Ryan Nelsen set for QPR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hal9thou View Post
    We can make all the excuses we want, but Nelson is what, 35? Harry had him a while back and pace goes fast when you get to your mid 30s.

Nelson, Johnson - ageing journeymen, and by the way, no transfer is ever really free.

I don't want the club to make unrealistic signings at inflated prices, but I'd sooner bring in fresh young blood and give that a go then plug gaps caused by other mediocre signings.
    I think Clint has proved pace isn't the be all and end all though mate

Comment

Originally posted by Rsonist View Post
      All a question of balance I suppose.

There's two extremes in people's minds when it comes to transfers these days: on one hand West Ham a few years ago (and still today) lashing out huge contracts on Premiership "experience", and on the other Newcastle last season doing their research and finding canny bargains from abroad. Or Bartons versus Diakites if you like.

Nelsen I don't think is a mercenary sort to be fair - a good honest experienced pro, solid backup and certainly the sort of bloke you want next to Ferdinand or Onuoha. Trouble is, I thought that's what we already had in Clint Hill.

With the 25 man squad rule however there's only so much "backup" you can have before you realise someone has to be considered first team. Ferdinand, Nelsen, Onuoha, Hill suggests to me there'll be no Chris Samba this summer unfortunately.

It could be that Hughes' international recruitment strategy is taking a back seat this summer.
      First 2 paragraphs make alot of sense mate. I do however think that we will be signing another centre half this summer. Clint and Nelsen as back up, another younger centre half to partner Anton.

Comment

Originally posted by hal9thou View Post
        We can make all the excuses we want, but Nelson is what, 35? Harry had him a while back and pace goes fast when you get to your mid 30s.

Nelson, Johnson - ageing journeymen, and by the way, no transfer is ever really free.

I don't want the club to make unrealistic signings at inflated prices, but I'd sooner bring in fresh young blood and give that a go then plug gaps caused by other mediocre signings.
        34. Just a young whipper snapper.
        You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by MattyRangers View Post
          34. Just a young whipper snapper.
          Plenty of years ahead of him.

Comment

A Blackburn supporting friend of mine says Nelsen is still a very good player, forced out in January as the Venky's couldn't afford him. Excellent signing on a free by all accounts.

Comment

Originally posted by Rsonist View Post
              All a question of balance I suppose.

There's two extremes in people's minds when it comes to transfers these days: on one hand West Ham a few years ago (and still today) lashing out huge contracts on Premiership "experience", and on the other Newcastle last season doing their research and finding canny bargains from abroad. Or Bartons versus Diakites if you like.

Nelsen I don't think is a mercenary sort to be fair - a good honest experienced pro, solid backup and certainly the sort of bloke you want next to Ferdinand or Onuoha. Trouble is, I thought that's what we already had in Clint Hill.

With the 25 man squad rule however there's only so much "backup" you can have before you realise someone has to be considered first team. Ferdinand, Nelsen, Onuoha, Hill suggests to me there'll be no Chris Samba this summer unfortunately.

It could be that Hughes' international recruitment strategy is taking a back seat this summer.
              Interesting post, the Hammers fans I know (all two of them ;) ) are seriously concerned by their transfromation into a rest home for old Bolton pros. People like Sam and Colin and now Hughes go for that old pro, experienced hands stuff as the first port of call. It works in the championship a treat. But at higher level you need some pace from somewhere otherwise you'll struggle.

Comment

Originally posted by QPRDave View Post
                I think Clint has proved pace isn't the be all and end all though mate
                I agree. The greatest centre back England has ever produced, Sir Bobby Moore, wasn't a quick player, but could read the game well and knew where to be at the right time. The same goes for the likes of Tony Adams and Terry Butcher.
                Supporting QPR isn't just about a football team. It's about roots and identity.

Comment

I would assume, unless we sign another centreback, that Hill and Nelsen would be cover for Anton and Nedum and Fabio will be our rightback.

Comment

Originally posted by theblackmafia. View Post
                    I would assume, unless we sign another centreback, that Hill and Nelsen would be cover for Anton and Nedum and Fabio will be our rightback.
                    I reckon itll be (from R to L): Nedum Anton *new signing* Fabio and we'll play Traore left wing.
                    You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by theblackmafia. View Post
                      i'm hoping we sign another CB as others have said previously not sure about Ned in that position

Comment

Hughes seeks defensive steel with Nelsen reunion

For the second time in his managerial career Mark Hughes has turned to New Zealand international captain Ryan Nelsen to add experience and leadership to his backline.

More...

Comment

Working...
                        X