Ollie did well today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
    If we are playing wing backs (and one of those is a CM) and no winger, is it still stupid if we win ?
    'Stupid' no, but would agree with 77's assessment. Kudos to Ollie and Smyth for the victory yesterday though. The frustrating thing is I'm sure we could have picked up so many more points had it not been for the 3-5-2. I also agree with others saying it wasn't such a major gamble to play Smyth considering how disappointing Washington and Mackie have been this season (but even those two haven't been helped by the system). Wouldn’t put Sylla and Smith in the same bracket though because they still need wingers to get the very best out of them.

Originally posted by Kevin Mcleod View Post
    In the mix isnt in a battle though imo.
    Birmingham and Sunderland are in a battle.
    Semantics at this stage really.

Comment

What does semantics mean, is it the same as patronising?

Comment

Sorry mate, you've lost me there

Comment

He did well yesterday, i`ll give him that,
          QPR
          Best team in the world
          Sort of

Comment

olly makes a lot more sense when he calms down a bit

Comment

Originally posted by 72bus View Post
              olly makes a lot more sense when he calms down a bit
              That was well said.
              QPR
              Best team in the world
              Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
                I think we both called it at the time as well mate. Let's hope this current crop of youngsters coming through don't go the same way.

I will add that I'm not digging Manning out, he's tried his hardest. Tough job as well being right in the middle of things as a kid in a physical league like the Championship. As I say, I'd send him out somewhere where the standard is a little lower and let him find his feet for a year. He'll come back a better player I'm sure.
                Personally think you two tarbs and westy are completely wrong about manning, in my opinion hes a very good youngster & its just we`ve got players like scowen freeman etc infront of him at the moment! you two are jumping a big gun and also remember about ollie saying a month or two ago he felt smyth was not quite upto scratch fitness wise!
                http://soundcloud.com/pinkie2

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkie View Post
                  Personally think you two tarbs and westy are completely wrong about manning, in my opinion hes a very good youngster & its just we`ve got players like scowen freeman etc infront of him at the moment! you two are jumping a big gun and also remember about ollie saying a month or two ago he felt smyth was not quite upto scratch fitness wise!
                  Tarbs is not saying he is a bad player at all.
                  QPR
                  Best team in the world
                  Sort of

Comment

Think Manning could be a good option in that LWB position if we are gonna keep playing that system. Great Engine, decent defensively and much better attacking that Bidwell.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Wilson View Post
                      Think Manning could be a good option in that LWB position if we are gonna keep playing that system. Great Engine, decent defensively and much better attacking that Bidwell.
                      Id agree with that and on the other side Cousins

Comment

He might be a good player one day mate. All I'm saying is he ain't ready for this league based on what I've seen. Looked cracking for 3 or 4 games, but faded very fast and looked anonymous for a lot of the next 10 or 15 games he was involved in.

Honest question, and I ain't digging you mate. But how many of Manning's games have you watched?

Comment

Originally posted by brightonr View Post
                          I suspect it's pretty evident that I've not been a fan of Holloway since his return. For me, yesterday highlighted exactly why.

I can understand how those like Pinkie defend him on the basis that some of the players have been letting him down and to a certain extent, they have. However, the manager's job is to make the big decisions and hopefully the right ones. To persist with picking players who aren't doing the business was madness. Yesterday proved it. He himself admitted that picking Smyth was a big gamble. But why was it? The lad is clearly more than capable and just because some of the so called senior pros can't peform when it matters, it doesn't mean others can't.

Saw a stat earlier that showed Matt Smith has scored more goals with his head in 2017 than any other Championship player. Just imagine what he could achieve given proper service from the wings. This wing back nonsense is simply too negative an approach. It restricts our attacking options way too much and needs to be ditched immediately imo.

When Smyth had to come off yesterday, I was fully expecting to see either Washington or Sylla appear for yet another lacklustre performance. Was astonished he put young Oteh on and my goodness, how he was rewarded. That sort of intelligent movement, both on and off the ball, coupled with pace and proper desire was a joy to watch.

I know this approach won't please everybody, but for me personally, I'd far prefer to see us properly take games to other teams like we did yesterday from the off. Sure, there will be times when it might not work out too well if we catch the opposition on a good day. But I'd rather get beaten trying to entertain than lose anyway with the embarrassingly inept performances we have come to expect.

I think yesterday proved beyond any doubt that those saying we haven't the players, or they are not up to this level were wrong. From what I've seen of this division, the players we have, particularly if utilised correctly are easily good enough for a top half finish. Easily. Too late now for a realistic push for a play off spot, but nobody will be able to convince me that it wasn't a possibility if the manager had been willing to have a proper go this season as opposed to going into games simply hoping not to lose.

So, here's hoping that FINALLY, Holloway has realised that positive, attacking football with young pacy players is not only far more likely to produce better results, but also offers better entertainment for those that pay their hard earned money to watch us. If he has, by which I mean continuing for the rest of the season, not just a game or two, then he may well just win back some of the fans. Just ditch the boring stuff Ian, leave that for the rest of the division to suffer.
                          This!! Eccoes me sentiments excatly.
                          QPR
                          Best team in the world
                          Sort of

Comment

Only time will tell but for me what do we know now. Not very good passer, not great in the tackle, not quick, don’t appear to have a trick but does have a good engine

I’ve not seen anything to make me think there is someone special here but maybe I’m being overly harsh. My prediction is he’s not with us come end of next season

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Mcleod View Post
                              What does semantics mean, is it the same as patronising?
                              Kev, semantics is one word that is hard to explain, but it's all about different interpretations of the same topic - almost, if you like tomato and tomaeto. Or if you prefer, the battle those two are in is a relegation battle in some peoples eyes whereas the one we are in is a relegation is some peoples eyes
                              #standuptocancer
                              #inyourfacecancer

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
                                He might be a good player one day mate. All I'm saying is he ain't ready for this league based on what I've seen. Looked cracking for 3 or 4 games, but faded very fast and looked anonymous for a lot of the next 10 or 15 games he was involved in.

Honest question, and I ain't digging you mate. But how many of Manning's games have you watched?
                                Admittedly not a hell of a lot of games tarbs but what i have seen can tell hes a good little player, he like any decent player needs more games before starting to shine more mate
                                http://soundcloud.com/pinkie2

Comment

Working...
                                X