No announcement yet.

Europe. In or out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Osborne says that house prices would go down 18% if we leave the EU. Why is this a bad thing?

Comment

• Originally posted by jmelanie View Post
      George Osborne says that house prices would go down 18% if we leave the EU. Why is this a bad thing?
      He also said we would suffer crippling inflation, so so who we would have inflation a deflation all at the same time.
      The man is an idiot who I wouldn't let fill in my tax returns, never mind run the countries finacies

Comment

• Originally posted by gaza09 View Post
        He also said we would suffer crippling inflation, so so who we would have inflation a deflation all at the same time.
        The man is an idiot who I wouldn't let fill in my tax returns, never mind run the countries finacies
        It is possible, biflation.

Comment

George Osborne says that house prices would go down 18% if we leave the EU. Why is this a bad thing?
          House prices will go down to rubble, and pensions will go down to zero, because we'll all be dead after WW3. And anyone that's left will die of starvation because there will be no jobs to buy food.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greengrass View Post
            House prices will go down to rubble, and pensions will go down to zero, because we'll all be dead after WW3. And anyone that's left will die of starvation because there will be no jobs to buy food.
            Yes but apart from that, what's the advantages of staying in the EU ?
            “He'll regret it till his dying day, if ever he lives that long”
            Will Danaher

Comment

Because then the majority of people will be in negative equity and be stuck.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ramsey is god View Post
                Only people who bought recently because house prices (especially in London) have gone up about 18% in the last couple of years. In Central London a lot of houses/apartments have been sold to foreign consortiums. This will change a bit in any case due to the new regulations for renting and second homes.

Comment

*insert* that own property.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hove Ranger View Post
                    *insert* that own property.
                    would have thought that was obvious given the subject.....

Jmel - i get what you are saying, not sure house prices rising 18% in the last couple of years is true. OK house prices falling will allow more 1st time buyers onto the ladder, But that will never be good news for the people who own houses.

I think house prices will eventually drop, albeit it at a slower gradual rate whether we are in or out of the EU though tbh

Comment

• The case for house prices, as with most things monetary, is unproven on both sides.
                      As Melanie says, unless you've bought recently, there's every chance there's enough equity in your property to counter balance any drop, if it happened. Not only that, negative equity only becomes a problem if you need to sell or borrow against your property.
                      Will Danaher

Comment

would have thought that was obvious given the subject.....

Jmel - i get what you are saying, not sure house prices rising 18% in the last couple of years is true. OK house prices falling will allow more 1st time buyers onto the ladder, But that will never be good news for the people who own houses.

I think house prices will eventually drop, albeit it at a slower gradual rate whether we are in or out of the EU though tbh
                        There's a difference between majority of people and the majority of people that own property. Thats all
                        Last edited by Hove Ranger; 27-05-2016, 11:00 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hove Ranger View Post
                          There's a difference between majority of people and the majority of people that own property. Thats all

Comment

• Originally posted by Itsonlyagame View Post
                            The case for house prices, as with most things monetary, is unproven on both sides.
                            As Melanie says, unless you've bought recently, there's every chance there's enough equity in your property to counter balance any drop, if it happened. Not only that, negative equity only becomes a problem if you need to sell or borrow against your property.
                            what you own, all of a sudden becomes worth less. Would have thought thats a problem for everyone who owns a property.

Either way, like i said, i dont actually think being in or out of the EU is going to have an effect on this.

Comment

what you own, all of a sudden becomes worth less. Would have thought thats a problem for everyone who owns a property.

Either way, like i said, i dont actually think being in or out of the EU is going to have an effect on this.
                              I own a property and just as I dont tend to get too exited by the rises, I couldn't care less what's it's worth the day after we leave the EU unless interest rates shoot up, I can't pay the mortgage and needed to sell it.
                              Not only that, people on the property ladder generally try to move up. If there's a blanket drop in prices the house they would be aspiring to would drop as well, so it's all relative.
                              Will Danaher

Comment

• There is no chance the vote will ever be for out though is there? No chance whatsoever ..??

Comment

Working...
                                X