Massimo Luongo - Lge 1 level footballer? - Signs new contract until 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
    A midfield of Manning and Luongo alone with no support (Hall or Perch not doing his job) was never going to be strong. Bring in a 3rd midfielder like most good clubs do, someone who is big and energetic and watch both of them prosper.
    Agreed. Just dont feel like we have that kind of midfielder at our club. I would love to see Manning play with someone like that, feel like he would really shine and we would become so much better as a team. We lost today purely because we were bossed in midfield. Yeah the defence was poor but it would have so much less to do and wouldnt be as prone to mistakes as it is now if the midfield did a better job. The more you make your defence do the more you concede, simple as that.
    Last edited by bradrangers; 11-02-2017, 08:42 PM.

Comment

The more pressure is put on a young lad like Luongo the less the R's can take the best out of him. Players like Mass, CW, Furlong and Manning needs encouraging not being made a scapegoat. Now we have many young players that needs time and patience to be developed. If he had a bad game or two, next time rest him, but do not destroy his confidence. Mass is a good player and have a particular role to play, that is stopping the opponents and moving our attacks. Most of the games, he played this role superbly, however, currently he faded a bit.

Comment

All well and good making a few tackles in a game,but a center midfielder should add more to the team than just that. Hardly ever creates anything and not scored a single goal for us. Hopefully he may do all this next season when we're in league 1 and found his level.

Comment

Originally posted by Martinmalta View Post
          The more pressure is put on a young lad like Luongo the less the R's can take the best out of him. Players like Mass, CW, Furlong and Manning needs encouraging not being made a scapegoat. Now we have many young players that needs time and patience to be developed. If he had a bad game or two, next time rest him, but do not destroy his confidence. Mass is a good player and have a particular role to play, that is stopping the opponents and moving our attacks. Most of the games, he played this role superbly, however, currently he faded a bit.
          Again I agree with this, but surely when given a role like that you should have someone covering? Manning certainly doesnt do this and is a different type of player. As Nasser said if you play these 2 you have to bring in another midfielder to cover their assess that is big energetic and experienced. I dont know what you expect when you line up with Mass and Manning, both of them like to get forward and are too lightweight to control the midfield on their own. I really do hope that we add a midfielder capable of doing so in summer.

Comment

Originally posted by The Godfather View Post
            I wonder at what point our coaching staff and fanbase will realise that Luongo isn't good enough for the Championship? He shows the occasional nice touch here and there, but that's not really enough to justify a place on the team sheet every week, is it? He gives away possession regularly, makes stupid decisions (Brighton penalty was a classic example), gets pushed off the ball too easily and generally runs about like a headless chicken. Desperately need to drop him for the next game - really can't see how he's chosen over Sandro, or even Henry.

He may come good for us - when we're in League One next season.
            Perhaps he gets selected because he plays in a similar style to the one Ollie often played - the fanzines labeled him as a headless chicken too.
            By the way, Sandro has left and Henry is now an outcast.
            Edit: sorry just realised this is an old thread.

Comment

Watch the guy who assisted for their second run off Luongo whilst he ambles back like a mannikin on a trolley being pulled by an elderly man. Lightweight.

Comment

Originally posted by Rangers77 View Post
                Watch the guy who assisted for their second run off Luongo whilst he ambles back like a mannikin on a trolley being pulled by an elderly man. Lightweight.
                If you're talking about the player who played the first pass outside the box with Luongo and Hall closing, he wasn't being marked by Luongo, was being marked by Hall the centre back who didn't get back in time. Luongo there was just supporting and giving an outlet for when the defence would clear their lines. Once it gets into the box, I don't see how it's a midfielder's fault that 3 centre backs didn't defend well enough.
                "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

No.... we lost today because we didn't take our chances.

Comment

I haven't read the whole thread but he was clearly to blame for their 2nd goal for not tracking his man running into the box.

Comment

Wasn't there but what I've seen many times he goes missing far to often for long periods To be considered a player for this level

Comment

I have said many times the lad has no recovery powers and you watch opposition players just run past and away from him

Might be worth seeing cousins in his role

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
                          I have said many times the lad has no recovery powers and you watch opposition players just run past and away from him

Might be worth seeing cousins in his role
                          Cousins, blimey I don't think he's that bad. Cousins was a shocking signing that shouldn't be on the bench let alone starting 11
                          I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
                            I haven't read the whole thread but he was clearly to blame for their 2nd goal for not tracking his man running into the box.
                            Not completely his fault because the defending was worful, but again he was far too easy to run past off the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by bakes8 View Post
                              Not completely his fault because the defending was worful, but again he was far too easy to run past off the ball.
                              But cousins lol one of our worst signings wouldn't even pick the bloke for my 5aside team bakesey
                              I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

Clearly it's all about perceptions - and mine is Luongo just doesn't merit a place in the starting 11. Every time I've watched him, live or on TV, I find him frustrating, wasteful, ineffective. Occasionally he puts in a good tackle or breaks up the oppo's attack or makes a run, but generally I just don't get it. And like loads of others have said, he often (not always) seems to jog around, no urgency or bite.... Ideally if Morrison's fit he can be the midfield maestro, we can play Manning and Goss as DM's with Pawel and LuaLua (should be Shodipo but there you go...) as wingers.... no need for the drongo with the bongo.

Comment

Working...
                                X