Harry - the managerial equivalent of Bosingwa, Cisse, SWP, Park etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Geng View Post
    Well, we thought we were taking the low-risk option in summer by bringing in lots of experienced high-level players, and it turned out they don't give two shytes about QPR.

Does the same risk not apply to bringing in an experienced manager who's career has already peaked?

If not, why not?
    Who thought we were taking the low-risk option??? Buying OAPs as a front line was never low risk - it was always high-risk.

As for other signings, we have got some good players and they are not playing anywhere near their potential - that has to be down to the manager.

You cannot compare managers with players in the way you are. Players get slower and more injury prone with age...when was the last time you saw Sir Alex out for 3 months with an injury??

Sorry, but your justification for a young manager needs to come from somewhere other than a comparison with players.
    twitter @silvercue

soundcloud

Comment

im

quite happy to accept that i started the harry redknapp thing since game four i have harped on about him,the reason why i love redknapp is because he reminds me of holloway and warnock he is an old battle axe.

managers like clough,shankly,holloway,warnock and redknapp are a fast disapearing breed we are getting bombarded by the new wilkins ,mark hughes trash these guys dont know the meaning of management,everybody expected hughes to keep his two front players consistant as cisse and zamora but he has thrown away that chance and in doing so has cost us many points he must go hes useless
      Click here to view my blog.

More...

Comment

Of course you can compare the two. Managers' ideas become outdated, they don't keep up with the latest training method, they lose the ability to connect with a younger generation of players, and so on. Dave Bassett for manager, anyone? Joe Kinnear? ...Paul Hart?

Ferguson is an exception. Most managers don't have that longevity, just as most players don't maintain their ability as long as Giggs, Scholes, or Maldini.

Comment

Originally posted by silvercue View Post
          Who thought we were taking the low-risk option??? Buying OAPs as a front line was never low risk - it was always high-risk.
          I'm fairly sure most would have seen buying the likes of Zamora as a low-risk option, compared to taking a punt on unknowns from abroad or the Championship. There's no such thing as a zero-risk option in football, of course, so obviously Zamora etc still represented a risk.

Comment

I'm fairly sure most would have seen buying the likes of Zamora as a low-risk option, compared to taking a punt on unknowns from abroad or the Championship. There's no such thing as a zero-risk option in football, of course, so obviously Zamora etc still represented a risk.
            If there is anyone on this board that thought having a front line of old men with injury AND form issues, backed up only by JM, was low risk then I would be amazed. Actually I wouldn't, judging by some of the garbage on here. But to suggest most intelligent people would have thought it low risk, then I disagree with you 100%. In fact I remember threads discussing it at the time.

If you are saying you thought it was low risk I will just say I don't think you understand risk then.
            twitter @silvercue

soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by silvercue View Post
              If there is anyone on this board that thought having a front line of old men with injury AND form issues, backed up only by JM, was low risk then I would be amazed. Actually I wouldn't, judging by some of the garbage on here. But to suggest most intelligent people would have thought it low risk, then I disagree with you 100%. In fact I remember threads discussing it at the time.

If you are saying you thought it was low risk I will just say I don't think you understand risk then.
              Lot of 20:20 hindsight here. So what would have been a low risk approach then?

The clamour throughout the last couple of years was for a "proven premier league goalscorer", and we ended up with Cisse and Zamora, two players with decent top flight records.

Had we bought, say, Kone (who went to Wigan) and Michu (Swansea), I doubt anyone would have seen that as the low risk option, compared to the people we did sign.

Comment

I'm sort of playing devil's advocate here anyway, as I would have actually preferred us to buy the likes of Kone, Michu etc.

The original point was simply to say that our policy of buying premier experience was seen as a less risky option than importing unknowns. I really don't think that is a controversial point.

Comment

I'm sort of playing devil's advocate here anyway, as I would have actually preferred us to buy the likes of Kone, Michu etc.

The original point was simply to say that our policy of buying premier experience was seen as a less risky option than importing unknowns. I really don't think that is a controversial point.
                  Trouble is mate, this Premier League experience nonsense is just a myth, in my opinion.

Doesn't matter how much experience one has had or where they have had it, if they are old, slow, always been over rated by poor managers, have absolutely no ambition, fight or desire to succeed and interested only in the sum of money entering their bank accounts on a monthly basis.

Hence why the managerial merry-go-round exists. Chairmen thinking people like Paul Jewell are the answer to their problems and when it all goes #### up, get in the next manager responsible for a recent relegation.

With regards to Harry, hardly going to be busting a gut to improve his managerial record and therefore, future prospects, is he?

Comment

I can't remember anyone getting annoyed we missed out on Michu and Kone, yet I remember people creaming themselves over Cisse and Zamora

Comment

Originally posted by theblackmafia. View Post
                      I can't remember anyone getting annoyed we missed out on Michu and Kone, yet I remember people creaming themselves over Cisse and Zamora
                      Cisse was a good signing - it's a shame MH can't get anyone to play for him. Zamora? Who creamed themselves over that?
                      twitter @silvercue

soundcloud

Comment

Think Zamora been getting a rough ride, if he's been playing with an injury which it seems he has then it's going to affect your performances. What's everyone else's excuse?

Comment

Originally posted by Will M View Post
                          Think Zamora been getting a rough ride, if he's been playing with an injury which it seems he has then it's going to affect your performances. What's everyone else's excuse?
                          Agreed and also it could affect your mood, which is why he has been saying the strange things he is supposed to have said.

The only thing I find strange is that he has obviously been suffering ever since he came to the Club, so why didn't it show up at the medical he had when he joined?

Comment

Originally posted by janemelanie View Post
                            Agreed and also it could affect your mood, which is why he has been saying the strange things he is supposed to have said.
                            It's indeed strange, but if you play through pain to play the game you must love it a little surely?

Comment

Originally posted by janemelanie View Post
                              The only thing I find strange is that he has obviously been suffering ever since he came to the Club, so why didn't it show up at the medical he had when he joined?
                              Now where have we heard that before ?

Comment

Originally posted by brightonr View Post
                                Now where have we heard that before ?
                                Maybe that's why Junior Hoilett had so many medicals?

Comment

Working...
                                X