Where will QPR finish in 2015/16?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
    It was certainly not a miracle that we did as well as we did and arguably, without the injury to our goalscorer, we would have been in the autos. Quality beats 90% of the teams in this league, the other 10% need a bit of graft but quality is always the difference.
    I agree with you naseer and we missed Phillips for half the season too. With both of them I am certain we would of been top 2.
    The key part people are under estimating Us is our defence. There's not many teams in this league with a back 5 of green/McCarthy, yun, caulker, ned... If they stay fit we I believe we won't let too many goals in. Then it's about breaking down the other team.
    We finally have some creativity in jet, luongo, gladwin, faurlin who can open defences and tbf Mackies persistents will create chances.
    If poster can hit the ground running which is a IF without question and we either keep Austin which is unlikely or at least replace him with some decent calibre we will be right up there.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
      Get what you're saying nasser, but this time around we wont have Austins goals to save us imho!.... to stand any chance of a top 10 finish we need to replace the obvious outgoings (Austin/Fer/Phillips/Sandro) with players who are 'at least' proven at this level imo.

Think ive just re-worded a previous post..... oh well!!
      The thing is, of those 4 players, only 2 were here when we last got promoted and more to the point, Phillips missed most of the season anyways. Look at the squad back then relative to what we have now and you can see that we have a better squad (Even without those 4 (bar Austin, but think that 2 strikers will be able to be equivalent to him and Zamora/Doyle))

GK, we have McCarthy and Green which is obvs better than Green and Murphy; Defense, we need a RB to be the equivalent of Danny Simpson, Onuoha and Caulker are as good as Onuoha and Dunne at the time IMO (as long as caulker cuts out the mistakes, a tough ask), Yun was here back then and is better than BAE. In Midfield, We played a 4 man midfield, so Hoilett/Kranjcar, Henry/Carroll, Barton and Phillips IMO can be matched by our current midfield for depth and potentially quality (We need more time to see Luongo but think he will step up well) with Luongo, Diakite, Faurlin (If he stays fit he is better than anyone in that old midfield), Henry, Doughty. In attack, assuming we play a 433, those 2 wide players will be goalscorers with the striker, and until Austin leaves (if he does) we won't be seeing a pure striker sign other than polter IMO. Having an attacking trio of Polter, JET and Mackie/Gladwin definitely seems to have as many goals in it as Austin Zamora. So I honestly think there is more to us than that time and think we can do really well in this league at the moment, even without those 4.
      "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by maidstone_hoop View Post
        I agree with you naseer and we missed Phillips for half the season too. With both of them I am certain we would of been top 2.
        The key part people are under estimating Us is our defence. There's not many teams in this league with a back 5 of green/McCarthy, yun, caulker, ned... If they stay fit we I believe we won't let too many goals in. Then it's about breaking down the other team.
        We finally have some creativity in jet, luongo, gladwin, faurlin who can open defences and tbf Mackies persistents will create chances.
        If poster can hit the ground running which is a IF without question and we either keep Austin which is unlikely or at least replace him with some decent calibre we will be right up there.
        Its gonna look like I copied you but it actually took me 5 mins to type mine up so I didn't get to see yours but the points are the same and bring about the same point, we are better prepared now than we were before.
        "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

The thing is, of those 4 players, only 2 were here when we last got promoted and more to the point, Phillips missed most of the season anyways. Look at the squad back then relative to what we have now and you can see that we have a better squad (Even without those 4 (bar Austin, but think that 2 strikers will be able to be equivalent to him and Zamora/Doyle))

GK, we have McCarthy and Green which is obvs better than Green and Murphy; Defense, we need a RB to be the equivalent of Danny Simpson, Onuoha and Caulker are as good as Onuoha and Dunne at the time IMO (as long as caulker cuts out the mistakes, a tough ask), Yun was here back then and is better than BAE. In Midfield, We played a 4 man midfield, so Hoilett/Kranjcar, Henry/Carroll, Barton and Phillips IMO can be matched by our current midfield for depth and potentially quality (We need more time to see Luongo but think he will step up well) with Luongo, Diakite, Faurlin (If he stays fit he is better than anyone in that old midfield), Henry, Doughty. In attack, assuming we play a 433, those 2 wide players will be goalscorers with the striker, and until Austin leaves (if he does) we won't be seeing a pure striker sign other than polter IMO. Having an attacking trio of Polter, JET and Mackie/Gladwin definitely seems to have as many goals in it as Austin Zamora. So I honestly think there is more to us than that time and think we can do really well in this league at the moment, even without those 4.
          But thats my point mate. In terrms of the starting 11, we were pi$$ poor most weeks, but we always had that cusion of Austins goals to fall back on..... This time around we wont (unless 1 of the newbies turns out to be a bit of a goal machine which I doubt or we spend a bit of money on a provern goal scorer)..... This season we've already signed a handfull of unproven players, who at this stage I wont be telying on. Faurlin, how long unil he gets injuered?, Diakite, sorry but I just cant rely on him..... I know I sound really negative but thats honestly how I see it. Just really think unless we make some quality signings we could really struggle. Dont get me wrong Im far from panicking as I still think theres plenty of time. But 'at this exact moment' we will struggle imho.
          SIR LESLIE FERDINAND!!

Comment

But thats my point mate. In terrms of the starting 11, we were pi$$ poor most weeks, but we always had that cusion of Austins goals to fall back on..... This time around we wont (unless 1 of the newbies turns out to be a bit of a goal machine which I doubt or we spend a bit of money on a provern goal scorer)..... This season we've already signed a handfull of unproven players, who at this stage I wont be telying on. Faurlin, how long unil he gets injuered?, Diakite, sorry but I just cant rely on him..... I know I sound really negative but thats honestly how I see it. Just really think unless we make some quality signings we could really struggle. Dont get me wrong Im far from panicking as I still think theres plenty of time. But 'at this exact moment' we will struggle imho.
            I think you missed my point that we only had one goalscorer at the time because of the setup but now we are playing an attacking side it seems, with wide players who contribute to the final third play more regularly.

Comment

I think you missed my point that we only had one goalscorer at the time because of the setup but now we are playing an attacking side it seems, with wide players who contribute to the final third play more regularly.
              Thats true. 1 thing we have this season is attacking players which will give us opptions going forward..... but how reliable are our new signings? So far (Mackie aside) all our signings are completely unproven. Also we have a couple of players who are alredy here who still hold lots of question marks over- Faurlin/Diakite. Aswell as our youth who will also be given a chance.

Dont get me wrong im all for young hungry players (Ive been crying out for it long enough), my only concern is if we flood our side with them it'll do more harm than good. Think we need to find a happy medium where we sign the odd quality player whos had at least a minium experience in the Championship..... And tbf thats what Im holding out hope for. That the money made on Austin/Fer/Phillips/Sandro is used to bring in some quality
              SIR LESLIE FERDINAND!!

Comment

Thats true. 1 thing we have this season is attacking players which will give us opptions going forward..... but how reliable are our new signings? So far (Mackie aside) all our signings are completely unproven. Also we have a couple of players who are alredy here who still hold lots of question marks over- Faurlin/Diakite. Aswell as our youth who will also be given a chance.

Dont get me wrong im all for young hungry players (Ive been crying out for it long enough), my only concern is if we flood our side with them it'll do more harm than good. Think we need to find a happy medium where we sign the odd quality player whos had at least a minium experience in the Championship..... And tbf thats what Im holding out hope for. That the money made on Austin/Fer/Phillips/Sandro is used to bring in some quality
                Atm nick your right in a sense as our midfield is a unknown quantity. Diakate and faurlin on paper could be the best cm partnership in the league but we all known that's not straight forward and both have their issues.

Got to say from previous seasons of league 1 teams coming up and not massively changing their teams and doing very well in the championship I'm confident luongo and gladwin will make the step up comfortably. I think both were in the league 1 tea of the year.

I think our strength is at the back and if we get another striker in or keep Charlie in we potentially could have a very good season. I don't see us being weaker than the year we went up when we missed Charlie and Phillips for a considerable amount of the season. I'd argue we already have more creativity in midfield and easily as good as if not better defence which I believe was the best in the division bar bunrleys in the end.

Lots to be optimistic about I think. Think a lot ofeople still bitter about last years ,es and can't quite gage we aren't splashing millions and millions but club going in the right direction with a pretty decent squad being assembled with more in comings on the horizon.

Last edited by maidstone_hoop; 13-07-2015, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by maidstone_hoop View Post
                  Atm nick your right in a sense as our midfield is a unknown quantity. Diakate and faurlin on paper could be the best cm partnership in the league but we all known that's not straight forward and both have their issues.

Got to say from previous seasons of league 1 teams coming up and not massively changing their teams and doing very well in the championship I'm confident luongo and gladwin will make the step up comfortably. I think both were in the league 1 tea of the year.

I think our strength is at the back and if we get another striker in or keep Charlie in we potentially could have a very good season. I don't see us being weaker than the year we went up when we missed Charlie and Phillips for a considerable amount of the season. I'd argue we already have more creativity in midfield and easily as good as if not better defence which I believe was the best in the division bar bunrleys in the end.

Lots to be optimistic about I think. Think a lot ofeople still bitter about last years ,es and can't quite gage we aren't splashing millions and millions but club going in the right direction with a pretty decent squad being assembled with more in comings on the horizon.

Oh maids Im more than happy with the direction the clubs going in. Love the fact Les is our DOF and think so far he's doing a blinding job. Reckon any other year at least 1 possible 2 of Austin, Phillips or Fer wouldve gone by now, but think Les has got the right under control. And like I said before Im also really happy with the young hungry signings. I just think we need that bit of quality to bulk out an overal very inexperience side..... Agree with you about our stengh at the back though mate. Reckon Ned and Caulker could really dominate that CB position and also believe Yun will play a big part and is more than capable in the Championship.....
                  SIR LESLIE FERDINAND!!

Comment

No one has any idea what our squad will look like after the window closes so making predictions and dismissing other peoples is somewhat pointless. Most of the new signings are not experienced at this level and we dont know who will be going so to base our promotion on the fact our current squad is better than the squad that got promoted 2 years ago is grasping at straws. Im fairly optimistic for next season, mainly because I like to approach most seasons with optimism (although under HR I was admittedly less than normal) and feel/hope we will replace the outgoing ones with some championship quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Hove Ranger View Post
                      No one has any idea what our squad will look like after the window closes so making predictions and dismissing other peoples is somewhat pointless. Most of the new signings are not experienced at this level and we dont know who will be going so to base our promotion on the fact our current squad is better than the squad that got promoted 2 years ago is grasping at straws. Im fairly optimistic for next season, mainly because I like to approach most seasons with optimism (although under HR I was admittedly less than normal) and feel/hope we will replace the outgoing ones with some championship quality.
                      Ok....who introduced sensible posting while I was away..

Comment

Oh maids Im more than happy with the direction the clubs going in. Love the fact Les is our DOF and think so far he's doing a blinding job. Reckon any other year at least 1 possible 2 of Austin, Phillips or Fer wouldve gone by now, but think Les has got the right under control. And like I said before Im also really happy with the young hungry signings. I just think we need that bit of quality to bulk out an overal very inexperience side..... Agree with you about our stengh at the back though mate. Reckon Ned and Caulker could really dominate that CB position and also believe Yun will play a big part and is more than capable in the Championship.....
                        Main thing mate as you said is the progress being made of the pitch. As much as I'm confident we will compete if we finish mid table it certainly won't be the end of the world. The fact we are building for the future and hopefully a better #### a prem league retention is the main thing.
                        Also agree with what hove is saying. It's still quite hard to predict with the squad far from being decided.

Comment

52 people vote 7th-12th and then are shocked we lose our opening game and slate the manager.

Remember how you voted and bear that in mind when you post

Comment

Originally posted by Awin View Post
                            52 people vote 7th-12th and then are shocked we lose our opening game and slate the manager.

Remember how you voted and bear that in mind when you post
                            Is strange how those with such strong hatred views towards our manager havnt poted a single thing he done wrong on the 'Chris Ramsey' thread......
                            SIR LESLIE FERDINAND!!

Comment

Did you see the Match thread come to life with the realists as soon as it was clear we were going to lose! Wasn't a soul about when we flying first half

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Mcleod View Post
                                Did you see the Match thread come to life with the realists as soon as it was clear we were going to lose! Wasn't a soul about when we flying first half
                                Flying??....Flying at 0-0?.....Edited this post ....ashamed of my reply
                                Last edited by QPRDave; 08-09-2015, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X