Unashamed homage to football fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unashamed homage to football fans

So, I think I have said that I don't get up to as many games as I used to or would like to, yet after over 50 years support, the feelings never change, I'm full of nervous energy for the game against West Brom tomorrow at 8 pm the night before!!, When I walk out of the White City station tomorrow, cut through the estate and walk down South Africa Road, I'm no longer an arthritic 62 year old, I'm that 12 year old kid again, taking in the sights and smells like it was the first time.
    There will be thousands like me going to games tomorrow, feeling exactly the same, those weird people who say " it's only a game" just don't get it, they have never felt the sheer joy your team can give you, nor the utter despair at times, I've shed tears of joy and tears of heartbreak over the years, not ashamed to admit it, so here's to a good day tomorrow, if you are going soak it all in no matter what happens, for we are all United in our love for our team and the beauty of the game of football

Where did you spend your Saturdays from the age of 7 until you were 12 Kev ? I was plotted up in the School End (Dad said the other end was too rowdy)with a wooden stool painted in Blue and White Hoops at age 7.
    My claim to fame was Rodney accidentally touching my hand whilst going up a Railway Station stairwell away at Villa when we were promoted ,in those days the players travelled on the same Train as supporters.Will never forget the chant “Rodnee Rodnee “echoing around Villa Park

Comment

Two fantastic posts.
      I have supported Rangers for 55 seasons, since March 1969.

Comment

Originally posted by MINCER View Post
        Where did you spend your Saturdays from the age of 7 until you were 12 Kev ? I was plotted up in the School End (Dad said the other end was too rowdy)with a wooden stool painted in Blue and White Hoops at age 7.
        My claim to fame was Rodney accidentally touching my hand whilst going up a Railway Station stairwell away at Villa when we were promoted ,in those days the players travelled on the same Train as supporters.Will never forget the chant “Rodnee Rodnee “echoing around Villa Park
        I was an army kid Mince, living out in Germany and then Northern Ireland, it was my best mate at the time that first took me to Rangers when we came back to England, I was hooked from that moment, I still don't know wether to curse him or thank him!!!

Comment

Originally posted by KevC59 View Post

I was an army kid Mince, living out in Germany and then Northern Ireland, it was my best mate at the time that first took me to Rangers when we came back to England, I was hooked from that moment, I still don't know wether to curse him or thank him!!!
          Being a supporter for over 50 yrs is a great achievement Kev,have a great day at the match today.

Comment

Thanks mate looking forward to seeing the lads beat those baggies !!

Comment

Originally posted by KevC59 View Post
              So, I think I have said that I don't get up to as many games as I used to or would like to, yet after over 50 years support, the feelings never change, I'm full of nervous energy for the game against West Brom tomorrow at 8 pm the night before!!, When I walk out of the White City station tomorrow, cut through the estate and walk down South Africa Road, I'm no longer an arthritic 62 year old, I'm that 12 year old kid again, taking in the sights and smells like it was the first time.
              There will be thousands like me going to games tomorrow, feeling exactly the same, those weird people who say " it's only a game" just don't get it, they have never felt the sheer joy your team can give you, nor the utter despair at times, I've shed tears of joy and tears of heartbreak over the years, not ashamed to admit it, so here's to a good day tomorrow, if you are going soak it all in no matter what happens, for we are all United in our love for our team and the beauty of the game of football
              I am 58 and moved a long long way from London in 1991.
              I get to as many games as I can, the above post sums it up perfectly, made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, sounds crazy but those that know just know what I mean.

Comment

My Garden which didn't look like that years ago !!..Got run over by a Tony's of Acton Ice Cream van when I was 3. QPR medical staff there first. Worked in QPR as a tray boy in the 60's and Rodney nicked a packet of crisps off me !!
                The good old days.

009.jpg

Comment

Lightweights! I used to not eat school dinners in the 70s so I could save the money to spend on going to away games.

Comment

First game March 69, I’ve loved everyday of the last 53 years supporting the best team in Shepherds Bush.
                    I have supported Rangers for 55 seasons, since March 1969.

Comment

What a match Kev and others got to see, this one will be well remembered even by you lot that have seen a ton of matches over the years!
                      @gatorTFC

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post
                        Lightweights! I used to not eat school dinners in the 70s so I could save the money to spend on going to away games.
                        I guess you filled up on the free milk?

Personally, I thought school dinners were free too in those days.
                        "I don't read the papers, I don't gamble, I don't even know what day it is." - Steve McClaren.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo View Post

I guess you filled up on the free milk?

Personally, I thought school dinners were free too in those days.
                          I don't remember paying at junior school but definitely had to pay in secondary school. I think it was 20p but memory's a bit fuzzy.

My dad used to send me out to get Daily Mirror for 3p but I'd normally take a shilling and keep the change. That was a nice little earner over the weeks too.

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post

I don't remember paying at junior school but definitely had to pay in secondary school. I think it was 20p but memory's a bit fuzzy.

My dad used to send me out to get Daily Mirror for 3p but I'd normally take a shilling and keep the change. That was a nice little earner over the weeks too.
                            Lol! I tried that once when the old girl sent me shopping, I got busted good and proper, she got the big stick out for that one!!

Comment

First game in 1966, now a very young (I think) 62 year old I can’t understand why the results still affect my weekend so much, so very happy today.

Comment

Working...
                              X