Would you take relegation if....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you take relegation if....

We kept Marti, and we were guaranteed not to go under financially.

Both are realistic if we did go down, we'd probably be ok and Marti would like stay on, he's not going to get head hunted or fired, he may quit...

This topic has come up afew times, but now we are on the cusp of it actually happening. I said at the end of GA's tenure i think it'll be better for the club to go down and hard reset. Now I am not sure.

It would all depend on what we could afford for a rebuild, it's needed either way. We have a decent spine of a team, particularly in defence and through Field, Colback. As we get further up the pitch it becmes more dicey. Our better players are either ageing, or in this limbo of inconsistent performance and uncertainty on future. I'm looking at Cook, Colback, Andersen, Willock, Chair, JCS, Begovic, Willock. They could all go in a relegation fire sale. What would we be left with?

I believe if we kept this side as is, kept Marti, less the loanees, added a striker and a midfielder of some quality we would walk League 1. We'd have a good time as fans (maybe not some of the away fixtures) and along the way we'd be building a positive platform to return to championship security.

However we will not keep our squad as is, if relegated, will we.

Add those same 2 players (striker/midfielder, yes we need more but hear me out) to what we have and are we a mid table team? Marti's form guide suggests so. Do we need a hard reset, or just a quick ctrl/alt/delete to solve some immediate problems?

My final answer, it's too risky losing Marti, a very promising manager, and i feel this squad has what it takes to push on, given some reinforcements. Further to this, behind the scenes moves have been made and thanks to the deductions of posters like Oslo saving people like me the time of looking into it, there's some positives on the financial side of things, meaning we can start looking at bringing players in that not out catss or free transfers, players of quality at an age where they can add value. But, if we did go down, i'd be optimistic enough not think we are doomed.
    Relegation very bad and not needed
    95.24%
    Relegation a necessary evil
    4.76%

The club IS already resetting. We don't need to go down in order to reset - its perfectly possible to clear out the deadwood, adopt a strict salary cap and make a fist of things in Championship next term. When the latest FSP reporting window closes on 30th June there will be a LOT of clubs sweating and having to cut back next term. I'd rather take our place in tier 2 and back our club to compete.... I don't look at teams like Preston or Blackburn or Millwall or Swansea or Watford as anything special or better-placed than us and I certainly refuse to see us bracketed with Orient, Shrewsbury, Wycombe etc we are better than League One.

Comment

It's Imperative we stay up. I don't buy into the hard reset either, it would appear that our finances whilst still fragile are improving. Why jeopardise something that is starting to look like we may be heading in the right direction, for a change.

Also, whilst Marti is indeed a manager we need to keep hold of, to help to turn things around, managers in general don't tend to stay at clubs very long anymore. If we were to go down and Marti leaves, chances are we won't automatically come back up. We may end up stuck in league 1 for a number of years, and I'm not sure our finances could sustain that.

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post
        The club IS already resetting. We don't need to go down in order to reset - its perfectly possible to clear out the deadwood, adopt a strict salary cap and make a fist of things in Championship next term. When the latest FSP reporting window closes on 30th June there will be a LOT of clubs sweating and having to cut back next term. I'd rather take our place in tier 2 and back our club to compete.... I don't look at teams like Preston or Blackburn or Millwall or Swansea or Watford as anything special or better-placed than us and I certainly refuse to see us bracketed with Orient, Shrewsbury, Wycombe etc we are better than League One.
        I agree entirely.

I would not have done 6 months ago,A and I've progressively come to the same view as your post since Marti arrived.

Comment

Comment

My fear is that the owners may try and bale out at any cost if we go down. Surely they won’t want to keep pitching in a million a month (or whatever the figure is) particularly if Marti has bugged out

Comment

Originally posted by LoftusRoadLad View Post
              Absolutely.

Relegation is not an option with 3 games still to be played. We should be focussed on survival.

Comment

You play at the highest league possible.

The new sky deal has just been confirmed with clubs getting an extra 50%. That should increase our income by around £4m a season. Hopefully that will be used wisely and not thrown around to increase player wages even higher. I'd like to think it will be used to reduce the current annual overspend.

Comment

We are not league one and really shouldn’t even contemplate it. However I’m not confident that if that does happen we would automatically come back up. After this season and the last few games l don’t see much to inspire me. Sorry to be downbeat but we are where we are for a reason. Tbh more downs than ups for last two seasons but that goes with being an R. I’ll be back whatever

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Hooper W12 View Post
                    We are not league one and really shouldn’t even contemplate it. However I’m not confident that if that does happen we would automatically come back up. After this season and the last few games l don’t see much to inspire me. Sorry to be downbeat but we are where we are for a reason. Tbh more downs than ups for last two seasons but that goes with being an R. I’ll be back whatever
                    How many seasons have Derby been. Is this their third? They're a bigger club than us.

Comment

If it happens & we get relegated it will be a sad day but not the end of the world, hope we don’t but will carry on supporting them & renew season tickets until possible

Comment

I know sheep that’s the worry

Comment

Would be extremely disappointing if we got relegated, particularly having managed to haul ourselves clear just a couple of games or so. It would also be a missed opportunity as I would hope with a reasonable summer window and Marti still here we could make decent progress and have a much better season next year. If we go down could easily set us back a few years, perhaps more, and coming straight back up is far from a given. Yes we would survive (probably) and may even enjoy it down there - think our last spell under Ollie there for example. Either which way we will be fine but I am praying we do what we have to do in order to stay up.

Comment

Working...
                          X