• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by surrey_hoop View Post
    Smithies

Ned Caulker Lynch Bidwell

Borysiuk

Woz Chery Ngabakoto

Washington Sylla

Barring injuries, that should be the team most weeks IMO. It won't set the world on fire, but we'd consolidate our place in the division with it, and possibly play some stuff that wouldn't bore veryone to tears.
    So drop Mass to shoe horn Chery in??? As said before our problems in large part are due to trying to get Chery into the side when it don't work

Comment

Originally posted by Cjskinz View Post
      Shall we get back on topic as we know some people don't like to deviate?

Passing the ball along the back four to lump it up to Polter, who at best may win a flick on but certainly can't hold it up which will go straight to their keeper and now we are defending again. Sylla would be the better option if that's the way we are going to play. If JFH wants Polter to flick it on, play Washington up with him so he can run on to it.

What has annoyed me is declaring Chery is basically un-droppable. JFH said something like "he was player of the month how can i drop him? and that's his best position so I have to play him there."

Some people enjoy watching Barton try a Hollywood ball and over hitting it, some enjoy watching Faurlin play the same ball with pin point accuracy, and others enjoy Henry keeping it simple and retaining possession (and f*cking it up occasionally). We all like different things. For the record, I think the football is sh*t but there's no point trying to change people's mind if they are enjoying something?
      100% mate, the point in bold. Because the wingers aren't getting close enough to Polti and neither are the central midfielders (Chery) to support. Washington has to have a run in the team, either with Sylla or Polti - Something has to change because we are dull and far too predictable.

For what it's worth I think Chery goes missing in games far too often, we also need much more from him.

Comment

Polter has made progress here. Remember when he first came and used to jump for long high balls and completely missed them embarrassingly all of the time. Now, take Saturday for example, I think he connected with 90% of them? There is team progress going on as well and I will keep saying it as long as there are JFH knockers, it takes time, live with it. Teams in transition at our level do not win leagues or make the playoffs.

Chery has a function as a CAM and JFH has explained why he plays where he plays, not wide right. The club must be completely wrong and know less than we do, if they want to give him a new contract shortly. Henry slots if any defenders go forward. More than likely JFH has other players in mind for that slot who can be more positive, but we are not privy to other players readiness or fitness for that role atm. Like Cjskinz above has noted, there are flaws in our play-style and JFH is trying to figure out the best way to work as a team.

Every player has their own faults and attributes, they don't come off a factory shelf with 10 out of 10 on everything. Do the players know each others game inside out yet, no they don't. If he's not hounded out, I would confidently expect a fully functioning team next season, where everyone knows their job and we would expect to be challenging. I would rather 10,000 home fans in the stadium who get behind their team, than 14,000 who moan and groan on every misplaced ball. I'm glad we've moved on from the vigilante days, there wouldn't be any managers left. This is all OTT of course.
        Last edited by Olly; 18-10-2016, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hardy View Post
          Polter has made progress here. Remember when he first came and used to jump for long high balls and completely missed them embarrassingly all of the time. Now, take Saturday for example, I think he connected with 90% of them? There is team progress going on as well and I will keep saying it as long as there are JFH knockers, it takes time, live with it. Teams in transition at our level do not win leagues or make the playoffs.

Chery has a function as a CAM and JFH has explained why he plays where he plays, not wide right. The club must be completely wrong and know less than we do, if they want to give him a new contract shortly. Henry slots if any defenders go forward. More than likely JFH has other players in mind for that slot who can be more positive, but we are not privy to other players readiness or fitness for that role atm. Like Cjskinz above has noted, there are flaws in our play-style and JFH is trying to figure out the best way to work as a team.

Every player has their own faults and attributes, they don't come off a factory shelf with 10 out of 10 on everything. Do the players know each others game inside out yet, no they don't. If he's not hounded out, I would confidently expect a fully functioning team next season, where everyone knows their job and we would expect to be challenging. I would rather 10,000 home fans in the stadium who get behind their team, than 14,000 who moan and groan on every misplaced ball. I'm glad we've moved on from the vigilante days, there wouldn't be any managers left. This is all OTT of course.
          What a fantastic post Hardy. Everything here is 100% correct.
          "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

But its as boring as fu ck.

Comment

Hang on...so a centre forward has learnt how to head the ball should be seen as progress?
              A CAM who never gets ahead of the centre forward or breaks into the box? i would love to know how many touches Chery had in the opposition penalty area as i bet its not many.
              I think we would all be happy if we could see what the plan to progress is..but at this stage it is impossible...the fact that he JFH doesn't appear to have a plan tactically is what is worrying. and surely number one plan should be to entertain and that is not happening at the moment...especially at home

Comment

Just seen this report from a Reading fan.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/fo...ading-12032700

Jesus wept, some people are easily pleased.

Comment

Not all CF's are hold up players naturally, of course they can all head the ball on goal, but being in position in open play for flick-ons is different. BZ was good at that but not much else. We don't know what JFH's plan or progress model he is following, or where the players are in that scenario, and he doesn't have to share it with us or other opponents publicly. That's between him and the club as much as we would all like to know. The common denominator here is negativity which has built up from an accumulation of small highs and bigger lows over the last few years.

I am not seeing very much praise for the quality of players we have brought in, a little that's all. It's all Les and JFH out. There's an agenda in people's minds that they won't budge on regardless of where we finish this season. A football minded DOF is a must for clubs like us, if managers don't like it, don't bother us, simple as. You all saw what Hughes and Redcrapp did, and you want to go back to those days. Not with my money if I was an owner.
                  Last edited by Olly; 18-10-2016, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Not all CF's are hold up players naturally, of course they can all head the ball on goal, but being in position in open play for flick-ons is different. BZ was good at that but not much else. We don't know what JFH's plan or progress model he is following, or where the players are in that scenario, and he doesn't have to share it with us or other opponents publicly. That's between him and the club as much as we would all like to know. The common denominator here is negativity which has built up from an accumulation of small highs and bigger lows over the last few years.

I am not seeing very much praise for the quality of players we have brought in, a little that's all. It's all Les and JFH out. There's an agenda in people's minds that they won't budge on regardless of where we finish this season. A football minded DOF is a must for clubs like us, if managers don't like it, don't bother us, simple as. You all saw what Hughes and Redcrapp did, and you want to go back to those days. Not with my money if I was an owner.
                    Eminently sensible posts will not win you any awards on here.

In regard to the 'we're so boring now' welter of posts - generally I can't agree. But it's all about personal taste of course. I like chess. A lot of people don't. Maybe that's the difference here. I also enjoy stories with some subtlety and nuance as opposed to the more cartoonish and obvious tropes of many popular narratives. You see, I'm seeing the unfolding narrative of JFH's reign entirely differently to the majority of posters on here (I think it's a majority). I'm actually enjoying it. I actually do think there's progression. But maybe (well, obviously) that's not clear to many.

Comment

Good posting from Hardy.

Hubble's view is a minority view from what I'm reading and who I'm speaking to at Rangers.
                      For me it's as simple as, do I think the players brought in have quality? YES. Do I think Les and Hoos are doing a good job? YES.
                      Do I find us increasingly dull to watch with increasing questions of 'What are we actually trying to do when we have the ball, that would constitute trying to win a football match?'. YES.

Personally, I can't see how any pure football fan is enjoying JFH's reign - A game of chess is more thrilling currently. He seemingly has some terrific, talented players at his disposal, but not a clue how to set them up, to get a foot on the ball, express themselves, and control the game.

It's all very rigid and structured, with a look of trying to keep shape and defend for as long as possible, winning set pieces here and there - Except we can't defend and seem like a bag of nerves at the back when we try to get a foot on the ball to build. Not to compare us to Man Utd, but it all seems very LVG.
                      Last edited by West London is Rss; 18-10-2016, 12:48 PM.

Comment

A football minded DOF is a must for clubs like us
                        It clearly is not since clubs of our size and stature function perfectly well without one.

Comment

Originally posted by Hubble View Post
                          I'm actually enjoying it.
                          That's the masochist in you coming out. And that's OK.

Comment

Would JFH drop Chery to play two centre mids, two wide men and two strikers?

Chery under-performing as of late IMO.

i.e.

Wzaolek Luongo Borysiuk/Cousins Ngbakoto/Shodipo

Polter Washington

Comment

Originally posted by hal9thou View Post
                              It clearly is not since clubs of our size and stature function perfectly well without one.
                              Examples???

Comment

Originally posted by West London is Rss View Post
                                Would JFH drop Chery to play two centre mids, two wide men and two strikers?

Chery under-performing as of late IMO.

i.e.

Wzaolek Luongo Borysiuk/Cousins Ngbakoto/Shodipo

Polter Washington
                                He was incredible against Fulham and that was one match ago.
                                "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Working...
                                X