I don't think your view is considered, but I wont insult you for it.

Apologies Sheep....I was not referencing any of your posts in my comment..... I would have thought the 'angry old man' posts should have been quite easy to spot......

I highlighted Toppers post because it was much more than just the fact that it shouldn't bother you.

Comment

Using the term “Gammons “ is an obvious racial and class based slur. It’s Guardian speak for White Working Class men. No need really, unless you want to stereotype.
            Also “England fans are viewed as a tad right wing and racist “
            I’m an England fan and I describe myself as Left Wing and not racist. Sounds like middle class stereotyping again.

Comment

Originally posted by dandcqpr View Post
              Using the term “Gammons “ is an obvious racial and class based slur. It’s Guardian speak for White Working Class men. No need really, unless you want to stereotype.
              Also “England fans are viewed as a tad right wing and racist “
              I’m an England fan and I describe myself as Left Wing and not racist. Sounds like middle class stereotyping again.
              Now THAT is a good honest and decent post.
              Well said sir

Comment

Apologies Sheep....I was not referencing any of your posts in my comment..... I would have thought the 'angry old man' posts should have been quite easy to spot......

I highlighted Toppers post because it was much more than just the fact that it shouldn't bother you.
                No problem.

But it starts the potential for more aggressive replies and the thread then descents into a slanging match.

It's a shame, as someone mentioned earlier, that you're deemed to be some form of extremist if your view go more than slightly left or right of centre.

I've had all this during Brexit and here we go again. People with even gut felt opinions should be respected and challenged without insults.

The world is too polarised right now.

Comment

Gonzo ( Southgate) trying to manipulate the media again
                  Dear England........ffs give me a break Correction not trying

Comment

Your issue here is forced equality. Most people are sane, not racist, proponents of equal opportunity be it based on disability, sex, orientation or whatever. Some are not but they can get in the sea. Life should be based on competence and nothing else. Sure the advantaged should help the disadvantaged but that should also not be based on any kind of creed or other orientation either, or even a demand, it should be our civic duty and not one that is dictated by a movement on social media. If a blind china man born a pig that identifies as a goose can manage a company and do it bloody well, let him. But that doesn't mean every board of directors needs one.

The harder one side pushes an agenda onto another the harder the other will push back, and the more people move from the middle ground to either side.

Racism has no place in football and neither does politics, but I do think players should be allowed to use their platform to raise issues. Personally i don't care if that's on the pitch or off it. Colin Kaepernick started all this and I thought it was cool and the right thing to do, America has issues, Uk too but they got deep set problems eh. But as usual these days it's been taken too far and now players are forced into this weird position, and people are getting pissed off about something that should be put to bed.

Colin Kaepernick started his protest long before George Floyd and he has suffered for it ever since. That right there is true activism not our insincere bandwagon jumping footballers. The only other sporting comparison I can think of is John Carlos and Tommie Smith at the 1968 Mexico olympics, they too suffered for their stand.

Comment

I am irritated by it on a far simpler level. I've got revved up ready for the game. Poor PA bloke has been whipping the crowd up (well yknow, "crowd") and then pfffftttt pop the balloon with some weird posturing on the pitch just before kick off.
                      The message could be anything..... save the planet, nurses, Northerners, whatever I don't actually care at all. There isnt ANY cause or message they could have behind it that would make me think "this is great. They should do this every game forever". After 1 week I'd be thinking FFS, not this guff again????
                      The concept of a drink driving car crasher covid breaker like Grealish expressing any effing socio political opinion on a football pitch is utterly ridiculous just once, surely anyone can see why I'd be perplexed why he's done it about 100 times now with no sign of stopping? I'm not picking on Jack but effing hell, footballers as our moral compass? No thank you!
                      Basically it's NOT the message; it's the messenger and the method of delivery that's all wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Tee View Post

Colin Kaepernick started his protest long before George Floyd and he has suffered for it ever since. That right there is true activism not our insincere bandwagon jumping footballers. The only other sporting comparison I can think of is John Carlos and Tommie Smith at the 1968 Mexico olympics, they too suffered for their stand.
                        He was the first to use his sporting profile as a tool to highlight police brutality against people of colour. Same thing going on here except I think it's lost in some kind of social tennis match stuck in a never ending tie breaker. When it should never be about winning, yet like most of our issues these days sides must be taken, which detract from the real issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post
                          The concept of a drink driving car crasher covid breaker like Grealish expressing any effing socio political opinion on a football pitch is utterly ridiculous just once, surely anyone can see why I'd be perplexed why he's done it about 100 times now with no sign of stopping? I'm not picking on Jack but effing hell, footballers as our moral compass? No thank you!
                          Basically it's NOT the message; it's the messenger and the method of delivery that's all wrong.
                          Yeah man, spot on. Though here are figures that lead by example and if they happen to be footballers then I'm still all for them using that platform to try and make the world a better place.

Comment

Yeah man, spot on. Though here are figures that lead by example and if they happen to be footballers then I'm still all for them using that platform to try and make the world a better place.
                            Yep. I don't mind them using their position to spread a message. Just not every match for 18 months and more. After a while it loses it's meaning anyway and then we get to where we are now and it starts to annoy people. Anyone that hasn't got the message by now isn't going to.

That's ignoring the fact that by recycling a previously used gesture they have confused the message as previously said.
                            "I don't read the papers, I don't gamble, I don't even know what day it is." - Steve McClaren.

Comment

Think this topic has run it’s course now

Comment

Oh dear, the Nazi Ageist is back.
                                I have supported Rangers for 55 seasons, since March 1969.

Comment

Working...
                                X