What about a foreign manager then?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about a foreign manager then?

I dunno how things work following Brexit, it don't feel any different from a football manager perspective but I presume it must be slightly more difficult for a foreigner to get a job here now?

Anyway, notwithstanding visa issues how do we feel about a foreigner taking the helm?

I've looked at the mangers of the clubs automatically promoted over past 5 seasons (including this season) and their nationalities breakdown as follows:

3 English
    2 Portuguese
    1 German (Farke getting Norwich up twice)
    1 Spaniard
    1 Argentinian
    1 Croatian

It seems being English, knowing the league, understanding the club's DNA are all fairly bogus requirements. I'd have a foreigner. My only stipulation would be they must have conversational English (unless they are a God-Tier manager like Bielsa and then I could let it slide).

Jokanovic was sacked by Sheffield Utd, but has previously won promotion twice, with Watford and Fulham, so I would not mind him taking the job. I had previously recommended him on here after Ramsey was sacked.

Farke is another of my preferences.

Comment

I've touted Farke for a while now, he knows the league and the English game well enough, not scared to throw young players in I think, but the sticking point may be his salary, not sure we could afford him, but if he's looking for a job and a challenge there might be a deal to be made

Comment

There aren't that many jobs out there so I wouldn't rule out our being able to do a deal with Farke if he can't get a job at a bigger Championship side.

Nationality wise there hasn't been a top English manager in years so personally not bothered about nationality and there will be any number of talented foreign manager who would be interested in an opportunity at a Championship club.

Comment

Sadly, I think our club still is considered being a mess . Outside England, especially.
          QPR
          Best team in the world
          Sort of

Comment

Foreign??
            what like a Scots man?
            They're all rubbish

Comment

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...n-qpr-26948643

He is english,but has spend most of his career other side of the world.

Donīt know nothing about him

Comment

It's nothing new to the R's. In the past, we did have non-English Managers. I cannot recall their names, however, am sure we had at least two that did not last long, although they were successful elsewhere.

Comment

JFH?

"I don't read the papers, I don't gamble, I don't even know what day it is." - Steve McClaren.

Comment

I dont particularly care where the new manager was born, if he is ambitious, has a good footballing brain, and is ready to give youth a chance, then he could be a martian,
                    Welsh? I might have to draw the line at Welsh, I still have not, and never will, forgive Mark Hughes

Comment

Paulo de souza look what he done jack sh#t

Comment

I can tell you now as someone who deals with brexit nearly every day visas are a cluster ####. But i'm sure a football club with good resources can muster one up.

Someone who doesn't know the league could be a great shout if they have enough talent and nouse. If you 'know the league' it could be easy to decide what you're doing before you've even started kicking the ball about. Would be nice to have someone come in and not be afraid to think and play a little differently.

Comment

I don't really care - as long as he's the man for the job. Or woman obviously. Sh1t I should probably list a few more options these days. I think I've dug myself a hole...
                          "I don't read the papers, I don't gamble, I don't even know what day it is." - Steve McClaren.

Comment

Originally posted by ArcticHoop View Post
                            https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...n-qpr-26948643

He is english,but has spend most of his career other side of the world.

Donīt know nothing about him
                            Has a decent record at International level, but will he forego a World Cup challenge now?

As for a manager who knows the Championship I don't think that is necessary. Farke, Jokanovic, Bielsa and Wagner all won promotion without knowledge of the league here. Even Corberan had guided Huddersfield to 3rd place.

Comment

Mark Hughes

Comment

Working...
                              X