Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Gallen departs - official

STEVE GALLEN LEAVES QPR

First Team Coach departs following 19 years’ service …

STEVE Gallen has left QPR after 19 years of employment with the club.

Gallen was named First Team Coach under former Head Coach Chris Ramsey in the summer of 2015, but the appointment of new Manager Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink has seen a restructure of the First Team coaching staff.

Director of Football Les Ferdinand told www.qpr.co.uk: “We are sorry to see Steve leave. As is common with First Team football, a manager likes to bring in his own people.

“I have been in dialogue with Steve for several weeks as we sought to find him a role within the academy set-up, which is where a vast amount of his experience lies.

“Unfortunately we have been unable to offer Steve a role which he felt was right for him.

“Steve has been a huge part of this football club and we thank him sincerely for the incredible contribution he has made over the past two decades. We wish him every success in the future.”

Gallen’s coaching career with QPR began when he joined the club as a 23 year-old in 1997 to work in a part-time capacity with our under-12 age group.

It wasn’t long before Gallen moved up to coach the under-16s, and he spent a further four years with this age group before being offered a full-time role by the club in 2007, going on to work with the under-18s.

Throughout this period, Gallen worked with QPR youth product Raheem Sterling, who would go on to join Liverpool in 2010 at the age of 15.

Eighteen months later, Gallen was named the club’s Head of Youth Development.

Gallen even enjoyed a brief spell as caretaker manager of the First Team. Following Jim Magilton’s departure from the club in December 2009, Gallen oversaw QPR’s 2-2 draw at West Bromwich Albion.

In 2014, Gallen was named Under 21s Head Coach before Ramsey appointed him First Team Coach last summer.

During his time at QPR, Gallen won the FL Youth Alliance Cup (2010), FL Youth Alliance League (2011, 2012), the Professional Development League Two title (2013) and the Newark International Soccer Classic (2013) with the under-18s.

With the under-21s, Gallen reached the Professional Development League Two Play-Off final in 2014.

Everyone at QPR would like to thank Steve for his incredible passion, commitment and enthusiasm throughout his time at the club, and wish him every success in the future.

http://www.qpr.co.uk/news/article/st...d-2925792.aspx

Sad day, Best Wishes Steve and thank you.

Comment

just as it looks like the club is getting it's act together, i wish steve the best of luck for the future. i doubt this will stop him from watching his beloved rangers, fark the politics its about qpr as a club with history.

Comment

That's a shame, good to have people in the club who do actually care.
        The early bird catches the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese....

Comment

Sad to see a loyal Rangers man go and i hope it doesn't sour his relations with the club. A good man and i wish him all the best in his next role and the future as i'm sure he will find another club and coaching role soon.

Comment

He clearly became a thorn in someone's side. Sad times.
            Banning people is no longer my hobby,
            but take a look at my photo blog:

http://kirillqpr.blogspot.com/

How and why did I start supporting QPR in Estonia:
            http://www.wearetherangersboys.com/forum/blog.php?b=852

Comment

“I have been in dialogue with Steve for several weeks as we sought to find him a role within the academy set-up, which is where a vast amount of his experience lies.

“Unfortunately we have been unable to offer Steve a role which he felt was right for him.

it does appear that they tried to keep him....

Comment

Originally posted by 3London View Post

it does appear that they tried to keep him....
                Did they try hard enough?

Comment

New manager brings his own people in, people get moved on from jobs every single day in every walk of life. Really isn't a big dea although it is a shame to see anyone lose their job (though he could of stayed doing something else but he chose not to), but he ain't dying and if he's as good as people think he is he will walk into another job at another club.

Comment

Could it be that he will be replaced with someone better. Not sure many of his players has reached the level which is required for being a 1st team player? Just a question?
                    QPR
                    Best team in the world
                    Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by Kirill View Post
                      He clearly became a thorn in someone's side. Sad times.
                      STEVE GALLEN ON LEAVING QPR AFTER 19 YEARS

“I have got nothing but praise for the chairman, the whole Board, the first team staff, everyone, nothing but good things.”

“There’s no ill feeling at all,” he said. “I have the upmost respect for Les (Ferdinand). When I was a young pro, he was a senior player here and I looked up to him. I will never forget how good Les has been to me.

“All I want for Jimmy, David (Oldfield) and Dirk (Heesen) is for them to be successful. I like them. I only spent a short time working with them but I was very impressed by Jimmy’s mentality, his attitude and his thirst for work. He wants to win, and I like that.

“Looking at him as a coach, I like the way he operates and the way he holds himself.”

Gallen was also full of praise for chairman Tony Fernandes, admitting he was impressed by him the first day he met him at Harlington in 2011.

“That first day, the chairman spoke to everybody – the whole club,” Gallen said. “Straight away I liked him, he had so much enthusiasm.

“When he finished speaking to the whole group, he came straight over to me. He had never met me before, but he said: ‘Steve, here’s my card, make sure we are in touch.’ It was brilliant. The personal touch was great.

“I think he has been unbelievable. So positive, so upbeat and he wants to do well. It’s probably cost him a fortune at times, so fair play to him for putting his money where his mouth is.

“In terms of the youth department, he made a point to me on that first day about how important it was to him that we brought young players through. He pretty-much gave me his full backing, and I will never forget that.”

“Being chosen by Chris Ramsey to work with the first team last summer was a big highlight for me.

“I’ll always be a QPR fan and that won’t change.

Comment

Proper pissed about how Steve has been treated. A real Rangers man and they "couldn't find a role for him"? ########. They found a role for Ramsey and Perry Suckling already had that role! Les was a great player but he's been here 18 years less than Steve, and Steve's been forced out of the club because of him...
                        You support QPR?!?!

– Every Australian Ever

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Mcleod View Post
                          STEVE GALLEN ON LEAVING QPR AFTER 19 YEARS

“I have got nothing but praise for the chairman, the whole Board, the first team staff, everyone, nothing but good things.”

“There’s no ill feeling at all,” he said. “I have the upmost respect for Les (Ferdinand). When I was a young pro, he was a senior player here and I looked up to him. I will never forget how good Les has been to me.

“All I want for Jimmy, David (Oldfield) and Dirk (Heesen) is for them to be successful. I like them. I only spent a short time working with them but I was very impressed by Jimmy’s mentality, his attitude and his thirst for work. He wants to win, and I like that.

“Looking at him as a coach, I like the way he operates and the way he holds himself.”

Gallen was also full of praise for chairman Tony Fernandes, admitting he was impressed by him the first day he met him at Harlington in 2011.

“That first day, the chairman spoke to everybody – the whole club,” Gallen said. “Straight away I liked him, he had so much enthusiasm.

“When he finished speaking to the whole group, he came straight over to me. He had never met me before, but he said: ‘Steve, here’s my card, make sure we are in touch.’ It was brilliant. The personal touch was great.

“I think he has been unbelievable. So positive, so upbeat and he wants to do well. It’s probably cost him a fortune at times, so fair play to him for putting his money where his mouth is.

“In terms of the youth department, he made a point to me on that first day about how important it was to him that we brought young players through. He pretty-much gave me his full backing, and I will never forget that.”

“Being chosen by Chris Ramsey to work with the first team last summer was a big highlight for me.

“I’ll always be a QPR fan and that won’t change.
                          Thanks for posting and hope to see Kevin and Steve at QPR. I guess with all things we have to move on.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisbane View Post
                            Proper pissed about how Steve has been treated. A real Rangers man and they "couldn't find a role for him"? ########. They found a role for Ramsey and Perry Suckling already had that role! Les was a great player but he's been here 18 years less than Steve, and Steve's been forced out of the club because of him...
                            How has he been treated? Stop making assumptions. Club could have tried everything to keep him at the club in some capacity but he might want a new challenge.

He's been here 19 years and supports the club. Not enough of a reason to keep someone on if people don't find him good enough.

I have to say, he's someone that's always sort of been "there" at QPR, so it's a shame to see someone of that nature go, but if the club thinks it's right you have to back them. Especially when we don't know the full facts.

Comment

Kirilll, what more than us do know about his departure? Zilch, I reckon.
                              Last edited by Shania; 30-01-2016, 03:22 PM.
                              QPR
                              Best team in the world
                              Sort of

Comment

Working...
                              X