Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Championship Salary Cap Vote in March?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Championship Salary Cap Vote in March?

    Talk that a vote on potentially introducing a salary cap for the 2021-22 season in the championship is to be done in March.

    This would replace the current FFP rules and would mean that -:
    • A salary cap of 18m per season.
    • Under 21 players would not count towards the cap.
    • Promotion Bonuses would not be included as part of the cap.
    • The cap would include agent fees, loyality fees, image rights, taxes, loan fees and other expenses directly paid to registered players.
    • For teams who have been relegated from the Premier League; players who earn more than 720,000 per year, a divisional average which is calculated by doing 18m/25. would be able to register players at 720,000 and would be able to extend player contracts at existing levels of pay if they have less than 18 months left on their contract and the club are in reciept of parachute payments.

    Teams who breach the salary cap would face the following -:
    • There would be an "overrun tax" so teams would have to pay 3 for every 1 over the 18m mark, which would be placed into a fund to be shared with the other teams in the league who have complied with the cap.
    • Teams who breach the cap by less than 20% would face a fine.
    • Teams who breach the cap by more than 20% would face a points deduction.

    Thoughts on these proposals? I personally believe its a vast improvement on the FFP rules which have been a total disaster for the league.

  • #2
    Originally posted by ConorQPR2000 View Post
    Talk that a vote on potentially introducing a salary cap for the 2021-22 season in the championship is to be done in March.

    This would replace the current FFP rules and would mean that -:
    • A salary cap of 18m per season.
    • Under 21 players would not count towards the cap.
    • Promotion Bonuses would not be included as part of the cap.
    • The cap would include agent fees, loyality fees, image rights, taxes, loan fees and other expenses directly paid to registered players.
    • For teams who have been relegated from the Premier League; players who earn more than 720,000 per year, a divisional average which is calculated by doing 18m/25. would be able to register players at 720,000 and would be able to extend player contracts at existing levels of pay if they have less than 18 months left on their contract and the club are in reciept of parachute payments.

    Teams who breach the salary cap would face the following -:
    • There would be an "overrun tax" so teams would have to pay 3 for every 1 over the 18m mark, which would be placed into a fund to be shared with the other teams in the league who have complied with the cap.
    • Teams who breach the cap by less than 20% would face a fine.
    • Teams who breach the cap by more than 20% would face a points deduction.

    Thoughts on these proposals? I personally believe its a vast improvement on the FFP rules which have been a total disaster for the league.
    Seems a bit ridiculous that you can deliberately break the rules by breaking the cap limit and only be punished by contributing to a fund that gets spread around other teams .Either way it’s good for us as we live within these boundaries now . As always though the teams with the parachute payments will still hold the advantage but I don’t see how you change that .

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Stainrod View Post

      Seems a bit ridiculous that you can deliberately break the rules by breaking the cap limit and only be punished by contributing to a fund that gets spread around other teams .Either way it’s good for us as we live within these boundaries now . As always though the teams with the parachute payments will still hold the advantage but I don’t see how you change that .
      But it is a lot better that the current FFP rules though which limits how much owners can invest into the club.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ConorQPR2000 View Post

        But it is a lot better that the current FFP rules though which limits how much owners can invest into the club.
        Agree , not perfect but better than ffp which most clubs have ignored or found loop holes .

        Comment


        • #5
          Salary cap seems alot fairer than this disgraceful shambles they are so expertly ballsing up at the moment.
          We should have our spiteful, vindictive, sanction written off immediately too.
          I take it prem teams can still have as big a budget as they like?
          ​Also agree there has to be something more of a deterrent than putting a small % into a tips jar

          Comment


          • #6
            With a salary cap it would not be very likely that CA will sign for us next season. Or maybe a bonus would be the solution?
            QPR
            Best team in the world
            Sort of

            Comment


            • #7
              Only works if PL has something similar

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by topperharley View Post
                Only works if PL has something similar
                That won’t happen .

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Stainrod View Post

                  That won’t happen .
                  Of course it won't.

                  Any cap on a division not imposed in a similar way (sliding scale) from others, where promotion and demotion are a goal/punishment means the teams getting promoted will struggle to justify investment.

                  Granted it doesn't always relate to a better squad but any cap on championship teams screws them if not imposed on those above (obviously not the same cap amount for prem teams).

                  Is better than current FFP though.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by topperharley View Post

                    Of course it won't.

                    Any cap on a division not imposed in a similar way (sliding scale) from others, where promotion and demotion are a goal/punishment means the teams getting promoted will struggle to justify investment.

                    Granted it doesn't always relate to a better squad but any cap on championship teams screws them if not imposed on those above (obviously not the same cap amount for prem teams).

                    Is better than current FFP though.
                    On the flip side it’s a good thing to live within your means if you managed to get promoted to the premier league .Our spiral out of control happened due to our crazy spending on the back of promotion to the premier league in 2010/11.If every club that got promoted to the premier league spent wisely they wouldn’t be risking setting themselves back 10/15 years like we did.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      If FFP is replaced with these rules it is a great advantage for clubs with low income and rich owners. We fall in that category. These new rules are much more important to us than three points away against Luton.

                      Shania, these rules will not reduce the chance of signing Austin, rather the opposite. We are far from hitting the threshold of 18m now.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by QPROslo View Post
                        If FFP is replaced with these rules it is a great advantage for clubs with low income and rich owners. We fall in that category. These new rules are much more important to us than three points away against Luton.

                        Shania, these rules will not reduce the chance of signing Austin, rather the opposite. We are far from hitting the threshold of 18m now.
                        OK. Thank you. Point taken!
                        QPR
                        Best team in the world
                        Sort of

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I agree it is a better system than the current one and will certainly help the Premiership relegated sides and their parachute payments, but it will also help clubs like ours with wealthy backers as we are currently within that budget (thanks to them for continuing to fund us). We would even afford to offer an increase in wages to some players or offer a more attractive wage to new ones (and could always pay out bigger promotion bonuses in a way to tempt players like Austin to join).

                          The EPL players are no longer wanted need to play elsewhere and may be tempted to drop to the Championship by a big promotion winning bonus.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Two things spring to mind....

                            1) There has to be fixed dates/deadlines for the accounting period that are immutable. Any club late with their accounts has to be assumed to have breached, There also has to be a swift and speedy punishment... no ass-dragging and fines taking three seasons to impose.

                            2) And, linked to (1) above, there has to be full co-operation with/from Premier League and any club that breaches cannot be promoted. My concern is teams wilfully breaching, getting promoted and happily paying the fine out of their new-found Prem riches.

                            Both my points above are about catching the buggers before they've bolted into the Prem basically.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ConorQPR2000 View Post
                              Talk that a vote on potentially introducing a salary cap for the 2021-22 season in the championship is to be done in March.

                              This would replace the current FFP rules and would mean that -:
                              • A salary cap of 18m per season.
                              • Under 21 players would not count towards the cap.
                              • Promotion Bonuses would not be included as part of the cap.
                              • The cap would include agent fees, loyality fees, image rights, taxes, loan fees and other expenses directly paid to registered players.
                              • For teams who have been relegated from the Premier League; players who earn more than 720,000 per year, a divisional average which is calculated by doing 18m/25. would be able to register players at 720,000 and would be able to extend player contracts at existing levels of pay if they have less than 18 months left on their contract and the club are in reciept of parachute payments.

                              Teams who breach the salary cap would face the following -:
                              • There would be an "overrun tax" so teams would have to pay 3 for every 1 over the 18m mark, which would be placed into a fund to be shared with the other teams in the league who have complied with the cap.
                              • Teams who breach the cap by less than 20% would face a fine.
                              • Teams who breach the cap by more than 20% would face a points deduction.

                              Thoughts on these proposals? I personally believe its a vast improvement on the FFP rules which have been a total disaster for the league.
                              So salaries are capped but there would be no limit on player purchase values?...interesting.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X