Least successful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Least successful

No disrespect to anyone, but I'm interested in who you think was our least successful manager, and why. We've plenty of choice!

There have been a couple of people in my time who have looked totally, utterly out of their depth. Much as I loved the bloke, the last days of the bald eagle were pretty catastrophic, wheels right off....Of managers who have had more than 10 games, Bill Dodgin had an awful time (12.5% WR) but he was sandwiched between a god and a legend (kind of). And remember, it's hard enough to manage without the rantings of egomaniacs and lunatics in the boardroom, which is why I've hesitated to name more recent candidates...

So who would you vote for? LISTING
    Last edited by hal9thou; 01-09-2012, 01:25 AM.

Hart.

Comment

Steve Burtenshaw over saw some terrible times

Comment

Tommy Docherty,didnt like being spat on at Luton,mind you that was some phelm !!!!

Comment

Ray Harford seem the obvious choice.

Comment

Wilkins, Houston and Burtenshaw all pishpoor as was The Doc.
            #standuptocancer
            #inyourfacecancer

Comment

Wilkins....
              "When you went to the corner and saw our fans celebrating the way they were you just wanted to be part of it" - Shaun Derry after we beat the scum 1-0

Comment

Originally posted by QPRDave View Post
                Steve Burtenshaw over saw some terrible times
                good call, awful win percentage 14.6% from 40+ games and we still had some useful players.

post war managers with a win % > 50% (at least 15 games in charge): just one and its some record.

TERRY VENABLES 166 GAMES 84 WINS W% 50.6

That equates to four seasons including cup runs.

In today's terms thats 285 points = 71 points per season (inc cup runs which stats wise makes it tricky, but you get the drift). Awesome. No one else comes anywhere near.

At the other end of the scale: Ray Harford's 12.2 win % is the lowest. Stats wise you're looking at Harford and Burtenshaw because they had enough games for stats to be meaningful. I'd say Burtenshaw simply because the club was more settled than when Harford was at the tiller.

I had the impression both were totally out of their depth from day one, meaning the finger has to be pointed at whoever appointed them.
                Last edited by hal9thou; 01-09-2012, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Will M View Post
                  Ray Harford seem the obvious choice.
                  Yes. Yes he does.

Comment

In more re ent times there was something particularly wretched about Sousa.

Comment

In recent years I would say Paul Hart. Absolutely woeful and astonishingly negative in his tactical outlook. The only manager I have seen play two sets of full-backs.

Comment

Alan Mullery. Destroyed Venables' team, utterly inept manager.

I don't recall the last days of Jim Smith being that bad; the season before he introduced a formation that took the whole league by surprise then he was approached by Newcastle.

Comment

Originally posted by NLondonHoop View Post
                          I don't recall the last days of Jim Smith being that bad; the season before he introduced a formation that took the whole league by surprise then he was approached by Newcastle.
                          Always possible its a faulty memory but I seem to recall a marked deterioration which was really depressing at the time. As I said, overall he was much admired.

I'm tempted to compare Hughes away stats with some of the above but I'm not going to do that ;)

Comment

Originally posted by The Godfather View Post
                            In recent years I would say Paul Hart. Absolutely woeful and astonishingly negative
                            That was just horrendous, you really wonder sometimes how these people end up being the guv'nor. Dark times.

Comment

Originally posted by hal9thou View Post
                              good call, awful win percentage 14.6% from 40+ games and we still had some useful players.

post war managers with a win % > 50% (at least 15 games in charge): just one and its some record.

TERRY VENABLES 166 GAMES 84 WINS W% 50.6

That equates to four seasons including cup runs.

In today's terms thats 285 points = 71 points per season (inc cup runs which stats wise makes it tricky, but you get the drift). Awesome. No one else comes anywhere near.

At the other end of the scale: Ray Harford's 12.2 win % is the lowest. Stats wise you're looking at Harford and Burtenshaw because they had enough games for stats to be meaningful. I'd say Burtenshaw simply because the club was more settled than when Harford was at the tiller.

I had the impression both were totally out of their depth from day one, meaning the finger has to be pointed at whoever appointed them.
                              Yeah mate still had the remnants of the great side maybe a little older although Mclintock, Webb, Masson, Givens, and Thomas had gone and I think Parkes was sold that season too.

Comment

Working...
                              X