X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleeping Giants
    replied
    Originally posted by Hope & Faith View Post

Coaching is, imho, exactly where it should be...

We had more entertaining football last season, more ambition and condeded 76 goals.

Now, we are addressing the defence; that's where you start and 3 clean sheets in 7 games proves it is working.

Next up, the midfield. That in turn will boost both defence and attack.

Patience and time; it will come.
    The glass half full view is very understandable, generally the defence is much better this season, if you exclude penalties, own goals and the Coventry televised match (we don't do well on TV, Play offs aside), we've only conceed one goal this campaign..lol, I should seek a job in politics after that.

Leave a comment:

• SeamansGloves
    replied
    Originally posted by Hope & Faith View Post

We had more entertaining football last season, more ambition and condeded 76 goals.

Now, we are addressing the defence; that's where you start and 3 clean sheets in 7 games proves it is working.

this is what im saying

Leave a comment:

• Hope & Faith
    replied
    Originally posted by Qprtanpa1 View Post
    What is the point of going sideways and backwards in our end 25 percent or more of every game? Looking for the perfect pass, no one’s open, they’re packing in their defense?

Reality is we have slowed down our game, and had little drive and ambition to press forward, all while adding more offensive firepower = far less scoring, far more boredom, and a probable mid to lower table finish.

Sorry, but that’s a coaching issue, and it needs to change.

We have made real progress on personnel. Now let’s show we are willing to match it from the coaching box.

Leave a comment:

• 72bus
    replied
    I don't get this they need more time to gel and play together , they have Monday to Friday at training to do this . Work out plays , formations etc. Fact is we move the ball to slowly , mix it up a bit . Possession football is great if you're winning 2 nil . Passing sideways , backwards allowing the oppo to get back into their shape means u have to start again or go long

Leave a comment:

• 70sQPR
    replied
    Watching the game again, (glutton for punishment) there were was two main observations for me.
    1. Poor passing accuracy from our final third (Cameron and Barbet being the main culprits)
    2. Decison making by the "creative" players to either pass or release the ball when the oposittion half (BOS & Chair)

So the Answer? With our budget and current Management team and players it's practice, more preactice and encouragemnt from us All

Leave a comment:

• stanistheman
    replied
    Originally posted by Qprtanpa1 View Post
    What is the point of going sideways and backwards in our end 25 percent or more of every game? Looking for the perfect pass, no one’s open, they’re packing in their defense?

Reality is we have slowed down our game, and had little drive and ambition to press forward, all while adding more offensive firepower = far less scoring, far more boredom, and a probable mid to lower table finish.

We have made real progress on personnel. Now let’s show we are willing to match it from the coaching box.
    Agree with that. By the team the defenders get the ball forward the opposition have regrouped.

We have conceded less goals so far, but we are not creating chances, shooting or scoring anywhere near enough. It is as boring as JFH's drossball. We have some decent attacking players who given the ball might create more chances, shots and goals for those watching on their screens.

Leave a comment:

• Qprtanpa1
    replied

Leave a comment:

• loftbalcony
    replied
    Originally posted by Stainrod View Post
    I don’t think anyone would have looked at that starting 11 yesterday and said it was negative.2 strikers , 2 wingers and chair in centre mid . It shows me we haven’t found the tactics or formation to get the best out of these players yet .
    Yes I agree, the point I am making is we play far too negative for what we have.

Leave a comment:

• FurtiveFox
    replied
    We badly need to have tightened up after the last couple of seasons. Generally we have done that so far. Attacking wise Dykes has had a knock, Bonne signed late in window and not suited to lone striker role by looks of it and Uncle Albert and Willock very late arrivals. BOS aside we have all new attacking players. It is not just accommodating one or two additions going forwards but nearly everyone.

Personally I want to see what we look like going forwards say after another ten games once the new players have had a chance to play together and MW has a better idea how to use them in practice. On the face of it we have pace, ability to mix things up and potentially a couple of reasonable strikers at this level. That said, as Brian Clough used to say, football is played on grass not paper.

Leave a comment:

• Stainrod
    replied
    Originally posted by Abseits View Post
    But this whole division is subject to enormous change and churn twice a year. You start the season with several new players and get a load more in midway through the season. If you constantly take the stance of "giving them time to bed in" you are essentially writing off about 20 games over the season. That is a ridiculous approach and frankly if you aim low you will finish low.
    We have to demand far more from players - they need to hit the ground running and deliver NOW. Obviously there is enormous responsibility on hierarchy to get the right players in and on the manager to develop systems/patterns that players can easily pick up and get to grips with. The consensus is we had a decent window so hierarchy have done their bit.... It's time for manager and coaching staff to do their bit.
    I pretty much agree with this , the board have backed the manager and it’s over to him now . Having said that I doubt many sides ( Brentford apart ) have lost a player of the calibre of Eze this season , add to that the turnover of players compared to other clubs , I still feel we are finding our way right now , time will tell if we eventually gel into a decent side .

Leave a comment:

• QPRDave
    replied
    I agree Dave , some people see direct football as banging it up to your 2 strikers but it doesn’t need to be like that . We can be more direct by getting it to our wide men quicker and moving the ball quicker etc. Otherwise teams do what you said , sit deep and pick us off on the break .
    Exactly mate, we were playing something similar not so long ago.
    I seem to remember Lumley setting up a goal for BOS by a quick throw out.

Leave a comment:

• Abseits
    replied
    But this whole division is subject to enormous change and churn twice a year. You start the season with several new players and get a load more in midway through the season. If you constantly take the stance of "giving them time to bed in" you are essentially writing off about 20 games over the season. That is a ridiculous approach and frankly if you aim low you will finish low.
    We have to demand far more from players - they need to hit the ground running and deliver NOW. Obviously there is enormous responsibility on hierarchy to get the right players in and on the manager to develop systems/patterns that players can easily pick up and get to grips with. The consensus is we had a decent window so hierarchy have done their bit.... It's time for manager and coaching staff to do their bit.

Leave a comment:

• Stainrod
    replied
    Originally posted by QPRDave View Post
    The way I see it, we have tightened up at the back, but lost the genius of Eze.
    So as the title says work with what we have.
    But it ain't working.
    Warbs needs to obviously keep it tight, but then the obvious tactic is to hit teams on the break.
    Well that means being a damn sight more direct than the sideways and triangles in our half.
    Although at home I think we need to be more attack minded anyway.
    I get that if we have possession they can't score, but we keep losing possession they do score and then play us on the break.
    Cause we don't break them down, and play pretty but non effective football
    I agree Dave , some people see direct football as banging it up to your 2 strikers but it doesn’t need to be like that . We can be more direct by getting it to our wide men quicker and moving the ball quicker etc. Otherwise teams do what you said , sit deep and pick us off on the break .

Leave a comment:

• QPRDave
    replied
    The way I see it, we have tightened up at the back, but lost the genius of Eze.
    So as the title says work with what we have.
    But it ain't working.
    Warbs needs to obviously keep it tight, but then the obvious tactic is to hit teams on the break.
    Well that means being a damn sight more direct than the sideways and triangles in our half.
    Although at home I think we need to be more attack minded anyway.
    I get that if we have possession they can't score, but we keep losing possession they do score and then play us on the break.
    Cause we don't break them down, and play pretty but non effective football

Leave a comment:

• gator
    replied
    I don’t think anyone would have looked at that starting 11 yesterday and said it was negative.2 strikers , 2 wingers and chair in centre mid . It shows me we haven’t found the tactics or formation to get the best out of these players yet .
    Yes, it looked like a very attacking lineup, I'm a little surprised there wasn't better service to the strikers, I thought Chair had an average game at best and he is really counted on to make those important passes, BOS was a little selfish at times which I'm ok with, hopefully we can get this right but it's obviously not just on MW, the players have to do the business when they are played in these positions!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X