Gray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gray

Played the full 90 mins of 1 nil defeat to Costa Rica. He had the least amount of touches of any outfield player. So basically stood still waving his arms around like he tends to for us. His exploits for Jamaica should mean he able to come back relatively fresh seeing as he only played about 105 mins in total. Let's see if he says he's ready to go like chair is or whether he needs to ease his way back in!!!

The results are fine without him so doubt he'll be a starter any time soon.

Comment

True but if dykes gets injured then I'd rather start with gray than austin who is only good for last 20 mins of games these days. Sadly!

Comment

i am not sure if the journalist has been watching Gray, but I would not say he has impressed fans that much with his form. 5 goals in 17 is not that good.

As for a permanent deal he would need to take a huge pay cut to get one at QPR.

https://the72.co.uk/262806/qpr-and-a...rs-future/amp/

Comment

Originally posted by Dono77 View Post
          True but if dykes gets injured then I'd rather start with gray than austin who is only good for last 20 mins of games these days. Sadly!
          Charlie is not just good for the last 20 minutes, he's not ancient. He's never been mobile or quick, ever. He put in an awesome performance v Derby a while ago, that player is still there and it is frustrating he's not like that week in week out. But he will always be a striker that thrives on moments in the penalty area. We simply do not get the ball into the penalty area with intent enough.

When was the last time you saw one of our players get to the byline and cross the ball back in behind defenders, I can't think of one and it's the oldest trick in the book to get defences mixed up and a poachers dream.

I'll add that that the Charlie i am a fan of is still there, but the league has moved on as he has gotten a bit older. It's faster now, almost like a mini premier league, it's faster paced and a player like him would always struggle. Maybe that is me just finding excuses.

I'm not a fan of Gray. One great goal and that's all i've really seen him do that stands out. But like all our strikers they'd do better with some service.

Comment

Originally posted by topperharley View Post

Charlie is not just good for the last 20 minutes, he's not ancient. He's never been mobile or quick, ever. He put in an awesome performance v Derby a while ago, that player is still there and it is frustrating he's not like that week in week out. But he will always be a striker that thrives on moments in the penalty area. We simply do not get the ball into the penalty area with intent enough.

When was the last time you saw one of our players get to the byline and cross the ball back in behind defenders, I can't think of one and it's the oldest trick in the book to get defences mixed up and a poachers dream.

I'll add that that the Charlie i am a fan of is still there, but the league has moved on as he has gotten a bit older. It's faster now, almost like a mini premier league, it's faster paced and a player like him would always struggle. Maybe that is me just finding excuses.

I'm not a fan of Gray. One great goal and that's all i've really seen him do that stands out. But like all our strikers they'd do better with some service.
            I think we done it against reading quite well. But do agree that we don't do it enough for Charlie to feed off.

Comment

We love passing the ball, especially on the back line, and don’t fancy pressing the ball into the box — especially down the middle.

Why can’t we start plays from our own goal with long kicks downfield, into the offensive zone versus taking a minute to slowly pass the ball upfield with far too rare service into our strikers?

Comment

Originally posted by Qprtanpa1 View Post
                We love passing the ball, especially on the back line, and don’t fancy pressing the ball into the box — especially down the middle.
                Eaeams
                Why can’t we start plays from our own goal with long kicks downfield, into the offensive zone versus taking a minute to slowly pass the ball upfield with far too rare service into our strikers?
                That was how the game was played for many years, it seems trendy now to always play out from the back even from goal kicks!! Playing it long, you have to have people up front who can get on the ball and keep it, I don't think we have anybody who can physically do that, Dykes would generally be the target and he is quite good in the air, but I don't think he has the quality on the ball that that style of play needs.
                the really good teams that play from the back, Liverpool Man City etc all have good ball carriers and they move the ball very quickly, unfortunately we do not, it needs to be done with purpose or it just gives the opposition time to get organised, which is where it's going wrong for us at the moment

Comment

Long ball game sucks and is horrible to watch.

Playing from the back is great when you move it quickly and with intent, only works if players are willing/talented enough to work as a unit and as hard off the ball as with it, make space. We have to work even harder as no one has that turn of pace to create gaps and stretch the opposition.

Watching Man City or Liverpool really is a joy at the minute, wether you hate them or not it's bloody good football.

Comment

Agree with the above but mix it up now and again with some long ball . We are to easy to play against when teams close us down or when they get back into their shape why we play the barbet , dunne , dickie , back to barbet blah blah blah . As said we need to play it quickly and mix it up , play with more purpose and desire ... Cmon u Rs

Comment

Good thoughts all. Is moving the ball with more pace such a difficult thing to coach? It would make up for the lack of speed on the back line, no?

Comment

No team likes to play against a team that's in their faces all the time, we need some intensity and pressing from the off tonight, it would be against the norm for us, but it does need to happen, if we are going to get anything from this game

Comment

Originally posted by topperharley View Post

Exactly the reason we needed to sign a pacy wide player in the window. Look at dykes. 2 decent crosses from out wide, 2 goals. Most strikers score from crosses in the box. We tend to go through willock or chair to lay on the assists which mainly come through the middle.

Comment

Play at least some of the youngsters, please. They`ve got pace to press.
                            QPR
                            Best team in the world
                            Sort of

Comment

Silly me, I thought this thread was about Gray not the style of football QPR play.

For what it is worth, I kind of enjoy our passing football, but not the sideways and back amongst the defence. We need to mostly pass it forward along the ground but go long where possible or forced to. We can't play long ball as neither Dykes or Austin are good at winning headers and laying the ball off to team mates. I agree if we can get the ball out wide (i.e. Adomah, Wallace, Willock or Chair) and get towards the byline for a cut back or cross, the forwards, including Gray, are good enough to score goals.

Comment

Working...
                              X