No announcement yet.

What was the penalty for???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I and those around me originally thought he's given it for handball (even though we couldn't see a handball). Seeing the pen on the BBC last night it was a collision and not a foul by Connolly. The only Burnley player I saw appeal was Illumo (sic) and the linesman never flagged for it.

The Ref had a very poor game today and it was stop/start all the way through. Laws was right to take Eagles off as he was lucky not to have been sent off earlier when he left his foot in on Connolly and then fouled Taraabt, but the Ref bottled it.

The BBC showed nothing of our chances in the 2nd half and I thought we should have nicked it.

Comment

I didn't think it looked too different from the penalty we were awarded against Middlesbrough. Two players coming together and one falls quite easily and the ref points to the spot. Without that penalty against Middlesbrough the result could have been different so in fairness although I didn't think it was a stonewall yesterday it was bound to happen at some point that we'd get a similar one against us.

Comment

Once again an inept ref cost us 3 points inconsistence and pathetic, any one know where they park their cars lol!!
        oh well that was fun

Comment

Originally posted by DODSKI View Post
          Once again an inept ref cost us 3 points inconsistence and pathetic, any one know where they park their cars lol!!
          A mate of mine who works for Addison Lee says a lot of them are taken to grounds by them. For that reason.
          Queens Park Rangers
          NPower Champions 2010/2011

PREMIER LEAGUE 2011 - ETERNITY (Oh well got that wrong, we'll be back though)

Comment

Originally posted by 80sCasual View Post
            A mate of mine who works for Addison Lee says a lot of them are taken to grounds by them. For that reason.
            i bet they are .... don't blame them really i would not want their job lol .... could help themselves with being consistent though.
            oh well that was fun

Comment

Originally posted by sirpiechucker View Post
              I didn't think it looked too different from the penalty we were awarded against Middlesbrough. Two players coming together and one falls quite easily and the ref points to the spot. Without that penalty against Middlesbrough the result could have been different so in fairness although I didn't think it was a stonewall yesterday it was bound to happen at some point that we'd get a similar one against us.

A very considered response as usual Sirpie.

Very easy to make mistakes in situations like that, but in all honesty, he should never have given it unless absolutely sure, but perhaps there was no doubt in his mind.

Generally speaking, he had a game to forget, which is a shame because I have known Iain for about 15 years now and can assure you all he is a good guy.

Funnily enough, whilst en route from KFC to the Crown & Sceptre with a mate, I gave him a quick call. After exchanging the usual pleasantries, although probably going a little OTT about how much older he is looking these days, I pointed out to him much to my mate's amusement, that if Adel was to go down in the area, then he should be giving us a penalty, as Adel doesn't dive!! I was watching with eager anticipation as Adel crumbled under a challenge on the edge of the area, but alas, to no avail.

Very disappointed with the penalty as it was about as soft as is possible to be. A genuine mistake though. Of that I have no doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by brightonr View Post
                A very considered response as usual Sirpie.

Very easy to make mistakes in situations like that, but in all honesty, he should never have given it unless absolutely sure, but perhaps there was no doubt in his mind.

Generally speaking, he had a game to forget, which is a shame because I have known Iain for about 15 years now and can assure you all he is a good guy.

Funnily enough, whilst en route from KFC to the Crown & Sceptre with a mate, I gave him a quick call. After exchanging the usual pleasantries, although probably going a little OTT about how much older he is looking these days, I pointed out to him much to my mate's amusement, that if Adel was to go down in the area, then he should be giving us a penalty, as Adel doesn't dive!! I was watching with eager anticipation as Adel crumbled under a challenge on the edge of the area, but alas, to no avail.

Very disappointed with the penalty as it was about as soft as is possible to be. A genuine mistake though. Of that I have no doubt.
                I've seen the replay since I wrote that and I still can't see too much difference between the contact Marney received and the one we were awarded. What I don't understand is why Connolly wasn't booked for the "foul". Surely (and this is nothing against this particular referee) but if a penalty has been awarded for what is perceived as a deliberate foul then shouldn't that player get booked? If a keeper brings down a player he gets sent off but why didn't Connolly get booked? What is so different from a keeper bringing down a player then what happened between Connolly and Marney? The referee to give a penalty obviously believes the contact is deliberate so shouldn't Connolly be punished?

Also if Eagles dived and was booked for his simulation then why wasn't Taraabt when he fell to ground in the penalty box? If the referee does not believe that the player was fouled then the player to fall to the ground must be trying to cheat the ref and therefore deserves to be booked? It is either a penalty or simulation but the ref gave neither.

I thought the ref had a poor game because the moment he pulled up one indiscretion he had to pull up the next and the next. Iwelumo and Hulse are both as bad as each other but by penalising them or penalising in their favour against a defender it stops the game from flowing. We all know they will be climbed all over and we all know that they will climb all over other players but to blow up every single time ruins the match. Football is a contact sport played between grown men and some jossling is expected but to blow up the moment a player makes contact with another ruined any chance of free flowing football.

Comment

does every foul have to recieve a booking then?
                  i think it was given for getting in his way and causing him to go over, enough to be deemed a penalty, but not enough to deserve a booking.
                  Last edited by G.T.P; 01-11-2010, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by G.T.P View Post
                    If the referee believes that Connolly deliberately brought down his man to stop him from scoring a goal shouldn't this warrant a yellow card? If it were the other end everybody would argue why their man didn't receive a booking.

Robson was booked for bringing Helguson down when we played Middlesbrough.

I, of course don't want our players to get booked but by the letter of the law the referee IMO should have booked both Connolly and Taraabt and by not doing so further highlighted his inability to keep a grip on the game.

Comment

Originally posted by G.T.P View Post
                      i think it was given for getting in his way and causing him to go over, enough to be deemed a penalty, but not enough to deserve a booking.
                      So why do goal keepers who make genuine attempts to play the ball but bring players down get sent off? Isn't this the same as getting in his way and causing him to go down. At best a goal keeper will be booked for bringing a player down but on many occassions it will be deemed a sending off offence.

Comment

Working...
                      X