Frey, am I wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frey, am I wrong?

I was not a fan if the signing, i've not been a fan of him so far. He's not terrible and he's at least as good as our current options if not a little better, remains to be seen.

Last night i watched the whole game and while I won't fault his effort, he tried, he tried to press and though effective at times he was be physical to the point of clumsiness. He won some headers and stole a yeard twice to get chances, one he scored but ruled offside.

This is beyind the penalty which though very poor, doesn't change my thoughts on the performance.

Is our striker role just a thankless task? Should he have done more in the box, the ball was in there enough that's for sure. Would either of the other 2 have done better?

I think Marti kept him on for a reason, energy levels of the squad in a tough week being one. He was obvisously doing something right tactically. I just really thought in a very good team performance, he was our most ineffective player, alonside Hayden.

I'm just wandering what i'm missing as seeing alot of comments on social media about how immense he was...

Bottom line is our goal threat are Chair and Willock Smyth to a certain extent however I still see Smyth as a impact sub against a defender who's run for 60 mins.

Frey is no better or worse than Dykes imo regardless of the pen miss which was lame we still need a CF next season but he's come to us with hardly any game time so can't be too harsh other than he's a grafter

I think Frey will be not used used sat Dykes or SA will start

Comment

Our striker role is pretty thankless. He needs more games for us to really know what impact he will have assuming he is with us for at least another year. We needed another striker badly in January and as others have said he is pretty much at the level of what we have so at worst adds another much needed body to the squad in that position. Being a lone striker is hard work, it is very physical so for me a solid squad signing. We also need people given our position who will get stuck in and fight and he seems that type. Would be interested to see him as one of two up top for a run of games but our squad more naturally lends itself to one striker so unlikely to see that, at least this season.

Comment

we are shopping in Aldi, that's where we are financially. Pointless and unfair to pick him out. Same with the constant criticism of Dykes
        I must away now, I can no longer tarry
        This morning's tempest I have to cross
        I must be guided without a stumble
        Into the arms I love the most

Comment

Having Frey means we can sell Dykes in the summer. Our finances are dire, we have to sell player(s) this summer. As mentioned above, Frey seems almost a carbon copy of Dykes so I don't think we would be any worse off. Frey has been bought in under Marti's watch so you'd think he's a player who has attributes that Marti wants in his striker?

Comment

Playing one up front difficult for anyone SA alongside last night might have worked two big imposing players
            Should have got three points and deserved them. But the mindset the players have now is nothing short of amazing. Well done Marti

Comment

So on his performance last night, not necessarily him as a player overall. Was he better than I thought he was, am I missing the key positioning, runs, pressing?

To clarify i didn't think he was pony, i've seen Sincs and Dykes play alot worse, he just lumbered in my opinion and was flat footed on afew occasions. Also with the amount of box action i would have thought he'd have been more of a presence. I'd also concede the team performance was very good last night so it's easier to single out someone.

Comment

I'm still undecided on him , thought he could of anticipated where the ball may go from a cross , both him and dykes flat footed and both let a couple of lovely crosses pass them by .
                He's not lazy and wants to do well , why he was given the penalty is beyond me , thought chair would have taken it .

Comment

Yet if you look at the WBA forum they wish they had a forward like him.

Comment

What's he had? 3 starts, 3 subs and 2 goals?
                    I didn't see last night's game, but listened to it and it seems he's getting better.

I watch the penalty, ive seen worse. He clearly wanted to step up and that counts for something.

Last night he hit the crossbar, had one offside, and missed a pen, and was vital on the first goal.

Comment

I thought he ran his legs off last night and won a lot of headers against their CB. Is he any different from Dykes? As others have said it’s a pretty thankless task with nobody to nod it on to and to play a 1-2 with

Comment

Have'nt seen enough of him yet but last night i thought he was good .
                        Yes he is slow and a bit cumbersome but he is definitely a better option as a lone striker than Dykes and Armstrong from what i saw last night .
                        He seems better at holding the ball up and knitting the midfield and forwards together , he also ran a lot and hassled their defenders and there were quite a few times other players should have helped him as their defence were panicking . I just thought his overall display last night made the team play better as a unit , maybe it was a one off but that was by far our best team perfomance of the season.
                        Don't forget we have been shopping in poundland and we needed someone as Dykes and Armstrong just were'nt doing it as a lone striker.

Comment

You're not wrong to question him but you're not right to say he's not terrible he definitely is terrible. Runs around allot but we're playing football not running marathons. Hopefully Armstrong will be back next game in fact the team were brilliant minus him
                          I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreQPR12 View Post
                            You're not wrong to question him but you're not right to say he's not terrible he definitely is terrible. Runs around allot but we're playing football not running marathons. Hopefully Armstrong will be back next game in fact the team were brilliant minus him
                            Agree lots of effort not much in the achievement department. And for me a penalty for a professional footballer is a goal. Just saying

Comment

I think penalty aside Frey had a really good game for us.

He was a constant thorn in the back 4's side - harrying , winning back position - i do think the feel of the game is different when you are actually in the ground - i was really surprised at some of the comments on the match thread re Frey and Smyth i think the both had decent games for us.

Frey is like a Grant Holt or a Ashley Barnes a player that disrupts and hassles someone we have been missing for a while.

Comment

Working...
                              X