LUTON

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LUTON

10 years ago they was in national league now 90mins from premiership.
    where was we 10 years ago :(
    The record signing was for 1.3 million
    this has hit home how far we are actually being left behind

Originally posted by Kingaustin View Post
    10 years ago they was in national league now 90mins from premiership.
    where was we 10 years ago :(
    The record signing was for 1.3 million
    this has hit home how far we are actually being left behind
    Shows what decent recruitment and a board that's got a sense of a plan and has the foresight to stick with it

I fail to see the current owners working out how to fix the mess we're in

Comment

I completely agree, its unbelievable how far we have been left behind by Fulham, Brentford and now Luton. All these were regarded as TIN POT clubs in the past, I think we are the ones who are collecting the pots now. The blame must be put completely with the owners, the board and Les Ferdinand for terrible recruitment and a terrible long term strategy.
      I suppose Charlton and Orient will be on the up soon and pass us by like the other clubs have, when will the owners look at how other clubs are progressing and see that we have stagnated for years and are only getting worse.

Comment

Coventry City also in with a shot of Prem next year and they were League 2 five seasons ago.

Comment

Luton v Coventry, a league 2 fixture in 2017/2018 and now a Championship Play Off Final, amazing to be fair.

Comment

Hope Coventry do it .. the thought of seeing Luton on match of the day will be a sad time

Comment

Originally posted by Kingaustin View Post
              Hope Coventry do it .. the thought of seeing Luton on match of the day will be a sad time
              I never watch motd anyway not with ####ty Lineker hosting, f the BBC

Comment

As much as we would not want to be relegated, Sunderland, Coventry and Luton all showing what is possible when you are forced to rebuild the squad from the ground up, rather than clinging on in there in hope of a better season with a similar setup. Not saying it can only be done by relegating yourself, but it forces the issue that a problem exists.

That's despite Luton having that tosspot Jones in charge for a bit, i'll gloss over that.

Derby will be back next, Reading not long after. Both will be pushing promotion within 3 years and we'll still be here battling for 17th.

Comment

Originally posted by topperharley View Post
                  As much as we would not want to be relegated, Sunderland, Coventry and Luton all showing what is possible when you are forced to rebuild the squad from the ground up, rather than clinging on in there in hope of a better season with a similar setup. Not saying it can only be done by relegating yourself, but it forces the issue that a problem exists.

That's despite Luton having that tosspot Jones in charge for a bit, i'll gloss over that.

Derby will be back next, Reading not long after. Both will be pushing promotion within 3 years and we'll still be here battling for 17th.
                  Yes, sometimes you need a hard reset. Heaven forbid that we would ever find ourselves relegated, but when you are at rock bottom you're perspectives must change.
                  Ipswich will almost certainly finish above us next season, they have turned the corner after 5 seasons in div 1. Other teams have started to reap the benefits from a change of structure, which may see them moving up the leagues.
                  You now also have higher profile teams with money behind them (Wrexham, Salford) who may progress through the divisions in the next few years.
                  These teams coming through will obviously replace teams that are currently above them. We have to make sure that it's not going to be us.

Comment

Amit said we will be doing things differently.

I know its been a hard season but I refuse to say that other clubs can do it but we cant. If others want to think the club is cursed then crack on. If we finish 10-15th next season it will be a huge success. Lets see what squad we have for next season first before we talk ourselves into the National League.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post
                      Amit said we will be doing things differently.

I know its been a hard season but I refuse to say that other clubs can do it but we cant. If others want to think the club is cursed then crack on. If we finish 10-15th next season it will be a huge success. Lets see what squad we have for next season first before we talk ourselves into the National League.
                      I think what i find frustrating is that we've already been relegated with 'lessons learned' in recent times. Except they weren't learned, they were repeated, probably in a worse way.

We've had the opportunity to reset and though all the talk was right we've still made errors. Every club does but I do not think the club understands the hard decisions well enough. That Les interview told us all we needed to know about the ambition and the short sightedness of our goals over the last few years. It was honest but in my mind condeming of the current attitude.

Amit can talk about change and I bet we are all keen to embrace some brave decisions, let's see them do it.

Comment

I think making us hard to beat must be the priority next season - but It will take a lot of well researched loans and signings to achieve it.
                        QPR
                        Best team in the world
                        Sort of

Comment

We will be forced into a hard reset this summer as I suspect most if not all our better players will be sold.

Teams like Luton and Brentford are the exception. Most teams are not like them and we are probably roughly where we should be, notwithstanding our awful collapse last season.

We should though aim to get to the level of teams like that who have shown it can be done. If they can do it no reason we can't but any number of fans of different teams will be saying the same thing.

Comment

It's not the club in particular, but the people that runs it and bring new ideas. If we have with us the people that runs Brentford, we will be just as good.

Comment

Originally posted by Martinmalta View Post
                              It's not the club in particular, but the people that runs it and bring new ideas. If we have with us the people that runs Brentford, we will be just as good.
                              The people that run it, and support it, are the club. Everything else is a name, some numbers in the record books, grass, plastic seats, bricks and mortar.

What the club have to understand is that to progress, we are going to need to walk the talk. Been saying the right things for a while, but haven't done it enough in the boardroom.

Comment

Working...
                              X