Is matt Connolly wasted at left back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by paulmason View Post
    W12_Ranger - The question was "Is matt Connolly wasted at left back?" not who is good.

I think Connolly is wasted on the left and I also think Vine on the left and Buzz on the right is a waste of time as well, especially when you have better options in Taarabat and Routledge.
    We all know the answer to this question, it is so obvious it is pointless asking it. Fact of the matter is, it's where he'll be playing come the start of the season. The lad will have to be patient and wait for his chance to fill Stewarts boots.

And Paulmason if you go round making statements such as 'Connolly is our best defender by a mile' expect a response as this is a forum, other wise answer the question directly.

I merely pointed out to you Connolly is not our best defender by a mile and justifed my answer.

Comment

Wozza very good post.
      I have played over 20 years in that position and it is not difficult to realise that Connelly and Gorkks should be playing in the middle. It is important to leave them alone so they can build an understanding like Rio and Vidic built up. We would be crazy not to sign a left back and I think the manager realises this. Also I too think Vine and Buzz should play in the middle as they would be a great spine for the team. I think routledge and Tarrabt are natural wingers and should be played in those positions. W12 normally does post good stuff but he has it wrong on this occassion but doesn't deserve to be shot. He has an arrogance which I actually like and think he should be allowed to express an opinion
      I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

EDIT SORRY
        W12_Ranger - When did I say that 'Connolly is our best defender by a mile' ??
        Last edited by paulmason; 27-07-2009, 03:45 PM.

Comment

I don't know have u deleted it?
          I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

Originally posted by BennyBoyRs View Post
            That's utter crap.

He's being put there as the other two CANNOT play there.

Connolly is very versatile but is far greater used as a CB. He's our best option there just ahead of Gorkss.

He is put there because we don't have a decent left back and can't get ahead of Stewart and Gorkks in the starting 11 at CB. Those are the facts, if we had a decent LB he'd be RB or most probably on the bench.

Personally I would prefer Connolly over Stewart but the fact remains he isn't there....yes he is wasted at Left back but he is better in the team than not.

So stop talking ****** as the other 2 would never be made play in Full Back positions in the first place. Yes Connolly is versatile but its not the reason why he asked to play LB over CB is it.
            Last edited by W12_Ranger; 27-07-2009, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by paulmason View Post
              EDIT SORRY
              W12_Ranger - When did I say that 'Connolly is our best defender by a mile' ??
              Sorry my mistake mate, I have just ben moved to a new office and have a tiny little window opened here.

It was meant for the member who started the thread.

Comment

That's utter crap.

He's being put there as the other two CANNOT play there.

Connolly is very versatile but is far greater used as a CB. He's our best option there just ahead of Gorkss.
                Spot on could agree more
                "The New Era"

Been there, done that, got the Ledesma t-shirt!

Comment

Originally posted by wozzawears21 View Post
                  Absolute rubbish. Gorkks our best defender? not a chance. Matt is by far the best defender at the club and is being unfairly treated getting pushed from pillar to post. I get the impression from Matt that he would play anywhere as long as hes playing but his best position is centre half alongside Gorkks.

Dont get me wrong Gorkks is good but hes got nothing on Matt defensivley or in a footballing sence. Im not even going to mention Stewart in the same vain as him because thats just an insult.
                  Can anyone hear that?...............

Its the truth! Spot on, great post!
                  "The New Era"

Comment

Originally posted by wozzawears21 View Post
                    Absolute rubbish. Gorkks our best defender? not a chance. Matt is by far the best defender at the club and is being unfairly treated getting pushed from pillar to post. I get the impression from Matt that he would play anywhere as long as hes playing but his best position is centre half alongside Gorkks.

Dont get me wrong Gorkks is good but hes got nothing on Matt defensivley or in a footballing sence. Im not even going to mention Stewart in the same vain as him because thats just an insult.
                    Gorkks is an oustanding defender at this level, first name on the team sheet for me. Connolly will go onto be a geat player but defensively he is not better than Kaspar yet.

The man is as good with the ball at his feet as Connolly, maybe a little less mobile than Connolly but in the air on his day no other defender comes close to him in the CCC. Key player this year for me, Kaspar Gorkks is the mortar which hold our defensve wall together not Connolly I'm afraid.

As I said before Connolly must take the chance to fill Stewarts boots when it arises.

Comment

Well we do have a manager that is known for playing players out of position, so why are you so surprised?

Comment

Think Stewart should be polishing matt Connolly's boots if you ask me! Lol

after that interview stewart give when he joined up for gold cup duty he clearly believes in his own hype
                        "The New Era"

Comment

I have been harping on about this for ages. You might as well play me at left back than Connolly, its a total waste of time. SPC also makes a very good point about young matt getting the hump playing there.

In football the only way to success imo is to play the best available player in their natural position. So, if we only have Borrowdale who is a left back he must play.

Comment

Originally posted by W12_Ranger View Post
                            He is put there because we don't have a decent left back and can't get ahead of Stewart and Gorkks in the starting 11 at CB. Those are the facts, if we had a decent LB he'd be RB or most probably on the bench.

Personally I would prefer Connolly over Stewart but the fact remains he isn't there....yes he is wasted at Left back but he is better in the team than not.

So stop talking ****** as the other 2 would never be made play in Full Back positions in the first place. Yes Connolly is versatile but its not the reason why he asked to play LB over CB is it.
                            You do talk crap.

YES...the reason he plays LB IS because the others can't play there and NOTHING else. The other two, especially Stewart get the nod at CB ahead on Matt ONLY because Matt is needed there (at LB) for now. If you honestly believe Stewart is a better CB than Matt, you ought to learn a little more about the whole package needed to be a top defender, so don't be silly and try to contradict others by telling them they're talkng ****** when you're not talking much sense yourself.

As soon as we get an accomplished LB, I'll be any amount of money you can afford that Matt will be one of the two CB's, and even that Gorkss will be his partner. Both Matt and Gorkss have all the necessary attributes needed to be a top CB. Another reason Matt is better than Stewart is his leadership skills. Damo can't make decisions himself whereas if you watch Connolly closely, yuoll notice he's the only one who talks and organises the back line. That is another fact. Trust me, watch him. He'll be club captain for a club one day.
                            Your mum would love me...

Comment

You do talk crap.

YES...the reason he plays LB IS because the others can't play there and NOTHING else. The other two, especially Stewart get the nod at CB ahead on Matt ONLY because Matt is needed there (at LB) for now. If you honestly believe Stewart is a better CB than Matt, you ought to learn a little more about the whole package needed to be a top defender, so don't be silly and try to contradict others by telling them they're talkng ****** when you're not talking much sense yourself.

As soon as we get an accomplished LB, I'll be any amount of money you can afford that Matt will be one of the two CB's, and even that Gorkss will be his partner. Both Matt and Gorkss have all the necessary attributes needed to be a top CB. Another reason Matt is better than Stewart is his leadership skills. Damo can't make decisions himself whereas if you watch Connolly closely, yuoll notice he's the only one who talks and organises the back line. That is another fact. Trust me, watch him. He'll be club captain for a club one day.
                              Wow well done mate what a post!

Great shout saying matt Connolly for captain, he's got all the makings of a great QPR skipper and his all round game is top draw, think giving him the arm band for the start of next season 10/11 and a new extended contract will be a master stroke by the club because I wouldn't be surprised if prem clubs will be watching him this season, him not getting picked for the under 21's this summer was a blessing for us really because looking at the defenders that were picked matt is as good if not better than most of them
                              "The New Era"

Comment

You do talk crap.

Where in thread or ever for that matter have I stated that Stewart is a better defender than Connolly.....come on show me???

I would have Connolly over Stewart any day of the week (I think I have already said that you numpty) but to suggest the reason why Connolly is asked to play left back over Gorkks & Stewart because he is simply a better player is not really that clear cut. One look at the man mountain Stewart or the elegant but powerful physique of Gorkks would suggest that these are 2 players who never in a million years be asked to play as Full Back on a regular basis. Then we look at the slightly more smaller, mobile, versatile and youthful Connolly and to me it becomes apparent why he may be asked to play at FB. Fact of the matter is Gorkks and Stewart are one of the meanest CB partnerships in the divsion, Gorkks improves Stewart as a player and well in fairness despite the great ability of Connolly, Stewart has not done anything to warrant losing his place yet I'm sure he will eventually as his concentration is always questionable

So let me get this right if we sign a LB which I believe we will Connolly will start the first match of the season at CB alongside Gorkks...that is what your saying right?

Maybe you had some privvy information from your good pal QBP, maybe you'd like to share it with the rest off us...come on sunshine what do you know???

But if haven't had any privvy information then it means you know **** all like the rest of us about JM team selection and your second guessing that Connolly would be 1st or 2nd choice CB if we do sign a LB.

Comment

Working...
                                X