Charlie - First hand knowledge only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charlie - First hand knowledge only

I can't get to home games, I've not seen Charlie live since pre-covid.

He is getting alot of grief, I don't want to start a Charlie bashing thread. But as someone who cannot see him play live other than on the screen, is he really that immobile and unfit? Or is he suffering from a lack of service and therefore frustration.

From what I see on screen there just aren't enough opportunities created, he's never really been one to create his own, in the days before our 2 current number 10's (the first spell with us) he would score from outside the area, probably because he was fitter but also because there wasn't someone dribbling the ball about outside the box, who doesn't pass (sorry but can't help call out Ilias).

It's not like Gray or Dykes are faring any better at the moment.

So it's a simple question asked to people watching the game, who have seen Charlie past and present, is he now a liability to himself and the team, has the player gone, or is the same Charlie still there, and we just need to put more emphasis on getting the ball into the box so he and our other strikers can actually start doing their job?

Too be honest he is frustrated with himself, basic control sometimes lets him down, he is forever trying to wind up opposition and their fans, fine if you are scoring freely, pointless if you perform how he does.
    Yes service to him is not up to much, however chances have come his way and he has either been to slow or snatched at them.

He never was the quickest, but now looks laboured and slow.
    Im sure in and around the goal his instinct are still good, however at times his performances when he starts are woeful, it’s like having 10 men.
    To be honest our front 3 are not that good, cannot rely on any of them.

Comment

Definitely his frustration is showing through seems to be getting involved in niggly incidents over the last few weeks which could ultimately lead to a dismissal for him if he continues like this.
      Love the guy to bits but unless he can pull something out the bag before the end of the season fitness wise I think it will have to be a parting of ways for us.

Comment

Yeah these altercations and winding up players and fans isn't going down well is it, going to get himself sent off for something stupid eventually. That'll be a hard one to come back from.

Comment

If he gets service in the penalty area he will score goals, he seems to be dropping deep to get the ball, our midfield and defence keep going sideways and back doesn't help, even Dykes has to drop deep, I think it's all down to we are slow in getting the ball forward, and by that time the opposition have dropped back and reorganised and making it difficult for the strikers and getting balls into the box.
          But I do agree Charlie would be better as a impact sub for the last 20/30 minutes or so.
          All these dust ups with the opposition is just frustrations of not getting any service I think.

Comment

Yes, he has been less mobile, doesn't control the ball well and gets caught offside as well as snatching and missing chances. Well, apart from being more mobile, Dykes does all the other things wrong as well. His missed header at Barnsley, missed chance against Swansea are just 2 recent chances that immediately spring to mind.

It's time to lay off the abuse and for MW to use Austin in a better way (i.e. with more support up front or at least get the players to cross the blooming ball into the area more frequently (as they did 1st half against Reading).

It's a pity that the only cross he got in the 1st half on Saturday he sent his header wide. Other than that he got shoddy service from normal play and set pieces (what kind of corner did Barbet take - he did the same against Middlesboro too).

Comment

I have enjoyed reading this thread because it delves deeper into legitimate questions re lack of service and slow play.

Charlie is an important voice in the locker room, but starting him has got to stop as a selection tactic. He just can’t do that anymore. But give him 20-25 minutes, and more service into the box, and I believe he’ll become a bigger threat to score.

Fair to say most fans’ biggest concern right now is that the slow, deliberate play is likely to continue til season’s end,, that MW clearly refuses to change that staple of his coaching philosophy, and that every opposing team every week will know (and try to capitalize on) that.

Comment

Originally posted by stanistheman View Post
                Yes, he has been less mobile, doesn't control the ball well and gets caught offside as well as snatching and missing chances. Well, apart from being more mobile, Dykes does all the other things wrong as well. His missed header at Barnsley, missed chance against Swansea are just 2 recent chances that immediately spring to mind.

It's time to lay off the abuse and for MW to use Austin in a better way (i.e. with more support up front or at least get the players to cross the blooming ball into the area more frequently (as they did 1st half against Reading).

It's a pity that the only cross he got in the 1st half on Saturday he sent his header wide. Other than that he got shoddy service from normal play and set pieces (what kind of corner did Barbet take - he did the same against Middlesboro too).
                I thought Austin did well to get header towards goal. Cross was behind him.

Agree, Austin needs crosses and passes. Service has been poor recently.

Comment

I've no doubt Austin will voice his opinion on the training field to warbs and the coaches . He will know more than anyone what's going wrong . Dykes offers more mobility so will close down more than our Chas . As has been said Charlie needs to come off the bench he hasn't got the fitness but surely the bloke that picks him can see this . On giving him a hard time , that's not on . I'm sure he wants to do his best for us . So this is the place to voice it not at LR or on social media

Comment

Originally posted by 72bus View Post
                    I've no doubt Austin will voice his opinion on the training field to warbs and the coaches . He will know more than anyone what's going wrong . Dykes offers more mobility so will close down more than our Chas . As has been said Charlie needs to come off the bench he hasn't got the fitness but surely the bloke that picks him can see this . On giving him a hard time , that's not on . I'm sure he wants to do his best for us . So this is the place to voice it not at LR or on social media
                    If he want’s to do his best, why is he unfit and semifat?

Comment

Originally posted by swede View Post

If he want’s to do his best, why is he unfit and semifat?
                      Maybe he's carrying an injury , no such thing as semi fat mate

Comment

I saw him score the winner against WBA, it was all down to a peach of a cross from Willock and he out muscled the defender to head it in, this is what he can do very well, but it's down to service

Comment

Chair acknowledged the run of Austin that took defenders away for him to score on Saturday,I’m not so sure Dykes can do that on a regular basis yet.

Comment

Chaz can hardly be accused of missing chances…you could argue that maybe because of fitness he isn’t it positions to miss said chances…it’s called getting older …I think his performance Vs Derby away showed what Chaz can bring to this team..he’ll certainly always get my support whilst he wears The Hoops…

Comment

Originally posted by Banbury View Post
                              Chaz can hardly be accused of missing chances…you could argue that maybe because of fitness he isn’t it positions to miss said chances…it’s called getting older …I think his performance Vs Derby away showed what Chaz can bring to this team..he’ll certainly always get my support whilst he wears The Hoops…
                              He will always be a legend at the club, but the truth is he isn't fit by anybody's standard mate, what little pace he had has disappeared, he's got a stroppy attitude that wasn't there before, and he's not up to standard, pains me to say all this but I'm not alone in it, I would love to see the old Chas back, but it's not going to happen

Comment

Working...
                              X