No announcement yet.

Derry verdict

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For a premier league referee to blow his whistle for a penalty and subsequent red card is a game-changing decision. We can all agree on that, right?

Lee Mason blew his whistle for that without a second's hesitation, not allowing himself time to even consider it or at least consult his assistant. We can all agree on that too because millions witnessed it.

We can only assume that he took that decision because from his angle he concluded that Derry had tripped Young, when clearly he had not.

The laws of the game state that to make such a major decision he needs to have 100% no doubt that he is correct in making that call.

If there is just 1% doubt in his mind he must consult his assistant for a 2nd opinion.

Those are rules of the game. The facts demonstrate that he failed to implement them so the card should therefore rescinded.
    Last edited by Stanley; 10-04-2012, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by maverick69 View Post
      I think it will be overturned because the FA do not need to undermine the ref (which they are always reluctant to do - no matter how poor the respective decision) - they can simply go with the offside perspective.
      The thing is it's not the offside that's been appealed. I think they'll treat that as a separate phase of play, incorrect or not

I fear there was enough contact on Young's shirt/side for them to let the ref's decision stand.

Hope I'm wrong though, and the profile of the case may force their hand a bit in our favour.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley76 View Post
        For a premier league referee to blow his whistle for a penalty and subsequent red card is a game-changing decision. We can all agree on that, right?

Lee Mason blew his whistle for that without a second's hesitation, not allowing himself time to even consider it or at least consult his assistant. We can all agree on that too because millions witnessed it.

We can only assume that he took that decision because from his angle he concluded that Derry had tripped Young, when clearly he had not.

The laws of the game state that to make such a major decision he needs to have 100% no doubt that he is correct in making that call.

If there is just 1% doubt in his mind he must consult his assistant for a 2nd opinion.

Those are rules of the game. The facts demonstrate that he failed to implement them so the card should therefore rescinded.
        And the clown making the decision should also be banished to the Conference for a number of games equal to the ban attributable to the card shown. The linesman also should never be allowed to hold a flag again, until or unless he goes on an offside awareness course similar to the speed awareness course you have to attend when you get nicked for speeding
        #standuptocancer
        #inyourfacecancer

Comment

100% agree

Originally posted by DeepcutHoop View Post
          The thing is it's not the offside that's been appealed. I think they'll treat that as a separate phase of play, incorrect or not

I fear there was enough contact on Young's shirt/side for them to let the ref's decision stand.

Hope I'm wrong though, and the profile of the case may force their hand a bit in our favour.
          Thing is with that Deepcut is, he (mason) can't possibly have seen the hand on Young as it was on the opposite side from him, so unless the lino told him this, which we know he didn't then this decision is bordering on corruption imo.
          Didn't Danny Graham score v us after handballing the ball, but we were told the ref couldn't give it because he couldn't physically see it.

Comment

As much chance of getting it recinded as Barton's. Millions saw there was nothing in that, but he still got done.

At least everyone will see that the FA have an agenda against us.

Will be so gutting for them when we stay up.

Comment

I was under the impression that it is a blanket "unfair dismissal" appeal - which would start at the point that the ball left the boot of Roonie.

Comment

Originally posted by maverick69 View Post
                I was under the impression that it is a blanket "unfair dismissal" appeal - which would start at the point that the ball left the boot of Roonie.
                I hope that's the case. Easy decision if so.

Comment

I hope that's the case. Easy decision if so.
                  That's why I'm positive. The FA can appease the vast majority opinion with a black and white decision.

Comment

Won't be overturned - they will argue that he was the last man and he denied a clear goalscoring opportunity. They are not debating the severity of the foul.
                    :drunk:

Comment

A few words from a qualified ref here...

First off, let's get it right, the laws of football do not make any mention of the referee having to consult with the assistant ref (or anyone else).

The law in question here is Law 12, Fouls and Misconduct.

Specifically:

"A player can be sent off and shown a red card if he....

denies an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to a opponent moving towards the player's goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or penalty kick"

So there is a basis for appeal here - was Young moving towards the goal ?

If No - then this is basis for appeal.
                      If Yes - then the question can be asked if he was coming from an "active" off-side position, should the play have been stopped for the off-side?

Alex Ferguson's comments about "the lad being a yard off-side" might be useful to QPR here.

I don't think there's much mileage in trying to argue that he was not tripped, or held; these matters used to be termed "in the opinion of the referee" and you cannot present an argument against an opinion.

BTW, a sanction for a dismissal for denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity is a one-match ban, not a three match ban.

Comment

Originally posted by kingy10 View Post
                        Won't be overturned - they will argue that he was the last man and he denied a clear goalscoring opportunity. They are not debating the severity of the foul.
                        How did he deny a clear goalscoring chance if AY dived? So not making it a foul.

Comment

Spot on!
                          F*CK OFF CHELSEA WEST LONDON IS OURS!

Comment

Originally posted by Pal View Post
                            As much chance of getting it recinded as Barton's. Millions saw there was nothing in that, but he still got done.

At least everyone will see that the FA have an agenda against us.

Will be so gutting for them when we stay up.
                            A little different IMO:

1) It wasn't an actual head-butt but Barton's head moved into Johnson so by the letter of the law it was a sending off, ridiculous as it seemed.

2) Unfortunately JB's reputation precedes him.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebel R's View Post
                              There is no agenda against us,just been unlucky with crap refs and linesmen but other teams have been affected as well

It obviously does excist an agenda against us.
                              I have seen enough of our matches to more than believe so.:sorry:
                              QPR
                              Best team in the world
                              Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by MaidstoneR View Post
                                A few words from a qualified ref here...

First off, let's get it right, the laws of football do not make any mention of the referee having to consult with the assistant ref (or anyone else).

The law in question here is Law 12, Fouls and Misconduct.

Specifically:

"A player can be sent off and shown a red card if he....

denies an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to a opponent moving towards the player's goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or penalty kick"

So there is a basis for appeal here - was Young moving towards the goal ?

If No - then this is basis for appeal.
                                If Yes - then the question can be asked if he was coming from an "active" off-side position, should the play have been stopped for the off-side?

Alex Ferguson's comments about "the lad being a yard off-side" might be useful to QPR here.

I don't think there's much mileage in trying to argue that he was not tripped, or held; these matters used to be termed "in the opinion of the referee" and you cannot present an argument against an opinion.

BTW, a sanction for a dismissal for denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity is a one-match ban, not a three match ban.
                                Maidstone can a ref give a handball,push,punch whatever if he pysically can't see the incident?
                                I do agree and think your point about the ref's opinion is correct, and one of the biggest probs in the game

Comment

Working...
                                X