Two strikers vs two #10s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two strikers vs two #10s

Been fiddling with this coaching selection quandary for a while.

Assuming we stay with the current structure of a goalie, 3 CBs, 2 wing backs, and 2 conventional midfielders (one defensive -- Field, Ball, Amos; the other more offensive -- Stefan, Dozzell, Thomas) that leaves three more starting positions. Play Willock and Chair + one striker with option to replace one of the #10s with a second striker late in a game (Austin), or play two strikers while alternating between Chair/Willock.

Thoughts?

I think it's impossible to talk about formations in isolation of the players available.

I would play 4-3-3 but then I'd think we haven't got 3 mobile pacey attackers so I'd have to think again.

I struggle to understand Warburton's obsession with wingbacks given that we have no bona fide fit competent wingbacks in the squad. This means any discussions about formation are redundant.

I do feel we have an abundance of talent in midfield so logic suggests 4-5-1 would work maybe?

Comment

Umm--- it's Friday night, it's happy hour, I have no f ucking idea ?

Comment

2-1 -7??? Never been tried before, it's progressive, and aggressive attack wise, remember people used to mock 4-4 -2 when it first came out?

Comment

Apologies, that was a bit disrespectful to your thread, I was out of order there

Comment

I think the 3 CBs works reasonably well as we have seen Barbet struggle in a four man defence.
            It’s true we don’t have great wing backs but I think Adomah and Wallace are doing quite well at the moment.
            I think two strikers work the opponent’s defence more than our 2 No.10s although if on their game , Willock and Chair can cause havoc too.
            It’s a tough call and could get even tougher if QPR manage to buy Tom Lawrence.

Comment

Originally posted by stanistheman View Post
              I think the 3 CBs works reasonably well as we have seen Barbet struggle in a four man defence.
              It’s true we don’t have great wing backs but I think Adomah and Wallace are doing quite well at the moment.
              I think two strikers work the opponent’s defence more than our 2 No.10s although if on their game , Willock and Chair can cause havoc too.
              It’s a tough call and could get even tougher if QPR manage to buy Tom Lawrence.
              Are we interested in Tom Lawrence? I have stated before that I think he should be playing in the premiership.

Comment

We saw what happened today when we were getting over run in the midfield and MW brought in another mf (Thomas for Gray) we started to get hold of the ball, Dykes works hard but if he is being asked to drop back for any length of time I would rather bring on a true midfielder!
                @gatorTFC

Comment

Having 2 out and out strikers is great if they can complement each other’s game but I would say none of our current strikers work well as a pair imo.

Austin and Dykes would be more effective with consistent delivery’s from out wide and Gray would be at his best with early service through central M/F

Comment

Originally posted by MINCER View Post
                    Having 2 out and out strikers is great if they can complement each other’s game but I would say none of our current strikers work well as a pair imo.

Austin and Dykes would be more effective with consistent delivery’s from out wide and Gray would be at his best with early service through central M/F
                    I agree that we have not had any combo of a two striker duo gel.

Like the idea of getting a Tom Lawrence type who can not only quarterback from the midfield but also score (Stefan so far has been mediocre re the former and nearly absent re the latter).

The big revelation this year is how Willock has become our leading #10 -- he ignites, he passes, he scores, and at times even defends. Chair is very talented but by almost always looking down he too often sees no one else in a play other than himself (totally believe this is coachable, and the only thing separating Chair from a respectable career in the top league).

Dozzell and Amos are good second half subs and add the bench depth MW wants/needs, but neither merits a set starting role right now if QPR are to remain a playoff contender.

Comment

Yes make you correct on your comments regarding our players,always a good sign of real talent if their able to play naturally with their head up,of which Willock certainly does.

I think there’s a lot more to come from Dozzell with more game time, but not sure having 3 predominately left footed players necessarily provides good balance in the M/F area.

Comment

Working...
                      X