Proper screwed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Del View Post
    Rhodes would've done.... what the same unproven Rhodes who would've cost about £12m and has never played against decent defences? Or Hooper who bombed last season, and I don't care that he scored a handful of goals, he was shite and they'd be asking for about £6m.... No thanks.
    Not sure that is quite good enough mate. You have made some good posts in this debate but fact is it was hardly out of the blue that Remy left and it was pretty obvious what position that was leave us in. It was negligent of the club - and yes we all get how difficult it is to get in strikers who will score but are affordable - not to have a fully worked out plan b. clubs like swansea do manage to scout these kind of strikers. with our now quite extensive and expensive scouting network we should have done the same. it was a problem we had known about for ages. now we just hope we can remain in the game till jan when we can hopefully rectify the mistake.

Comment

Defoe = Plan A
      Borini = Plan B
      No Plan C.

Comment

So much to look forward to....

Comment

Originally posted by stainrodisalegend View Post
          Not sure that is quite good enough mate. You have made some good posts in this debate but fact is it was hardly out of the blue that Remy left and it was pretty obvious what position that was leave us in. It was negligent of the club - and yes we all get how difficult it is to get in strikers who will score but are affordable - not to have a fully worked out plan b. clubs like swansea do manage to scout these kind of strikers. with our now quite extensive and expensive scouting network we should have done the same. it was a problem we had known about for ages. now we just hope we can remain in the game till jan when we can hopefully rectify the mistake.
          sums it up. It's a particularly baffling mistake because lack of firepower has been such an obvious problem. Buying a striker for anything under 10m might prove to have been very cheap at the price if goal difference plays a part in our destinty. How many points available between now and the next window? That's what we're talking about here really, so finger crossed Charlie stays fit and on song. And that Vargas settles.

Comment

So far as I could tell, we tried quite hard to bring in one more striker. We landed Vargas, which gives us 3. The only thing we didn't do was repeat the same mistakes of previous windows and bring in players who clearly don't want to play for us on twice as much money as they would be worth even if they did!

We all know that we need another striker. It isn't news to us, Harry, or Tony.
            'Only a Ranger!' cried Gandalf. 'My dear Frodo, that is just what the Rangers are: the last remnant in the South of the great people, the Men of West London.' - Lord of the Rings, Book II, Chapter I - Many Meetings.

Comment

Originally posted by dsqpr View Post
              So far as I could tell, we tried quite hard to bring in one more striker. We landed Vargas, which gives us 3. The only thing we didn't do was repeat the same mistakes of previous windows and bring in players who clearly don't want to play for us on twice as much money as they would be worth even if they did!

We all know that we need another striker. It isn't news to us, Harry, or Tony.

Spot on.

Comment

Originally posted by stainrodisalegend View Post
                I agree that is was almost inevitable Remy would go at the last minute, when he / his agent could drive the best deal for him. The owners were naïve to think he'd stay when the clause was hanging over us like a cloud. For that reason they should've tried to secure a striker earlier, but it's damaned if they do damned if they don't though.... they could've got someone on decent wages only for Remy not to leave, then we're top heavy. They waited and alas two options fell through. Having read the stuff since im glad we didn't buckle for Borini, and Defoe likely in Jan.

Ultimately though, regardless we only have 3 strikers, I don't buy into the opinion were "proper screwed", because we do have players more than capable of scoring and creating chances at this level. Blimey, Spurs game aside, in fact including the SPurs game, we have created loads of chances so far so im confident now Charlie's off the mark he will go on from strength to strength, and once others get off the mark they will become more confident also and we'll start converting more chances.

Also Vargas I feel could (Could) potentially be a revelation and unknown quantity and prove a real gem for us. Very lively, tricky, quick and can score goals... im hoping he could have similar effect on us as someone like Kinkladze back in the day for City, but time will tell.

Comment

We are thin of proven EPL strikers no matter how you want to spin this! As long as Austin proves he can do the business at this level and Vargas turns out to be the real deal, we could be OK, of course this is assuming they stay healthy, I'm sure Harry has thought this over and has a plan if things aren't going as well as expected!
                  @gatorTFC

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Mcleod View Post
                    Defoe = Plan A
                    Borini = Plan B
                    No Plan C.
                    Defoe = the only plan we ever had.
                    Borini was JUST a deal we thought we could hijack, I bet we just went for it at the last minute when we were desperate.

We should have had an emergency option, even if it's someone young/untested.

Comment

Originally posted by Geng View Post
                      Ouch. Great stat digging, expect it to be countered with the usual cliches though.
                      some of those appearances could quite easily have been 1-10 mins as a sub, so I wouldn't take a great deal of notice tbh.

I do recall Hoilett scored a few at Blackburn, Phillips at Blackpool, Mutch & Caulker at Cardiff, Barton and Fer have also managed Premiership goals. We know that Taarabt can also chip in with a handful of goals

Vargas is unknown at this level, but scores on average around 1 in 3 or 4 games. Zamora scored 5 when QPR got relegated and was injured for around half a season .

Between them I like to think they are capable of scoring a minimum of 20-25 goals plus whatever Austin manages. It's not a huge amount, but could be enough to earn 30 more points, but if Defoe is signed in January he could score some goals to ensure that survival is not out of reach.

As I mentioned before, under Redknapp, QPR have often failed to score, but equally have not always been easy to score against, stealing a few 0-0 draws an the occasional 1-0 win.

Barring injuries, QPR are better equipped in attack now than they were when getting relegated in 2013. So whilst I am disappointed that they didn't bring in Defoe or another striker (pleased it wasn't Borini on a permanent deal - a loan would have been ok), I am not too despondent.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Mcleod View Post
                        Defoe = Plan A
                        Borini = Plan B
                        No Plan C.
                        That's not entirely true. Plan C was to remember we still have Taarabt and then pretend that he was always going to play as a striker for us and hope the fans don't realise
                        'The problem with quotes on the internet is you don't know if they are authentic' - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Bring back Will Keane.

Comment

Originally posted by QPRDave View Post
                            Talking of the early 90s....i can remember one summer(no windows then) when Rangers were the only club not to buy or sell anyone. We rarely dabbled in the market, as Thompson
                            didn't want to spend any money...........some on here would've had a coronary!...
                            We didn't have these messageboards to post onto, just the fanzines to write to, and I suspect many couldn't be bothered to do that!

Comment

As we all know we are on quite a tight budget and without the money from Remy I doubt we could have bought another striker. Was he likely to go.... yes, could we move seriously on another forward until he did? Maybe not.

We all know how much we have thought players would definitely leave (salad) in a transfer window and they didn't, maybe TF and the gang couldn't risk spending more money on another expensive and well paid striker until Remy has actually gone, who knows how these European spending cap penalties will effect us come end of this year?
                              COME ON YOU RRRRSSS

Comment

Originally posted by winalotto View Post
                                Mid nineties we were relegated mate, early nineties we were a blinding side to watch , not sure if you remember it well, top London side, Ferdinand , Sinclair, Sinton, Gallen,a Rock at the back, Bardsley , Wilson fulll backs, no need to spend to much really eh ?
                                the team in the early 90s was a very talented side managed by Francis who at the time was a very good manager and coach. Until Thompson and Marsh got together and he was forced to quit. The downhill slide began a year after Francis quit.

Who knows where QPR would be now. Perhaps Abramovitch would have gone on to invest in QPR instead of Chelsea.

Comment

Working...
                                X