The Wage Cap Argument

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wage Cap Argument

Repeatedly the subject of our rumoured wage cap keeps coming up so I'd thought I'd ask what the facts really are and what people believe a club of our size should spend?

I don't have any proof but it was heavily hinted that Owen Coyle left Burnley because of their refusal to break the wage cap to sign Nugent on a permanent deal. Burnley don't pay anyone more than £15k pw and Nugent is on £30k pw. Having read the Pompey accounts when it was released in the Guardian it didn't state the exact figure Nugent was being paid by Portsmouth but having seen the some of money they paid other players it won't be surprise me if Nugent is on as much as £30k pw. Arguably Burnley's refusal to spend more on players that £15k pw led to their downfall because they didn't sign the quality required to stay up. However they have probably secured their financial future for many years to come.

The year Burnley were promoted to the Premiership they averaged a smaller gate than we did and don't have billionnaire owners but were able to gain promotion on similar resources to what we have. Blackpool have an even smaller budget than we do and once again they've proven promotion is possible without spending big. We will wait and see whether they can stay in the Premiership but for now they are in a better position than we are and I have no doubt spend a lot less on salaries than we do.

I've no idea of the exact figure we spend on salaries but there is always and argument for having fewer players in the squad of a higher quality rather than lots of players of a lesser quality. Our problem is that we spent a lot of money on the likes of Hall, Agyemang, Vine etc at the beginning of the "project" making it hard to ship players out because other clubs won't pay equivalent salaries. Hopefully if we can ship out 8 or 9 players we can spend the equivalent money on just 2 or 3 players.

Lots and lots of teams have gone up to the Premiership and have been subsequently relegated in the following few seasons. Although the Premiership has been going since the early 90s I believe it really became a money driven business rather than a sporting competition when Abramovich bought Chelsea. Since then small sides promoted from the Championship have struggled to compete and correct me if I'm wrong but only Wigan have been able to maintain their Premiership status year after year without having being bought out by a foreign billionnaire. Can we exist if we spend £20k+ per player per week? Or is there no point in existing if you can't compete? To compete £20k+ is peanuts but to a team with an average home gate of 13K is not peanuts.

So should we bow down to someone like James Beattie and do everything we can to compete or do we follow the likes of Burnley and Blackpool and take a risk that we might have enough if we get there?

I think we should reconsider it. But I will comment more on this later on.
    QPR
    Best team in the world
    Sort of

Comment

That's the big question and we are not the only club in this situation, something needs to change and quick.

Players today play for the love of money, not for the love of the sport or game. There must be other means of looking at this game and trying to work out what works best for club and player, we don't want football clubs to go bust and we will see many more go under.

The game needs to be slightly changed so it's not just the top 4 teams competing and by doing so it may help bring the best out of our young British players.

If there was a wage cap and a player refused to play, let him go find a full time job in the real world, he'll soon come back.

Comment

I'm all in favour of wage caps as it avoids disharmony in the squad with egotistical players getting above their station and demanding a higher wage to match a fellow pros salary because they were voted into The Suns, Team of the Week 3 weeks in a row for example. Personally I'm in favour of performance related bonuses instead.

When we analyse our own situation its extremely difficult to ignore the general incompetance of the individual (Gianni Paladini) who was handling salary negotiations and contracts. It was that corrupt Italian Spiv which has landed us in a situation where we have a load of highly paid donkeys on long term contracts which we can't seem to get of the wage bill at present.

Taking into consideration the example of Burnley who I have a lot of admiration for sticking to their rigid wage cap are now in a stronger financial position than what they could have ever hope for a couple of seasons ago. They may yo yo like West Brom a little but they should now have a sound financial footing for the next 5 years if they don't get promoted to PL. On the plus side they also have something to build upon from last season. I have always advocated a short stint in the PL followed by another instant promotion with minimal outlay on transfer fees and wages thats when you can think about raising your wage cap.

Now with regards to our situation should we follow Burnleys example? Absolutely, but long term investing in youth is also key to running a successful football club and thats why it was so important to get Warnock to our club and Paladini out of then way to lay those foundations for the future. If we start developing quality youth players it will be far easier in the future to nuture them and prevent them as best as possible from listening parasitic agents. A football education at youth level should also bring about an understanding of football finances. Lets educate the next generation of footballers, we only have to highlight the failure of the England Team and point them in the direction of sordid tabloid headlines. Footballers need to wise up to the global economic situation as well and clubs need to refuse to meet their wage demands and not be held to ranson. Winning/PL Status isn't everything , for the English game financial stability and survival is now more important for the majority of clubs. More clubs need to follow Burnleys lead and start sticking 2 fingers up at greedy players, its only a matter of time before something gives and there will not be enough money to go around to meet all these players wage demands and its not far away IMO.
        Last edited by W12_Ranger; 03-07-2010, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by W12_Ranger View Post
          I'm all in favour of wage caps as it avoids disharmony in the squad with egotistical players getting above their station and demanding a higher wage to match a fellow pros salary because they were voted into The Suns, Team of the Week 3 weeks in a row for example. Personally I'm in favour of performance related bonuses instead.

When we analyse our own situation its extremely difficult to ignore the general incompetance of the individual (Gianni Paladini) who was handling salary negotiations and contracts. It was that corrupt Italian Spiv which has landed us in a situation where we have a load of highly paid donkeys on long term contracts which we can't seem to get of the wage bill at present.

Taking into consideration the example of Burnley who I have a lot of admiration for sticking to their rigid wage cap are now in a stronger financial position than what they could have ever hope for a couple of seasons ago. They may yo yo like West Brom a little but they should now have a sound financial footing for the next 5 years if they don't get promoted to PL. On the plus side they also have something to build upon from last season. I have always advocated a short stint in the PL followed by another instant promotion with minimal outlay on transfer fees and wages thats when you can think about raising your wage cap.

Now with regards to our situation should we follow Burnleys example? Absolutely, but long term investing in youth is also to running a sucessful football club and thats why it was so important to get Warnock to our club and Paladini out of then way to lay those foundations for the future. If we start developing quality youth players it will be far easier in the future to nuture them and prevent them as best as possible from listening parasitic agents. A football education at youth level should also bring about an understanding of football finances. Lets educate the next generation of footballers, we only have to highlight the failure of the England Team and point them in the direction of sordid tabloid headlines. Footballers need to wise up to the global economic situation as well and clubs need to refuse to meet their wage demands and not be held to ranson. Winning/PL Status isn't everything , for the English game financial stability and survival is now more important for the majority of clubs. More clubs need to follow Burnleys lead and start sticking 2 fingers up at greedy players, its only a matter of time before something gives and there will not be enough money to go around to meet all these players wage demands and its not far away IMO.
          Beautifully put, couldn't agree more.

Comment

The trouble is players do not live in the real world any more. People like Sky and Abramovich have made football a big business and not so much a sport. At some stage clubs have got to put a cap on wages and transfer fees. If clubs stop bowing to players and agents demands then they will have to drop them. Players wages should be structured on bonuses, if they are playing and winning they get more but if they are injured or warming the bench they just get a basic wage. How many players over the years have had long term injuries, been happy picking up big wage packets then making wage demands when they are back playing.(i.e. Cashley Cole, Joe Cole). More and more clubs are going to find themselves in trouble if they don't stand up to these demands. The trouble is there always someone out there who will pay it.

Comment

I would rather finish mid table in the Championship than put the club into admin for one season in the Prem.Hull were promoted debt free yet 2 seasons later are £35m in debt.Is it really worth it?.

I would rather have a club to watch in the Championship then run the risk of collapse to pay wages to players who will be gone like a shot when things go bad or they get offered even more cash.

Comment

germany is the way forward. im sure i read if any club didnt have an academy they had license removed which bans them from playing all together? Also clubs can only spend what they actually make. Would make players actually play for club for reasons other than financial. So what if it caused a mass exodus of so called big names. It would also show them up as true money grabbing wh0res who dont care about team, only about money

Comment

Working...
                X