Armstrong's contract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armstrong's contract

Can clearly see that he is now developing and improving with every game. Does anyone know if he is definately out of contract in the summer or do we have a year option? Sickening to think of losing him on a free after dealing with his growing pains.

We have an option for another year.

Comment

Still needs to sort out his ball control as it’s dreadful at times

Comment

He'll be the finished article just in time to leave on a free if we're not careful.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffqpr View Post
          Still needs to sort out his ball control as it’s dreadful at times
          If rumours/reports are true he is stalling on signing any new or extended contract. So, what would you do today?

Put the most lucrative contract we can afford on the table, ie really push the boat out, a contract that ties him down to 2028 or beyond.
          OR
          Just let him run his existing contract down and look to sell him by this time next year but preferably now or in the Summer before his market value starts to tail off as he gets nearer to being a free agent?

I s'pose I'm basically asking if you think he's worth keeping and investing in.

I personally would but it's not my money and I'm not clued in about our overall financial health.

Comment

As I understand it, whatever happens we won’t lose him on a free as he is under 24, so long as we offer him a contract for the same or more than he is on now. If he walks and signs for someone else but us and the other club cannot agree a fee then it goes to tribunal. We then submit our value and the purchasing team submit theirs. Tribunal then decides on fair fee and more often than not the purchasing team have to pay 20% of any profit on future transfer.

Thats how it used to work anyway. Danny Ings being the most high profile one on his move from Burnley to Liverpool.

Comment

I'm thinking release him this Summer. 28 shots, 3 goals. Not great.

Comment

He's learning his trade on the pitch and is getting better every game. I'd rather this than stick him in the development squads for another three years.

Hes more likely to stay with us if hes getting first team action. If he wants to go to another club and get lost in reserve team football then its a good bye from me.

His contract will get sorted out in the summer when we know what league we'll be in.

Comment

Given the markey value of strikers he's worth investing in depending on what that actully costs (what he wants to be paid).

He's a 3 - 5 million upper league 1 / mid level championship player at present, some more composure and he's got it. He'd have to do a lot more to be any better and I feel that ship has sailed. So balance that out with whatever contract he wants.

Comment

I take it for granted we will exercise the option to extend by a year. I would put him in the shop window if he has not signed a new contract by 1 July. As a principle, clubs like QPR have to cash in when they can, as it is unacceptable to see his contract running down without being extended.

If we get an offer of £2.5m now, with time to find a replacement before the window shuts, I would sell, given the uncertainty about the contract situation.

Comment

Originally posted by djp View Post
                      As I understand it, whatever happens we won’t lose him on a free as he is under 24, so long as we offer him a contract for the same or more than he is on now. If he walks and signs for someone else but us and the other club cannot agree a fee then it goes to tribunal. We then submit our value and the purchasing team submit theirs. Tribunal then decides on fair fee and more often than not the purchasing team have to pay 20% of any profit on future transfer.

Thats how it used to work anyway. Danny Ings being the most high profile one on his move from Burnley to Liverpool.
                      Not sure about this. BOS was under 24 wasn't he? He cleared off for virtually nothing though.... Can foreigners be regarded as "homegrown" kids? Sincs being Irish might fall under same sort of rules that BOS did.

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post

Not sure about this. BOS was under 24 wasn't he? He cleared off for virtually nothing though.... Can foreigners be regarded as "homegrown" kids? Sincs being Irish might fall under same sort of rules that BOS did.
                        BOS turned 24 two weeks before he went to Fenerbahce, so we properly screwed that one up, he should have been offered a deal in January 2020 or sold in that window. Admittedly we did accept an £4.75m offer from Club Brugge in summer of 2020 but BOS turned it down as he planned to leave on a free at end of the following season, but we decided to let Fenerbahce have him for something like 250k in Jan 2021 to avoid getting literally nothing at all.

So the tribunal is for players 23 or under. Check out Danny Ings transfer. And also Ampadu from Exeter to Chelsea. I dunno maybe they have done away with these rules to destroy the small club even further.

There is a downside though, if he say went to Celtic or Fenerbahce even if he was 23 or under, we would get loads less.

Comment

Oh and homegrown status applies to a player who is developed in a country for 3 years between the age of 15-21, we signed him when he was 17 didn’t we, so should be covered by that too

Comment

Originally posted by QPROslo View Post
                            I take it for granted we will exercise the option to extend by a year. I would put him in the shop window if he has not signed a new contract by 1 July. As a principle, clubs like QPR have to cash in when they can, as it is unacceptable to see his contract running down without being extended.

If we get an offer of £2.5m now, with time to find a replacement before the window shuts, I would sell, given the uncertainty about the contract situation.
                            I agree with you i just hope we can tie him down for a 3-4 year contract. This is SA learning year when he finally gets game time he could explode next season and be a 15 million player. He will be 21 next year with hes physique and a good season with goals he will for sure be a target for premier leauge teams.

Comment

We've been crying out for a striker for many seasons. Strikers, good ones that is, are not cheap. It will be madness to let slip from our hands an upcoming prospect like SA. The club should do everything in its power to tie him to a good contract. If we let him go on a free like others did, I see no hope for this club.

Comment

Working...
                              X