The Feeling I Get From Talking To Fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Feeling I Get From Talking To Fans

I wondered before what would make a fan chant " we want our Rangers back" and I always considered it a chant that mean't they would like to go back to the dark days. I've spoken to a few fans about this and for me it goes a bit deeper than that. No-one is suggesting ( i think) that for a brand we are making good progress off the pitch and have players at the club that we could have only wished for 3 years ago, but I get the sense its more than that.

That underdog feeling has gone. A game against Nottingham Forest or Plymouth 2-3 years ago we would have been happy with a draw. Now, our expectations are so much higher, when we don't get the wins, fans get despondant. I cannot put my finger on it quite yet, but Saturday seems more a place to meet up with friends now as opposed to actually watching the games. Going back a couple of years ago, if we beat Preston at home whilst struggling against relegation, it gave the fans a sense of unity, now after almost 2 years of the takeover, I get the sense fans are not happy. We are paying more, new players have come into the club and with that expectations are higher and when they don't come off it makes a number more angry. I can see what the club are trying to do, but its a results business and by finishing 11th last season and not starting off well this season, its got fans saying "same old". First game of the season we around 15,000 versus Blackpool, we seem to have lost 1,500-2,000 fans within 2 weeks, when you consider that Forest brought more than Blackpool.

I make the comparisons with the old FA CUp finals and even to a degree the early cup rounds, which often had a underdog appear in the final. Everyone was on the side of the underdog and with that you knew the players would give 100% and when they won, it would make those fans ecstatic. You never expected to win, so when you did fans grouped together. We go into practically every game expecting to win, which itself brings added pressure to both players and fans.

What has not helped is 4 year forecasts, with that expectation rises. Before, we knew we would be struggling, but players tried and thats all fans asked for. They may not have the greatest players in the world, but it was blood, sweat, determination over money. Its hard to weigh up, but sometimes in life if you have something to prove you exceed expectations, with some players now in the comfort zone for me its a matter of some just turning up. The first year we got promoted into the championship we finished a little higher than we did last season, when we did not have the money. We won 7 games on the spin that season, because our backs were against the walls after a poor start. The point, I am trying to make is when everyone is comfortable, then you take everyday as it is, turn up for training, play your games win or lose no real pressure. Even as early as 3-4 years ago, players had something to prove to the fans and we all knew that many players were not the best, but they put in a shift, thats want the majority of fans mean when they sing "we want our rangers back"

I'm just wondering with it being so comfortable now whether we get the same kind of commitment from all the players.
    ALL BEST BANTER AND ALL THE LATEST FROM QPR.
    THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

I think you could be right.

There's a general consensus it seems with opposing fans that we're not underdogs anymore as well.

All you need to do is read the first issue of this seasons When Saturday Comes. A lot of other fans actually dont like is and I think a lot of our own fans feel the same.
    Running the London Marathon for the Down's Syndrome Association....

Visit my charity page here

Comment

Agree with most of that.Expectations have been raised to unachievable levels-well,unachievable without huge investment,which does not appear to be forthcoming.maybe it's time for us all to have a reality check and accept how far we have come.

Comment

Originally posted by qblockpete View Post
        A game against Nottingham Forest or Plymouth 2-3 years ago we would have been happy with a draw. Now, our expectations are so much higher....
        The club has been appalingly managed... we have these expectations because we are the most expensive to watch in the whole league, and the owners have talked up the "future project" so much.

In comparison to the outlay by the fans, and the big words of the owners, they HAVE spent very little.

Comment

that was an interesting and forthright chat we had after the game yesterday pete,which was very enjoyable.i think most of us have been guilty of over expectation if were honest with ourselves.its only natural for supporters of a club that was having its coffin lid nailed on to react this way with the financial clout our owners have.iv'e said it before and will probably say it again that if you don't speculate you don't accumulate.they wont make any money on the crowds we get so they simply have to go out and get that striker to give us the edge we desperately need.we have the creation without the cutting edge,i suppose you could liken it to a eunuch getting a hard on,not much use to anyone really.i wouldn't go down the sack magilton route either,just look at the start ipswich have had under the much touted mr keane.
          what the hell was god thinking of when he thought of hamsters?

Comment

How far we have come???

You're kidding!

Football wise - worse position than the Holloway/Power/Zanotti leadership left us in.

Finance wise - bleeding wages, ownership of ground removed and we're still in hock. Albeit to Briatore and Bhatia rather than Caliendo and Zanotti but to far greater extent.

The Club has no relationship with the fanbase and increased season ticket prices to unsustainable levels for a huge number of supporters for a team of massive wage earners that are failing to get us any higher in the table than the likes of George Santos, Richard Johnson and Arthur Gnohere did.

I truly fail to see how we are better off (aside from a lick of paint). Could someone enlighten me?

Remembering that we still owe lots and lots of cash - just to a different person.

NB - If Briatore walked would this be different to when Zanotti walked??

Yes - IMO as the debts incurred by this administration would kill us whereas previously GP/Zanotti and Caliendo kept, relatively, within their means

Comment

Originally posted by rblockells View Post
              Agree with most of that.Expectations have been raised to unachievable levels-well,unachievable without huge investment,which does not appear to be forthcoming.maybe it's time for us all to have a reality check and accept how far we have come.
              i agree apart from the huge investment levels, you only have to look at hte club as a whole to see how much investment has been made since the bucket shaking days of a few years ago. The over expectation has come from over excited fans putting 2 +2 togehter and making 5.

i agree the ticket pricing has raised the expectation levels, the champions league quote is the typical tub thumping any new owners come out with, i heard similar things coming out of notts county a few weeks back. but fans have chosen to ignore any thing coming out of the club regarding the running it as a business, and not throwing good money after bad.

as i see it, we all sang sign him up about helgusson , cook, routledge et al and the club duely did so. we all got excited a bout tarabbt and he was got, we all wanted some manager with championship experience not some "foreign" jonny who knew nothing about this league and we got that too.

it appears that the fans have changed and ithink we do need to take stock as to how far we have come. magilton probably doesn't know his best side yet , many players vine, and buzz are coming baclk from pretty serious injuries and are still way off the pace.

booing a side that drew with a side that have spent way more than us. there was not one player on the forest side that i would have had in hoops yesterday.

support the team but also support the club!

Comment

Originally posted by Nodge70 View Post
                How far we have come???

You're kidding!

Football wise - worse position than the Holloway/Power/Zanotti leadership left us in.

Finance wise - bleeding wages, ownership of ground removed and we're still in hock. Albeit to Briatore and Bhatia rather than Caliendo and Zanotti but to far greater extent.

The Club has no relationship with the fanbase and increased season ticket prices to unsustainable levels for a huge number of supporters for a team of massive wage earners that are failing to get us any higher in the table than the likes of George Santos, Richard Johnson and Arthur Gnohere did.

I truly fail to see how we are better off (aside from a lick of paint). Could someone enlighten me?

Remembering that we still owe lots and lots of cash - just to a different person.

Yes - IMO as the debts incurred by this administration would kill us whereas previously GP/Zanotti and Caliendo kept, relatively, within their means
                Well at least now we can afford to buy players, better than what we had, and now we don't have administration looming over us.

Comment

Im guessing this is why JM is useing squad rotation massively to try and get the players playing again with a point to prove!...

Things just arnt clicking at the moment, but i do believe when we get that first win we will build on it!..
                  Cant believe it, ive been PWOPER MUGGED ORF...

Comment

Originally posted by qpr-buzsaky View Post
                    Well at least now we can afford to buy players, better than what we had, and now we don't have administration looming over us.
                    But we can't afford them - as we've seen this summer window! And what's the point of buying allegedly better players when they simply can't improve on the league position delivered by Kevin McLeod, Jamie Cureton and Adam Bolder?

Comment

Originally posted by 3London View Post

there was not one player on the forest side that i would have had in hoops yesterday!
                      I'd start with McGoldrick, Adebola and Mckenna

Comment

Originally posted by Nodge70 View Post
                        How far we have come???

You're kidding!

great shout old son..............i was happier skint but 'united' than the current so call 'wealthy' club ( ROLLS EYES) we are claimed to be!!!
                        you know nothing john snow!!!!

Comment

Thats where we differ, I think to a degree we can afford them. We are not going to go overboard about fees, club very rarely offers a player signing on fee and you have to cap wages. The clubs with parachute payments will be able to offer better wages. Players nowadays will go to clubs for the wages on offer. I cannot see how with getting 13,000 crowds we can justify bringing in two players on premiership wages and paying them 25-30k. Whatever negatives we have about Flavio, no denying he has ploughed money in on and off the pitch, with that brings higher expectations. We are not delivering.

You build teams and to be fair thats what we have done. Last January we brought in many players, we have not matched that since, but I really do believe if we are within touching distance of the top 6 early Jan, we will get in a number of players again. Problem is for whatever reason we've not done well since that Jan through to April.
                          THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

Comment

Originally posted by qblockpete View Post
                            Thats where we differ, I think to a degree we can afford them. We are not going to go overboard about fees, club very rarely offers a player signing on fee and you have to cap wages. The clubs with parachute payments will be able to offer better wages. Players nowadays will go to clubs for the wages on offer. I cannot see how with getting 13,000 crowds we can justify bringing in two players on premiership wages and paying them 25-30k. Whatever negatives we have about Flavio, no denying he has ploughed money in on and off the pitch, with that brings higher expectations. We are not delivering.

You build teams and to be fair thats what we have done. Last January we brought in many players, we have not matched that since, but I really do believe if we are within touching distance of the top 6 early Jan, we will get in a number of players again. Problem is for whatever reason we've not done well since that Jan through to April.

'touching distance of top six in january'.......pmsl.............ffs pete...................january of which year old son................cos it aint gonna be 2010!!!!
                            you know nothing john snow!!!!

Comment

A bit of knee jerk reaction, we have only played 4 games.

Would not dispute fans seemed happier before.

Comment

Working...
                              X