Richards again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richards again

It was very obvious that Marti replacing Ainsworth was very good news to Taylor Richards. I think we all still want to believe there is a good player in there. I think we all thought that Richard will seize the opportunity, forcing his way into the team under Marti, as his style of play seems to match Marti's possession based game.

In the first match under Marti, Richards played 30 min (Rotherham). Under his second match he played 10 min (Bristol City). Against Norwich ans Stoke he was an unused sub. Against PNE he wasn't even in the squad (I haven't seen any reference to any injuries). The trend is not positive.

I sincerely hope that Richards will succeed. If it is mental issues, I have a lot of sympathy for him. But if it is more of an attitude problem, I will be utterly frustrated. It is unacceptable. If he is simply not good enough, it is a big disappointment as he is one of our highest earners (apparently 15k a week).

If Richards isn't good enough, I hope he gets a loan to League 1 or 2 or abroad, so that we can recoup a little bit of his salary.

It seems to me that he is a waster , if he is injured fair enough , otherwise i have no sympathy even if it is mental health problems . What about all the poor sods out there with mental health problems that don't earn upwards of 8k per week . Just get on with it , you get out of life what you put into it. Yes some people are unlucky with illness etc but the majority that work hard will enjoy their lives and get their rewards.
    By the way i can't see any league one or two clubs wanting him as they probably could'nt afford his wages and he could'nt be relied upon to play every week. I'm afraid we are probably stuck with him , another Steven Caulker or Samba Diakite .
    Hope i am wrong and he sorts himself out and starts playing games and comes good for us and turns out to be a legend.

Comment

If the life of a footballer doesnt suit him he should retire for the sake of his health. Of course that would result in him giving up a significant amount of money. I wonder which is more important to him?

I made a similar decision recently and decided to retire early. I just couldnt do the job anymore and it made me unhappy for a number of years. I will manage financially because Im not extravagant and live a simple basic life. Im already a happier person for the decision I made.

Im sure Richards could already live mortgage free in a flat and have cash in the bank to fall back on.

Comment

I feel for him if he has mental health issues but he's on a limited time contract so what is he going to do when his contract expires?

Comment

Mental health is a funy thing, no amount of money can cure demons. Everyone struggles with it to a small or large degree.

It's funny how these issues manifest, and when. It's one of those things that we'll never really know unless he or someone at the club comes out and says it.

Comment

My view, Gareth knew he couldn't rely on Richards to deliver on pitch. Marti has come to same view pretty quickly.

Doesn't matter how good he is with ball at feet, you have to work hard closing down opposition.

Comment

My Christmas wish is that he will just do one and take all his emotional and physical baggage with him.

Only want players who are prepared to put in an honest, proper shift.

Let him be someone else's problem.
              We already have more than enough of our fair share of sicknotes, can't be bothered and simply not very good, players all ready.

Comment

He won’t work with our 7 seconds to hunt the lost ball back (brilliant) approach

Comment

I'm not sure why people think he's any good? Richards come off the bench in one game last season (can't remember which) and hit the woodwork and was shooting from range. Looked good! Every other appearance he's looked lazy and not interested. Does nothing when he's not got the ball and when he's got it, he plays like it's 5 a side.

The signing has been nothing but a failure. Haven't seen nothing from him to suggest he's heading for anything better than non league.

Comment

He sure is a mystery , the club should come with a statement about what's going on with him .
                    He cops his money every week for let's face it ...doing nothing.
                    Can only play the MH card for so long , he should be well into therapy by now and looking at what he wants out of his career and where it's going .

Comment

Should be medically retired. Madness to keep paying an employee who doesn't have a work-related incapacity. The club have bent over backwards trying to accommodate him with a gentle return under "light duties" but it is not working. It's time for DWP to start keeping him, not us.

Comment

How the F##K did we get conned into buying him £500K I believe? Been nothing short of a disaster surely pulled our old so called DOf pants down when this was done think the above is correct retire him under ill health let the state keep him

Comment

Had a promising season at Doncaster prior which is why we got him in on loan. However no idea why we agreed a binding no strings attached compulsory purchase. Very poor piece of business. Usually an option to buy which if player flops you don't use.

Comment

Originally posted by FurtiveFox View Post
                            Had a promising season at Doncaster prior which is why we got him in on loan. However no idea why we agreed a binding no strings attached compulsory purchase. Very poor piece of business. Usually an option to buy which if player flops you don't use.
                            The way I see it, we acquired him during summer 2022. For one or another reason, we or Brighton wanted it to be arranged as a loan the first season, with an obligation to buy in summer of 2023. But it was a loan in name only - the reality is that we acquired him on a four year contract during summer of 2022. We must obviously have considered him a hot prospect. If not, we would not have given him a four year contract with salary of 15k per week.

My problem is: If the loan at Doncaster was a success, and he showed through playing in League One that he is probably good enough for the Championship, why has it all collapsed thereafter? You cannot do well in Doncaster if you only stroll around. In that division, next to good technical skills, you need to do the running, take part in high pressing, engage in tough tackles etc. All of those attributes haven't gone out the window, have they?

When Marti arrived, he was very complimentary about Richards, talking about how impressive he has been in training. I think it is still about metal health, but I have a creepy feeling it is even more about attitude.

Comment

In loan season at Doncaster, played a lot. However, only six times played full 90 minutes.

I think Mick Beale wanted him and pushed signing.

Comment

Working...
                              X