X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Frey

Permanent deal.
    ​​​​​​https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/2024/janu...rey-joins-qpr/

Wow ! Reads like an absolute dream of a signing.

Now what was all that rumour dragged up on this site about his current demeanour and circumstances ?

Paff ! All a load of old tosh I bet

Comment

Well done the club.

Not sure how many he will score but he is a different option to anything we have.

Couldn’t expect any more where we are financially and in the league.

When we started loaning out players I wondered if it was to reduce the wage bill to bring someone in - looks like the club have worked hard to do this while keeping us safe from FFP issues.

Kudos.

Comment

Any idea on the length of the contract?

Comment

Originally posted by Undecided View Post
          Wow ! Reads like an absolute dream of a signing.

Now what was all that rumour dragged up on this site about his current demeanour and circumstances ?

Paff ! All a load of old tosh I bet

I am not sure it is old tosh - rather just the facts. But part of the fact is that previously in his career he has had an excellent goal scoring record:

1. Scored 0 - zero - goals in the calendar year of 2023
          2. Hasn't played a competitive match since 14 May 2023
          3. Went on strike in December 2022 to force a loan deal with Schalke 04 (where he was supposed to replace the injured Sebastian Polter - heard about him before?)
          4. Upon returning to Royal Antwerp after his unsuccessful loan spell was prematurely cancelled by Schalke 04 upon their relegation, was not given a squad number at Royal Antwerp and has been frozen out since last summer. Has played for the B team.
          5. Considered a bad egg - attitude issues
          6. Journeyman - played in five countries.
          7. Soon 30, so limited resale value.
          8. But: Prior to December 2022 he has been a very regular scorer on levels comparable to the Championship.
          9. No transfer fee involved as he made a mutual agreement with Antwerp earlier this month to cancel the contract. They have probably paid him up to get rid, like we did with Stefan.
          10. Negotiation made easier by the fact he is a free agent.

As well covered, and pointed out on this board, we are not in a position to pick and choose, so given the situation, this looks like a good signing, despite the concern with the fact that he hasn't played a competitive game for 9 months and hasn't scored since 2022.

I think this is well done by QPR in the financial situation we are in.

Comment

A striker that hasn't scored goals, he'll fit right in.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Welcome aboard Michael... I hope you can hit the ground running.

It's a gamble, but we were never going to get a sure fire finished article on our budget.

Comment

He looks a big lump and handful , just hope he is better than Dykes or Armstrong , should 'nt be too hard but you never know with our recruitment history. Good luck to him

Comment

Originally posted by QPROslo View Post

I am not sure it is old tosh - rather just the facts. But part of the fact is that previously in his career he has had an excellent goal scoring record:

1. Scored 0 - zero - goals in the calendar year of 2023
                      2. Hasn't played a competitive match since 14 May 2023
                      3. Went on strike in December 2022 to force a loan deal with Schalke 04 (where he was supposed to replace the injured Sebastian Polter - heard about him before?)
                      4. Upon returning to Royal Antwerp after his unsuccessful loan spell was prematurely cancelled by Schalke 04 upon their relegation, was not given a squad number at Royal Antwerp and has been frozen out since last summer. Has played for the B team.
                      5. Considered a bad egg - attitude issues
                      6. Journeyman - played in five countries.
                      7. Soon 30, so limited resale value.
                      8. But: Prior to December 2022 he has been a very regular scorer on levels comparable to the Championship.
                      9. No transfer fee involved as he made a mutual agreement with Antwerp earlier this month to cancel the contract. They have probably paid him up to get rid, like we did with Stefan.
                      10. Negotiation made easier by the fact he is a free agent.

As well covered, and pointed out on this board, we are not in a position to pick and choose, so given the situation, this looks like a good signing, despite the concern with the fact that he hasn't played a competitive game for 9 months and hasn't scored since 2022.

I think this is well done by QPR in the financial situation we are in.
                      Sorry Oslo, it was a tongue in cheek comment from me.

I read the club announcement, and couldn't believe the glowing terms used whilst glossing over the last year or so.

Comment

Good luck, hopefully this make a difference. We're gonna have to solve getting the ball to him first.

The last 12 months can be viewed afew different ways and some of our own players are and have been on this sort of frozen out deadlock. We'll know within 3 full games if this was a smart move or not.

Fear at best w'll end up with A hoijland situation where there is a player there, but no serice = no goals. At worst we end up with an avergae player, another Polter, with no service.

Sort the midfield please club. Do it now or go down.

Comment

Originally posted by Undecided View Post

Sorry Oslo, it was a tongue in cheek comment from me.

I read the club announcement, and couldn't believe the glowing terms used whilst glossing over the last year or so.
                          Cheers, Undecided

Comment

Agree need to sort our service otherwise to an extent doesn't matter who we have up top.

As I suspect with most people on here only thing I know about this guy is what you can Google. For whatever reason things have gone bad over last year for him. If they hadn't we would have had no chance of signing him. Reading Nourry's c0mments it would seem clear he has taken a hefty wage cut to come here. That shows to me he wants to play and sees this as an important opportunity to get his career back on track and at the very least put himself in the shop window should we go down. Seems a physical player who could suit the Championship.

Given our limitations think club did well to get this deal done and we so desperately need more fire power so a risk worth taking. At 29/30 he is in his prime.

Comment

What's the length of contract?

Comment

Working...
                              X