No announcement yet.

Salter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Players are only worth what teams are willing to pay.
    If JCS isn't commanding a good 3m+ fee I don't see why sell him when I'm not sure who we would get in to replace him.

Our central pairing is what dragged the team to safety. Rocking that boat is what is most likely to push us down I to relegation again rather than anything else.

We might have the best center back pairing of any team outside the top 3/4 next season and that's a great foundation to build on.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post
      Marti Cifuentes says QPR need to make “very accurate decisions” on players this summer and “learn from mistakes” of the past.

Mistakes of the past include not selling players when there is interest in them. We hold on too long, injury, dips in form and the value is gone.

I have confidence in the ability of the club to bring in decent replacements. We need income from player sales to reinvest. I think Marti's statement above relates to both the selling and buying of players.
      Yes. We have to sell. I think with likes of Dykes, Field, Willock and Chair (notwithstanding his jail issues) their value is kinda dialed-in and set. However, JCS is a relative newcomer in terms of being a regular starter and establishing his reputation so I feel his value could actually rise over Initial months of next season providing he maintains his fitness, form and trajectory.

Dunno if it materially helps but new season starts Aug 10th and transfer window closes Sep 1st so there will be 4 or 5 games before window shuts.... 3 emphatic victories and imperious displays from JCS might induce a bidding war at 10pm on the 1st?

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post

It could well be a reason why we don't get £15m but for newly promoted teams to the prem and the other lower three, surely £8m players are cheap and bulks out their squads? Even a relegated club to the championship could afford that.

My guess is that he wont be with us next season. He was put on the bench today for a reason!!
        That`s true.
        QPR
        Best team in the world
        Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post

Yes. We have to sell. I think with likes of Dykes, Field, Willock and Chair (notwithstanding his jail issues) their value is kinda dialed-in and set. However, JCS is a relative newcomer in terms of being a regular starter and establishing his reputation so I feel his value could actually rise over Initial months of next season providing he maintains his fitness, form and trajectory.

Dunno if it materially helps but new season starts Aug 10th and transfer window closes Sep 1st so there will be 4 or 5 games before window shuts.... 3 emphatic victories and imperious displays from JCS might induce a bidding war at 10pm on the 1st?
          I would not sell Sam Field now. Yes, we need to generate revenue but he is so important to the club, we also need to win football matches. Jake is a very good player and has been integral to some of our best performances, but he is replaceable, and while no one is irreplacable Sam strikes me as the model professional and having been through so much with club is a very important part of the dressing room. Unless we are talking mega money I wouldn't do it.

Comment

So many championship sides in for Willock. Looking like Norwich are favourites to sign him. Obviously they still have parachute payment to offer a very attractive package. Going to be a hard one to take as I think Marti and Willock became like salt and pepper on the table a perfect match.
            I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

Cannot accept the logic of selling, selling selling. Are we a football club trying to be succesful or just a mini market selling players? We already know that Willock will leave for free. If Eze is sold we do not need to sell others. What we must do is take care of contracts are offered to existing players so as not end up with many pkayes 'out of contract.' This team rallied around Cifuentis ... why are we trying to dismantle it?

Comment

Originally posted by Martinmalta View Post
                Cannot accept the logic of selling, selling selling. Are we a football club trying to be succesful or just a mini market selling players? We already know that Willock will leave for free. If Eze is sold we do not need to sell others. What we must do is take care of contracts are offered to existing players so as not end up with many pkayes 'out of contract.' This team rallied around Cifuentis ... why are we trying to dismantle it?
                It's better to look at our overall financial status, if we were not in such financial difficulty we wouldn't need to sell players, but we are and probably will be for some time given the revenue QPR can generate outside of selling players (ie not much other than TV rights). Infact one of the reasons we have this difficulty is not generating ebough players to sell, we've stagnated since Eze.

We are where we are and the reality is we need to sell players like Salter, to be able to replace him and strengthen another area. If we don't sell players, we can't buy players. we need to buy players to srengthen certain positions, even if it seems counter intuitive weakening one to do so. We must be brave and believe we can sell players of value, and buy players in that will be better, rather than hoarding.

Comment

We HAVE to sell... not doing so just stores up huge problems in next 2/3 seasons. We have to sell our best players at height of their value after benefitting from their services for 2ish years... Brentford sold their best players whilst club was on an upward trajectory, Watkins, Benrama etc etc. They WILL sell Toney this Summer. We have to back owners and Marti to find a replacement for say, Field. Maybe we already have that replacement in Dixon-Bonner?

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post
                    We HAVE to sell... not doing so just stores up huge problems in next 2/3 seasons. We have to sell our best players at height of their value after benefitting from their services for 2ish years... Brentford sold their best players whilst club was on an upward trajectory, Watkins, Benrama etc etc. They WILL sell Toney this Summer. We have to back owners and Marti to find a replacement for say, Field. Maybe we already have that replacement in Dixon-Bonner?
                    To be challenging in the championship, teams tend to have attendances around 30,000 per game.

To get close to that we need income equivalent to an additional 14,000 fans over 23 games at a ticket price of £35. This equates to missing income of nearly £11.3m a season (14,000 x 23 x £35).

Eze £14m, JCS £10m and Chair £6m would bring in £30m this summer, which would put us on a par with bigger championship teams which don't have parachute money.

We need to bring in £30m during every three year cycle and that has to start this summer. We then have to aim to sell the the next crop by the summer of 2027 at the latest.

Comment

Here's a bigger question then, what do we need to do in order to make it so we do not have to sell our best players every other season?

Because a bigger, multi-use stadium isn't the answer, though it would certainly help.

They way I see it, looking at other clubs is we simply have to sell players to the bigger teams. Our scouting and training/coaching resources (praise the almighty for that new facility) are literally our most important assets as we'md never hope to gain the revenue we're likely due from Eze by traditional means. Unless there's a better way of staying solvent and ideally even making money, then we gotta sell.

But not everyone that has an offer put in. We have to be reasonably selective at this point in time, we can't rip the spine out of a team that's barely on it's feet. Build some squad depth before we consider selling the likes of Field. JCS, time to cash in.

Comment

Are clubs prepared to go for Salter with his injury record the last couple of years only been regular last half of season with Marti in charge

Comment

Originally posted by Martinmalta View Post
                          One of the few ways small clubs can succeed is to buy the right talented players on the cheap, develop and improve these talented players, and sell for top dollars, and reinvest smart. Rinse and repeat. This is the Brentford way. They sold all the top performers again and again to become successful, and reinvested wisely. We can also sell to become successful, or we can do what we did in the past. I would like to go for the Brentford formula, not the past QPR formula. Marti has stated we have to learn from the past and not hold onto players, seeing their contracts run down with zero value in the end of the day. That is the only way we can have success.

Keeping hold of Clarke-Salter (assuming he does not want to extend his present contract at the terms we can offer) will be the old QPR way. We would not have learned much of past mistakes if we continued going down this route.

And let it be clear: We can not match Premier League clubs that are prepared to offer Clark-Salter north of 30k/week, and we can probably not match the newly relegated teams with parachute budgets either. So to think we can convince him to extend is not realistic. However, if the only suitor would be a club the level of Stoke, there could be a chance of course. However, I am still not certain we should keep him if Stoke can pay £6m. Those money can hopefully be spent wiser.

Comment

Originally posted by QPROslo View Post

However, if the only suitor would be a club the level of Stoke, there could be a chance of course. However, I am still not certain we should keep him if Stoke can pay £6m. Those money can hopefully be spent wiser.
                            Not just Stoke,........ Celtic, Wolves, Crystal Palace, Burnley and Ipswich also said to be interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeping Giants View Post

Not just Stoke,........ Celtic, Wolves, Crystal Palace, Burnley and Ipswich also said to be interested.
                              As we know attackers going from the championship to the prem command fees in excess of £15m. For a CB it should be at least £10-12m. My money would be on Palace.

Comment

Working...
                              X