I wish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wish

We could have given a proper send off for the boys that got us up.

I know the Championship winning side has and continues to be dismantled and I understand the reasons for this but it saddens me that for most of that great team, we as fans haven't had a proper opportunity to bid farewell to any of the players or even the management and staff that got us up.

I know players and staff have gone in circumstances that isn't conducive for them to have a farewell, it's not like players or management and fans knew they were going to leave during the season so that we had a game or two to cheer them on their way.

It's just the championship winning team was as a team one of the best teams I've seen seen at Loftus Road for at least 17 years, the way we won that league, some great memories and wonderful football. All done against the odds, the way the players and management just united about AF saga, during that season not one rumour that the team was divided or internal wrangling that weaker teams would have had. Players could easily have turned on each other with all the pressure the club was under but everyone stood as one and then that beautiful morning for the Leeds home game and the news broke.

I know some will say f*** the past but historically it was so important for us both by allowing adecent owner to invest and opening the door of premiership money. Only with the past were we able to build our future and that past was achieved by a noble few, I accept some of those thrived last year and will remain next season but for others that have left quietly and with dignity with their heads held high we never as a fan base were ever able to say thank you and good bye and that to me is slightly sad.:no-waigif::no-waigif:

Know how you feel mate. A real shame.

Comment

its curtains for those chaps and tally-ho onto greater things. time to only remember the great times. attack,attack...attack,attack,attack!!!
      PRIDE OF LONDON.

Comment

prob get shot down by some for even mentioning its name but the guardian runs a v gd column on saturdays called the secret footballer. its basically a diary of a high level pro, written anonymously. one of the points he makes is that at every club he's ever played at, come the end of the season all the players say "see you next season, mate" but really they know that many of them they will never play with again, or maybe even ever see again. he just says its one of the things you accept as a pro football player. i hear what you are saying about that squad and the spirit it had but better to look back on a past team fondly than with head in hands as many of us do the john curtis/ marcus bean squad.

Comment

Good post, and yeah I agree it is a shame we can't thank them all as a fanbase. None of us (I hope!) will ever forget QPR from the 10/11 season. Wonder if someone could put a video together about every player that contributed to our success that year, maybe they'll see it?
          "When you went to the corner and saw our fans celebrating the way they were you just wanted to be part of it" - Shaun Derry after we beat the scum 1-0

Comment

Agree with you mate
            QPR fan since1987

@yousef_qpr

Comment

They certainly deserved something (a lot) more than what they got.....Winners parade SHOULD have been done for them at the very least !!

Important part of our history now.

Comment

Originally posted by TBLOCKRANGER View Post
                We could have given a proper send off for the boys that got us up.

I know the Championship winning side has and continues to be dismantled and I understand the reasons for this but it saddens me that for most of that great team, we as fans haven't had a proper opportunity to bid farewell to any of the players or even the management and staff that got us up.

I know players and staff have gone in circumstances that isn't conducive for them to have a farewell, it's not like players or management and fans knew they were going to leave during the season so that we had a game or two to cheer them on their way.

It's just the championship winning team was as a team one of the best teams I've seen seen at Loftus Road for at least 17 years, the way we won that league, some great memories and wonderful football. All done against the odds, the way the players and management just united about AF saga, during that season not one rumour that the team was divided or internal wrangling that weaker teams would have had. Players could easily have turned on each other with all the pressure the club was under but everyone stood as one and then that beautiful morning for the Leeds home game and the news broke.

I know some will say f*** the past but historically it was so important for us both by allowing adecent owner to invest and opening the door of premiership money. Only with the past were we able to build our future and that past was achieved by a noble few, I accept some of those thrived last year and will remain next season but for others that have left quietly and with dignity with their heads held high we never as a fan base were ever able to say thank you and good bye and that to me is slightly sad.:no-waigif::no-waigif:
                That's what a parade would have been for

Comment

Originally posted by W12_Ranger View Post
                  That's what a parade would have been for
                  Yes certainly looking back I didn't realise the full consequence of not having a parade. However much of the championship team managed to survive the cull of the last summer, it just seems over the year players/staff have gone at various times but circumstances have dictated we could never as a fan base said farewell to any of them.For eg if we had been like say Swansea and were safe a number of games prior to the end of the season, a few players may have been told they were surplus to requirements and off in the summer, then a farewell to individual players could have been done during the season. However as a club we are always chaotic and we have to make it hard for ourselves this season with the panic take over, change of manager, appearing doomed by march and survival on the last minutes of the season, all added up to us
                  not having an opportunity IMHO to be able to say farewell to a single one of our championship winning players/staff.

My thread isn't intended as a criticsm of not having a parade or of how players have left but simply my feeling as to how
                  strange it is how I don't think I've applauded a single one of our winning squad off when over the years I've said farewell
                  to a number of players that have done a lot less.

What brought it about for me was the talk of players coming in and players such as Kenny (who gave so much) going out.

Anyway upwards and onwards, I suppose the 4 year plan was a great epitaph to a wonderful season
                  Last edited by TBLOCKRANGER; 15-06-2012, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X