No announcement yet.

Frey, am I wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think a lot of the negative comments on here about him are fueled by the penalty miss. It was an awful penalty but he played well overall. I remember one point when the ball came into the box and he hadn't made a run so it went begging but other than that, nothing to complain about. I suppose I've just stated 2 glorious chances to score that didn't end up in the back of net and then said he did ok but I do think he did alright overall.

Comment

Well we always seem to like our number tens, and had many incumbents all performed well over many year and on the night of our greatest ever number ten celebrations of his life ironic again we are still in this position.

Willock, Chair and now Andersen the latest pretenders.

But so few great number nines, my main two , Ferdinand and Austin but in that thirty or forty year period we have excelled with our not so much direct forwards with the style.

Clive Allen was brilliant

Armstrong could massively improve but that is as possible as is not. Frey and Dykes both try hard and at least Frey is another option, where previously we had nine...

Comment

Charlie would have had a hatrick in a game like that.

Comment

Originally posted by topperharley View Post

exactly what I was thinking, look I don't expect him to be anywhere near the player Charlie was but if he had 20% of his finishing quality i'd be happy. He just runs around allot and i'm sorry but this is the championship not your local pub and nothing to do with his penalty , as I am just looking at his end product
          I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

Not during his last stint with us he wouldn't have. He could hardly move. He would have scored the pen though.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post

Not during his last stint with us he wouldn't have. He could hardly move. He would have scored the pen though.
              He still had the instinct. He might not have made for a better, or maybe it would have been a worse team performance, but the man's ability in the box is without question regardless of which stint he was with us.

I guess that's my point, was Frey effective enough as a cog in the team? Even if he'd scored the penalty i'd still wonder what it was he really did. I did not see him make space for others and saw him commit plenty of clusy challenges, and overall look cumbersome in his movement, yes probably all down to lack of game time.

Let's see how he goes. Don't want to play down what was a really good performance by the team and I'm sure my lack of tactical prowess is resposnible for bot appreciating his contribution.

Comment

For sure he is another option which we did need but not sure he has the ability to play up front on his own. Ten out of ten for effort though.

Comment

He still had the instinct. He might not have made for a better, or maybe it would have been a worse team performance, but the man's ability in the box is without question regardless of which stint he was with us.

I guess that's my point, was Frey effective enough as a cog in the team? Even if he'd scored the penalty i'd still wonder what it was he really did. I did not see him make space for others and saw him commit plenty of clusy challenges, and overall look cumbersome in his movement, yes probably all down to lack of game time.

Let's see how he goes. Don't want to play down what was a really good performance by the team and I'm sure my lack of tactical prowess is resposnible for bot appreciating his contribution.
                  What we ideally needed and what we could afford are two different things. I think the club made a big thing about him accepting out wage offer, so I guess he's taken a reduction this season which will be rebalanced next season. I didn't see the game but he hasn't played too many games since he joined. Hopefully his worth will come through in the last ten games. Dykes has had his injury problems and SA still cutting his teeth. Even if he's on a par to Dykes it's another option for us.
                  Last edited by SheepRanger; 08-03-2024, 01:18 PM.

Comment

The whole point of signing him was to put some pressure on the two misfiring, non-scoring poor strikers we have that were virtually guaranteed a game every week.

One thing I will say about him is, he does not stop running and he works his socks off.

I would have him every single day of the week over that Scottish fraud.

I respect the fact he puts it all on the line every game. A couple of goals would be nice, but right now they are elusive.

Comment

agreed - we were significantly worse in the second half when he went off. He is a bully who occupies centre halves has freeing up space for the like of Anderson and Chair - Dykes does not do that

Comment

Originally posted by 3London View Post
                        agreed - we were significantly worse in the second half when he went off. He is a bully who occupies centre halves has freeing up space for the like of Anderson and Chair - Dykes does not do that
                        What does Dykes actually do?

Genuinely one of the worst strikers I’ve ever ever seen watching this club for over 40 years.

Even our worst forwards have offered something.

This guy offers absolutely nothing. No natural instinct, no aggression, doesn’t chase things down and force errors, barely wins a tackle, doesn’t shoot, is always in the wrong position, doesn’t make sensible or smart runs and is genuinely just a waste of a place in that team.

Can’t stand him and I will celebrate the day he leaves.

Comment

I think Frey is a better bet than LD, who has had so many opportunities and generally come up short.
                          Frey has some striker instinct something LD seems sadly lacking in. Frey can also occupy and worry defences, whereas LD doesn't. LD seems a nice lad. Maybe someone needs to get him to be not so nice. (Absolute opposite of a fox in the box).

Comment

Millwall offered £2m for Dykes previously. The same again and he'll be gone and we'll do the money on weekly wages for a free transfer striker which is £12,800 over three seasons. Or, £19,200 a week over two seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by 3London View Post
                              Frey is better than Dykes man to man. It's pretty obvious when this is taken into account, it's likely that's his only job. Sinclair can absolutely do this and take defenders oout of the game with pace, which Frey cannot. If only the mad had a bit more quality to his touches on the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Floyd Rabbit View Post

What does Dykes actually do?

Genuinely one of the worst strikers I’ve ever ever seen watching this club for over 40 years.

Even our worst forwards have offered something.

This guy offers absolutely nothing. No natural instinct, no aggression, doesn’t chase things down and force errors, barely wins a tackle, doesn’t shoot, is always in the wrong position, doesn’t make sensible or smart runs and is genuinely just a waste of a place in that team.

Can’t stand him and I will celebrate the day he leaves.
                                Whilst I agree that dykes isn't a very good striker I still think he has a part to play. Frey is another seb poulter. He is slow and doesn't win much in the air. He's a box player. End of.

Also, some people on here forget that it was dykes who laid on the first goal for chair v Leicester. His run, taking a look up and cross for illy was superb. Something frey wouldn't be able to do. Just saying.

Comment

Working...
                                X