The positive thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
    Well no, but I understand that if you don't look at stats you won't respect the quality of players like Tom Carroll, which far too many people don't. People suggest that players like him or Faurlin can be passengers to games when in fact, they are the pilots. They force the ball to move and force the opposition to move.
    Here's something for you to know, when a player makes a pass, the opposition move to cover. This means that at least 1 player is now out of position. Think about it, every single pass played forces one player out of their designated position, because no team in the world (least of all in the Championship) is organised like that, or intelligent enough to maintain their shape. So even a back pass, a sideways pass, a simple two or three yard pass is vital in breaking down teams. So every single pass and move that faurlin plays is vital in opening up space for players ahead of him.
    So the suggestion that anyone who spends a lot of time playing the ball back is making no progress is ludicrous and unfounded. What they are doing is opening more space for themselves when they are under pressure, or opening new gaps when they see movement from the opposition. So yes, the majority of those 70 passes were good, because they created space, as all passes do. Secondly, for someone to hold onto the ball for almost 9 minutes of play is a scarily impressive amount of time. But again, if you don't see the point in backwards passes, you probably won't see the point in opening up and holding the ball. Just the basics of him holding the ball, as our most talented ball player, he can generally get the ball away to players easily. If other players are closing him down, it creates new space which attacking players can take advantage of. So you hold onto the ball until you feel that enough space has been opened up that you can release the ball into it and start an attack. That is what Ale is always looking to do. That is why stats can reflect quality and quantity. Obviously, as I said, if you don't think Tom Carroll is an intelligent footballer and just wants to look good to the numbers people, you probably would think stats are irrelevant most of the time.
    I very nearly stopped reading this when you used the word 'quality' in the same sentence as Carroll. Why do you always have to be so f*****g patronising? I've been watching this game for a very long time so I do get it that passes move players and create space - the opposition do not move to cover passes across the back four, they let you have it until you threaten or make a mistake. You have completely missed my point about Carroll or anyone else making irrelevant passes yet they count as stats. Ask Derby about stats, especially the one about shots on goal.

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
      Well no, but I understand that if you don't look at stats you won't respect the quality of players like Tom Carroll, which far too many people don't. People suggest that players like him or Faurlin can be passengers to games when in fact, they are the pilots. They force the ball to move and force the opposition to move.
      Here's something for you to know, when a player makes a pass, the opposition move to cover. This means that at least 1 player is now out of position. Think about it, every single pass played forces one player out of their designated position, because no team in the world (least of all in the Championship) is organised like that, or intelligent enough to maintain their shape. So even a back pass, a sideways pass, a simple two or three yard pass is vital in breaking down teams. So every single pass and move that faurlin plays is vital in opening up space for players ahead of him.
      So the suggestion that anyone who spends a lot of time playing the ball back is making no progress is ludicrous and unfounded. What they are doing is opening more space for themselves when they are under pressure, or opening new gaps when they see movement from the opposition. So yes, the majority of those 70 passes were good, because they created space, as all passes do. Secondly, for someone to hold onto the ball for almost 9 minutes of play is a scarily impressive amount of time. But again, if you don't see the point in backwards passes, you probably won't see the point in opening up and holding the ball. Just the basics of him holding the ball, as our most talented ball player, he can generally get the ball away to players easily. If other players are closing him down, it creates new space which attacking players can take advantage of. So you hold onto the ball until you feel that enough space has been opened up that you can release the ball into it and start an attack. That is what Ale is always looking to do. That is why stats can reflect quality and quantity. Obviously, as I said, if you don't think Tom Carroll is an intelligent footballer and just wants to look good to the numbers people, you probably would think stats are irrelevant most of the time.
      You've never really played football have u Nas? Not having a go, but it seems ur understanding of the game is one like rob styles, never really played the game so cant fully understand it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Floyd Rabbit View Post
        Stats stats stats

If JFH won his first game then resigned would he be QPR's most successful manager then, as he'd STATISTICALLY be our most successful manager with a 100% win ratio?!!!

Stats mean fuuuuuuk all. Your eyes & brain will give you the answers you need. Poxy fuuukin stats yawn
        I do agree.

Comment

Originally posted by MattyRangers View Post
          We're all splitting atoms here and it's pointless and tedious. We all have our own opinions on who farked up when etc, but the bottom line is we were $HIT today and have been for a while.
          This

Originally posted by Jimmy Floyd Rabbit View Post
          Stats stats stats

If JFH won his first game then resigned would he be QPR's most successful manager then, as he'd STATISTICALLY be our most successful manager with a 100% win ratio?!!!

Stats mean fuuuuuuk all. Your eyes & brain will give you the answers you need. Poxy fuuukin stats yawn
          And this.

With bells and whistles on.

Comment

Originally posted by bakes8 View Post
            You've never really played football have u Nas? Not having a go, but it seems ur understanding of the game is one like rob styles, never really played the game so cant fully understand it.
            Spot on. His intentions are fine but he hasn't got a scooby
            I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

Despite playing really badly, Polters one moment of genius got us a goal...surely a positive?

Comment

I enjoyed that match and thought we were okay and was distraught when clarity green lost us another goal/game.

Comment

Jimmy didn't play Tozzer. That's a positive for me - shows me that compared to Ramsey, he's worked out from one game that Tozzer's not a solution (assuming he doesn't start him again of course). Another positive is Polter's goal. He was cast aside under Ramsey, great to see him getting his chance. And if Charlie's going to leave, this is exactly the thinking we need.

This is how I see it: Jimmy's walked into a hell of a role - the team's a shambles, confidence low, an air of uncertainty hangs over the club. Whether it's a cliché or not, JFH needs time. We've got to forget play-off contention and all the toys-out moaning and wailing about that and simply focus on the restructuring of the squad and playing style. This is simply not going to happen overnight. And quite often - another cliché but true - things get worse before they get better. Jimmy has to find his team, and the players that work for him. So, despite it being in very short supply, I think patience is required.

Comment

Well said hubble, I've finally told myself to forget the play offs and if a miracle does happen then sweet. Just going to watch us and see JFH try and build us and be ready for next season.

Comment

• H
                      Originally posted by Hubble View Post
                      Jimmy didn't play Tozzer. That's a positive for me - shows me that compared to Ramsey, he's worked out from one game that Tozzer's not a solution (assuming he doesn't start him again of course). Another positive is Polter's goal. He was cast aside under Ramsey, great to see him getting his chance. And if Charlie's going to leave, this is exactly the thinking we need.

This is how I see it: Jimmy's walked into a hell of a role - the team's a shambles, confidence low, an air of uncertainty hangs over the club. Whether it's a cliché or not, JFH needs time. We've got to forget play-off contention and all the toys-out moaning and wailing about that and simply focus on the restructuring of the squad and playing style. This is simply not going to happen overnight. And quite often - another cliché but true - things get worse before they get better. Jimmy has to find his team, and the players that work for him. So, despite it being in very short supply, I think patience is required.
                      But he does still consistently play Fer, who has been worse than useless. I also think confidence had started to improve under warnock.

Comment

• That might be the last we see of Green?

Comment

Working...
                        X